•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

quality oil filter

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Hmmm we have ran fram on almost all our cars and never had a problem. But we usually run whats ever on sale at autozone.
I've personally seen 6 blown engines with fram filters on them (more than any other one brand) and know of 6 more owned by people I know that blew before I met them.

But I do also know people that run them for years without problems. All I know for sure is that the OE filter is at least the same quality and is usually a dollar or two cheaper, and I always have to kick my one buddy for buying the 2 for $2 store brand filters at autozone and advance.

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
for the 7k change range. WIX.

for anything more. Amsoil absolute efficiency.

Twister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1987
Vehicle
Duh
Engine Size
2.8L, 2.9L
I've personally seen 6 blown engines with fram filters on them (more than any other one brand) and know of 6 more owned by people I know that blew before I met them.

But I do also know people that run them for years without problems. All I know for sure is that the OE filter is at least the same quality and is usually a dollar or two cheaper, and I always have to kick my one buddy for buying the 2 for $2 store brand filters at autozone and advance.
:icon_rofl: Usually its an stp or a fram. I would not go any further down the line that stp. The names alone of the cheaper brands make me look away (ie. Valucraft)

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Amen. I just grab the motorcraft. It's given me 188K miles of reliable service running on MC filter, so I can't find any fault with them.

bmonee5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
haha i really wouldn't be suprised if fram, motorcraft and all other come from the same factory and all just have different labels on them. I've always gone with fram and never had a problem, but have heard bad things about them. I may go with motorcraft just because thats what ford recommends or maybe just napa golds but maybe not with fram anymore....

bmonee5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
so from what i can read Napa silver and Napa Gold are made by wix??? and wix oil filters are of quality design...so i assume that napa and wix are probably some of the best filters you can get...i know what filter i will buy next!

chazzone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
haha i really wouldn't be suprised if fram, motorcraft and all other come from the same factory and all just have different labels on them. I've always gone with fram and never had a problem, but have heard bad things about them. I may go with motorcraft just because thats what ford recommends or maybe just napa golds but maybe not with fram anymore....
Motorcraft is actually a custom Purolator design. Fram is simply junk. Wix makes good filters.

Hard to beat Motorcraft, though.

I do a 9,000 OCI (Rotella synthetic 5W-40), and change the filter every 3,000 miles.

Twister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1987
Vehicle
Duh
Engine Size
2.8L, 2.9L
Ok before my other forum went down, i read someone said not to run 10w oil in a bronco II. Would anyone know why this would be, or if it is true?

chazzone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Ok before my other forum went down, i read someone said not to run 10w oil in a bronco II. Would anyone know why this would be, or if it is true?

Yeah, it's true. That's why i posted it. First, look at your owner's manual. For the 2.9, Ford recommends 5W-30.
The reason is simple on a lot of levels.
First, the engine was designed to run on that oil.
Why not run 10W, mainly because of wear, more than 90% of engine wear occurs at start up. The higher the initial viscosity, the longer it takes to get the oil moving, and the more wear results.
That's why no one uses straight weight oil anymore.
Multi-vis oils are really a misnomer. The lower number is related to cold temp flow, the higher number is related to operating temperature.
A 0W-30 will have the same viscosity, regardless of temp (up to a point, we could be talking about extremes here, but we don't live in Antarctica or deep space).
While a straight 30 wt will start out very viscous, then thin out as it gets warmer.
Since there were no 0W-30 oils offered in the late 80's, Ford recommended the best option.
If you're running 10W oil, you are wearing out the engine components faster.
If you want better protection, use 5W40.

Last edited:

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
From the Ford Shop manual 1987 RBV edition:

Acceptable oil specs for the Ford Ranger/B2 are

10W40 Super Premium PN XO-10W40-QSP
5W30 Super Premium PN XO-5W-30-QSP
10W30 Premium PN XO-10W30-QP
20W40 Premium PN XO-20W40-QP
SAE-30 Super Duty XO-30-QSD
SAE 15W40 Super Duty XO-15W40-QSD

The appropriate one for you depends on your location, the time of year, and the average expected temp for the OIC. 10-30 is fine and is the mid range oil that will probably give you the best overall protection across the widest range of temps.

chazzone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Hey, it's your engine, and if you want to ignore the facts, then go right ahead.
"Acceptable" is not "optimal", and a 30 year old service manual that ignores 30 years of oil development is worthless IMO.
I assumed that you were looking for the best information for the best option for your vehicle, and that's what I gave you.

Twister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1987
Vehicle
Duh
Engine Size
2.8L, 2.9L
Did the 2.8 run a different oil than the 2.9. And i dont have one piece of the owners manual.

fireexploder93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 HOV
wow, pices are pices and parts are parts. and the filter thing, six in one hand and half dozen in the other, use what you can afford, and what you fell comfortbul with, i personaly use fram on everything and have never ever had a problem, and that goes with hydro pumps on farm equpment, tractors, lawn mowers. but its all about what you want to use and lets remimber thats what this great country is based on and is all about the freedom to chose what you want. and remimber ther great words of my grandmother, "you get what you pay for" 199398 on my exploder FRAM

Explosive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Motorcraft makes a great filter.

Explosive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
wow, pices are pices and parts are parts. and the filter thing, six in one hand and half dozen in the other, use what you can afford, and what you fell comfortbul with, i personaly use fram on everything and have never ever had a problem, and that goes with hydro pumps on farm equpment, tractors, lawn mowers. but its all about what you want to use and lets remimber thats what this great country is based on and is all about the freedom to chose what you want. and remimber ther great words of my grandmother, "you get what you pay for" 199398 on my exploder FRAM
Ever do any research on FRAM filters ? Most people like the oil to stay in their motor.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Ever do any research on FRAM filters ? Most people like the oil to stay in their motor.
Once you are done with your research on Fram, go grab a dictionary and learn to spell.

That made my head hurt and I'm still not sure what you said.