•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Project El Taco...1990 BII

RacinNdrummin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Update...

Today I hit up the JY to grab a front drive shaft from an explorer to shorten for the rear. I pulled a shaft and yoke and started to walk through the yard, then I noticed a Mid-90's sport. So I went and checked it out, and notice its a 5-speed, and the shaft was still there, BINGO! So I found the sought after explorer cardan shaft! Also picked up a couple of other small things.

I installed the airbox and then proceded to shorten the drive shaft...

Here is the diffference between the stock B2 CV garbage and the explorer sport Cardan shaft:

NUFF SAID-

So the process begins... I marked a line with permanent marker about 8 inches down the length of the shaft on the Cardan end and proceded to grind the weld down flush with the tube.

Then I wrapped masking tape around the tube in about where the center of the weld was and drew a line around the edge of the tape.

Then I took the shaft to the bandsaw and followed the line around about an 1/8" deep. Next I took a Deadblow and knocked the flange off and out of the end of the tube.

Next I took and Marked the tube 6" in from the end just cut off (the difference of the two shafts to make the length I need) and again masked it off at the line and drew a line around it, and took it back to the band saw and cut it off just shy of the line...

Then I took a grinder and ground the rest down right to the edge of the line so that the end was perpendicular to the tube and checked with a square. I also ground the surface of the end so I could get a good weld on it.

I lined up the lines and installed the end in the tube all the way up to where I sawed...its a very very snug fit.

Then I threw a tig weld down on it just because I can :D

Done!

Thats as far as I got today, but im sure ill get some decent progress tomorrow...

Stay tuned.

RacinNdrummin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Got the shafts in today and the underside pretty much done aside from the exhaust, the new rear shaft fits like a dream. Spent more time running around getting parts from auto part stores than anything. Also got the belt on and some more small stuff out of the way. Picked up a Magnaflow cat and some sensors, Going to toss a thrush welded muffler on as well.

All I have left is some minor wiring, my intake tube, a coolant sensor adapter for my sender and CLT, and the exhaust. If all goes well, Ill have the thing running tomorrow night.

countryboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
good luck and i just subscribed got to go read the rest

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
:drool:

Great job on the driveshaft!

Can't wait until this one is done. That native american front end really gives it a...'natural' look. :icon_twisted:

I like it.

Last edited:

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Dude this is an Awesome build! Me likes very much... :icon_thumby:

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Vehicle
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
not often i read 6 pages of a thread in one sitting.
props. guess i need to start working on my 4.0 swap. not a SOHC tho :annoyed:

RacinNdrummin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I have found another thread where someone put a SOHC in their 94 explorer:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=159001

I want to do the same to my 93 ranger. i have the SOHC engine in my garage, i just need to find a fuel rail from a 97 SOHC.

I saw this thread when I started the SOHC swap, but the funny thing about it is it never shows the truck running, or even the engine in the vehicle. What he said about the details convinces me that he at least had the engine in, but nothing proves that he actually had it running. He never went into detail about the injectors (at least from what I remember), Nor did he mention hood clearance issues and lots of other stuff. From what he wrote in his thread, I could have written before I started working on mine again.

Its nothing against him, I just wanna see some video or at least pictures of his setup.

Im gonna get my ass outside and get plugging away at this thing, I wanna hear it run.

cargs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
I saw this thread when I started the SOHC swap, but the funny thing about it is it never shows the truck running, or even the engine in the vehicle. What he said about the details convinces me that he at least had the engine in, but nothing proves that he actually had it running. He never went into detail about the injectors (at least from what I remember), Nor did he mention hood clearance issues and lots of other stuff. From what he wrote in his thread, I could have written before I started working on mine again.

Its nothing against him, I just wanna see some video or at least pictures of his setup.

Im gonna get my ass outside and get plugging away at this thing, I wanna hear it run.
Fair enough... I want to see yours run! mostly because I want to do the same thing. I have a 2005 ranger SOHC 4.0L in the garage.

RacinNdrummin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Well I just about have it buttoned up, its got fluids, turned it over and Im not getting any fuel pump action. Now I had this problem before it got parked, in fact it was the reason it got parked, so Im sure, being that its a totally different fuel pump relay, that it has to be the pump. Luckily I have a spare 110lph pump that was going to go on my mustang when I had it, So tomorrow Ill drop the tank and install that and a new sending unit. The good news is that it has spark and turns over beautifully, I sprayed some Carb cleaner down the tube and it popped and stuttered when I turned it over.

Im also having problems with the neutral saftey switch or something, because it doesnt want to turn over at the key, but I can get it to turn over by jumping the relay. The little wire that provides the signal isnt giving me anything when the key is turned. Im convinced its got to be the saftey switch deal, so Ill investigate that further.

Tomorrow that plan is to:
Drop the tank/install FP
Figure out the safety switch deal
start the engine
Bleed the brakes
Bleed the clutch
Run exhaust
Put the plates on and drive it

more tomorrow...

cargs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Nice work. I can't wait to see a video of this running.

IIRC, You changed the top plate of the transmission, put the 94 on the 2006? could this be part of the problem with the safety switch?

good luck.

ford boy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4.0 sohc,4.6,460
ive got a 85 ranger body on a 95 explorer frame with a 01 sohc 4.0 motor project. you all are allot closer to starting then i am. im just starting my project

RacinNdrummin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
It runs!!!!!!:icon_hornsup::icon_pepsi:

Helps when you have the computer and inertia switch hooked up...(It was a long day yesterday);missingteeth;

Video later...

RacinNdrummin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
This thing is just weird, the fuel pump was working just fine this afternoon, and now it just stopped working. Im getting power all the way back to the pump and is grounding just fine, but the pump just isnt working now. Tomorrow im going to pull out the sender and pump and find out whats up.

On another note, I was out at the JY today and I found a Y-pipe from an explorer that somebody cut the cat out of and I can use that to cut some some time out of fabbing the exhaust.

Also, for some reason the start signal is split in btween the fire wall and the relay, so thats why it wasnt starting with the key. I just tapped off the wire out of the round connector, and it turns over just fine with the key now.

Just a few bugs to work out tomorrow and it should be driveable, Ill have video as soon as I have fuel again.

RacinNdrummin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Here is a few pics after I turned it around and after the engine bay was together:

Tomorrow after work, I plan to get the exhaust done, get the hood on, and get the front bumper on as well as do the blinker Mod as im not putting on the lower valance and blinkers.

Ill get some more videos when I have it roadable as well as a sound clip with the thrush.