•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

quality oil filter

79F1504X400

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L,6.6L
Going with the Motorcraft FL-1A, Wix, and Purolator crowd. Used Fram for years, till one developed a pin hole leak for why I don't know. Then I did the research on filters. Yup....Fram is the worst!! Had a Ply***th mini-van for awhile and those guys on that forum even recommended using a Motorcraft filter on the Mopar!! YEAH BUDDY!!!:headbang:

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The order of filter quality that a guy who is fairly unbiased in any direction once told me was

AC Delco
Motorcraft
Wix
Everyone else

Fram

PlumCrazy

Solid Axle Swap
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Always ran NAPA Gold (since thats where our farm's commercial account was) Then I ran Motorcraft when I started working at Advance (20% off). Now I am back to running a NAPA Gold 1773 (Same valving and thread/o-ring size as the stock 1515, but holds an extra half qt and has 150% of the filter media). I would like to get the Motorcraft part # for the NAPA 1773.

fastpakr

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Lima
always ran napa gold (since thats where our farm's commercial account was) then i ran motorcraft when i started working at advance (20% off). Now i am back to running a napa gold 1773 (same valving and thread/o-ring size as the stock 1515, but holds an extra half qt and has 150% of the filter media). I would like to get the motorcraft part # for the napa 1773.
fl299.

Explosive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Once you are done with your research on Fram, go grab a dictionary and learn to spell.

That made my head hurt and I'm still not sure what you said.
Do you smoke crack regularly ?

Twister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1987
Vehicle
Duh
Engine Size
2.8L, 2.9L
so does the 2.8 run a different oil?

MountainMike

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
245 CID
Are you positive on that? I've yet to see a FL-299 at the dealer. What does it go on? Maybe I've just seen an updated number... I'm curious now:icon_twisted:

chazzone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
so does the 2.8 run a different oil?
Ford recommends 5W-30 for both engines for all climate conditions, although it is noted that 10W-30 is only acceptable for hot climates.

The point is that 5W-30 will protect just as well when the motor is hot, but get moving faster when it is cool/cold, thus decreasing wear.

These engines have enough oiling issues without making it worse.

If you live where it never gets below 80 degrees, you probably shouldn't worry about it, but if it gets cool/cold where you are, then you should use the 5W-30.

Not trying to bust your balls, just giving the best information I can. :icon_thumby:

fastpakr

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Lima
Are you positive on that? I've yet to see a FL-299 at the dealer. What does it go on? Maybe I've just seen an updated number... I'm curious now:icon_twisted:
Not at all positive. Just found it on a google search that pointed me to a discussion where people were looking for the Motorcraft version of the Napa filter.

PlumCrazy

Solid Axle Swap
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Not at all positive. Just found it on a google search that pointed me to a discussion where people were looking for the Motorcraft version of the Napa filter.
Thats what I did too.lol I will run the # at Advance and see if I can get it through them or not. I only found the cheapo fleet Fram #, the Purolator #, the NAPA #, and the AC Delco #. It never ran across the Motorcraft #.

fireexploder93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 HOV
Once you are done with your research on Fram, go grab a dictionary and learn to spell.

That made my head hurt and I'm still not sure what you said.
well they only reason why the oil dosen't stay in the motor is that i have a slow leak in my rear main. but back to my statment, use what you want!!!!:icon_hornsup::icon_surprised::icon_bounceblue::icon_confused::icon_rofl::headbang::bawling::icon_twisted::icon_welder::bsflag:

Twister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1987
Vehicle
Duh
Engine Size
2.8L, 2.9L
Ok thanks, it gets down to -25*F in the winter and up too 100*F in the summer, so i will just start using 5w-30 from now on.

extremeema

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
bronco2

Ok what about in east what oil should u use.

MountainMike

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
245 CID
Looked into that FL-299, that is a long ass filter. On my Ranger which runs a Motorcraft FL-1-A the only upgrade I would do is start running a FL-1-HP. Which as the last two letters state is a high performance version. HP, yeah the Motorcraft guys are so creative:D.

PlumCrazy

Solid Axle Swap
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Looked into that FL-299, that is a long ass filter. On my Ranger which runs a Motorcraft FL-1-A the only upgrade I would do is start running a FL-1-HP. Which as the last two letters state is a high performance version. HP, yeah the Motorcraft guys are so creative:D.
Is it about as long as the filter on the left?

Thats the NAPA 1773 its about 7" long. It is next to the FL-1-A equivalent.

MountainMike

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
245 CID
That looks to be about right. Its dimensions are almost awkward.

PlumCrazy

Solid Axle Swap
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
That looks to be about right. Its dimensions are almost awkward.
Thats the filter I am running, it adds about a 1/2 qt. of capacity and has more filter media.

-PlumCrazy