•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Project Micro Machine

DOPIESLC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
01'/90'
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
D-tech 2.3L
This is what I started with: 1990 B2 Eddie Bauer Edition that has a 4" rough country lift, 2.9l, a4ld, BW1354(electronic), 32" BFG's from 1992, 15x8 Raceline wheels, and stickers everywhere.

Then added some brand new 33" BFG's to replace those horrible old tires. Also took the stickers off.

After bringing it home I found that I had an over heating issue! Big shocker right! Well changed the water pump, radiator, hoses, theremostat, and fixing valve cover leaks, it was running great until this happened

So the tear down started. Front end out and a used dana 35 3rd member with 4.56 gears and lock right installed. Along with extended radius arms with f150 mounts installed. With coil springs retainers bolted in.

Then came the rear axle. I chose to stay 7.5. I picked this axle for $50 and it had 4.10 gears and limited slip installed already. Had to match the front and added 4.56 gears with notched cross pin. Reinstalled into the B2. Key word of advice don't sit under your rig and wack your head against the bumper and knock if off the jack. Lucky for me there were jackstands holding the frame, but did not save my head. After hitting the bumper with my head and falling off the jack, it landed on my head and knocked me out cold for 20 mins. ER trip!

Bought some more goodies for future projects.

Well here is where I am at now. Currently the 2.9, a4ld, and transfercase are taken out. I am
currently attempting a 2001 2.3 duratec and m5od swap from a wrecked ranger.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
Glad to see all the pics. It looks like a great start.

Richard

Last edited:

DOPIESLC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
01'/90'
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
D-tech 2.3L
Yeah all pictures:yahoo: The motor swap is going to be interesting.

jhammel85

On here ignoring work
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
It's looking good. THe truck looks like it's still in very good shape for the age!

I'm looking forward to hearing and seeing more on the swap!

DOPIESLC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
01'/90'
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
D-tech 2.3L
Surprising it is in good shape. Planning on repainting this spring. I believe I have all the wiring figured out. But you never know.

DOPIESLC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
01'/90'
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
D-tech 2.3L
Well some update have happened along the way of this build. Decided to use an unrusted body of the wrecked ranger instead of my 24 year body.

racer1044

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
Engine Size
Looks like your off to a good start. I think putting a newer 4 cyl is a great idea we have one in our work truck its pretty peppy. What year f150 did those RA brackets come from? And could you snap a few more pics of it.

DOPIESLC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
01'/90'
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
D-tech 2.3L
Ya I can take a few pics of the mounts when I get home today. They were from a 70's F150. Not sure on the year.

racer1044

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
Engine Size
Thanks man. They look super easy to mount. I don't want to put a whole lot of effort into radius arm mounts for the ttb not sure how long its gonna stay lol.

DOPIESLC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
01'/90'
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
D-tech 2.3L
Here are some more pictures of the mounts.

And here is my first mig weld experience. Need to turn down the wire speed. But I'm getting it figured out.

Also started the transmission tear down to swap 2wd for 4x4. If anybody wants to know the duratec m5od gears have a smaller I.d. then any m5od does. So looks like I am now on the hunt for a m5od to rob the guts out of to put in mine.

PlumCrazy

Solid Axle Swap
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I may have a spare set of gears at the shop. I would send them your way for the cost of a large flat rate box. (like 12 bucks)

DOPIESLC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
01'/90'
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
D-tech 2.3L
Hmm tempting. Question though where could I get everything else? Like needle bearings, syncro assembly, etc? Mainly why I was asking about the difference between the 2.3/2.9/3.0 M5OD and 4.0 M5OD was because its the 1st and 2nd gear that is the problem. Everything else fit perfect except the those 2.

Last edited:

PlumCrazy

Solid Axle Swap
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I have all the bearings, or look on Cobratransmission.com

You will need a shim kit and input bearing oil slinger at the minimum anyway. I highly recommend replacing the pocket bearing since it is the number 1 failure point in these trannies.

Last edited:

PlumCrazy

Solid Axle Swap
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
If/when you get a trans that works..I would be interested in your original Duratec gearset

DOPIESLC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
01'/90'
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
D-tech 2.3L
Alright I will let you know.

Are we still on for the trade back for the shaft and tailhousing I bought from you? They won't work for what I need.

Last edited:

PlumCrazy

Solid Axle Swap
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Won't you still need the shaft and ext housing to make a 4x4 trans?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

racer1044

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
Engine Size
Thanks for those pics man. I'm trying to figure out what they came off of because they are perfect for what i need.

DOPIESLC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
01'/90'
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
D-tech 2.3L
Won't you still need the shaft and ext housing to make a 4x4 trans?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
Not if I get an entire transmission to do the swap. Then I will end up taking everything off from it. But like I said I will check out my options for the swap. Cause if I need countershaft gears also then my best bet would be getting an entire transmission.

DOPIESLC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
01'/90'
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
D-tech 2.3L
Thanks for those pics man. I'm trying to figure out what they came off of because they are perfect for what i need.
I got them from a member on here by the name of Skiboarder. He will be able to tell you exactly what he pulled them off from. All I know is a 1970's 4x4 f150.

DOPIESLC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
01'/90'
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
D-tech 2.3L
I have swapped out the gears and output shaft. If anybody wants to know how to make a duratec m5od 4 wheel drive. All you need is an output shaft and gears from a older M5od. Both sets of gears are the same outer diameter but have a different inner diameter. Counter shaft assembly are the same on both transmissions.

M5od from a 1994 ranger 3.0. scored a transmission that was already rebuilt with new parts.

Out shaft swapped into duratec transmission

Last edited: