•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Quick question

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
I have bought universal cats before. YOu can definitely save a lot of money in some cases. I bought a cat, welded an O2 bung and created what Dodge and others were selling for $400, for less than $100.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I have bought universal cats before. YOu can definitely save a lot of money in some cases. I bought a cat, welded an O2 bung and created what Dodge and others were selling for $400, for less than $100.
My Bronco 2 is an 84 so the O2 sensor is before the cat and isn't even hooked up but right now the cat on my bronco 2 is well not even there, goes from the headers to a 2' section of pipe then to a muffler and then a 1 foot section of pipe so my exhaust outlet is right under the passenger seat. Going to get it back to the factory location here as soon as I can. Muffler shop told me they wouldn't need to install a cat because of the non-emission requirements where I live but I'm going to have one put on anyways shop quoted me $195 for a complete exhaust from the headers back without a cat, but said if I got a cat they wouldn't charge anymore for the install, so I figure why not do it right the first time.

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
My Bronco 2 is an 84 so the O2 sensor is before the cat and isn't even hooked up but right now the cat on my bronco 2 is well not even there, goes from the headers to a 2' section of pipe then to a muffler and then a 1 foot section of pipe so my exhaust outlet is right under the passenger seat. Going to get it back to the factory location here as soon as I can. Muffler shop told me they wouldn't need to install a cat because of the non-emission requirements where I live but I'm going to have one put on anyways shop quoted me $195 for a complete exhaust from the headers back without a cat, but said if I got a cat they wouldn't charge anymore for the install, so I figure why not do it right the first time.
yeah a lot of places are like that... but if you dig down you'll see it's a federal law. Emissions in your area or not doesn't matter. Most shops that know that won't touch them unless they are putting a cat on. I know a local shop wouldn't even redo part of my exhaust and redo my tips if they didn't add a cat....

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Looking into the universal cat makes so much more sense than the $140-180 ones the shops are selling. Below is the link describing in detail the laws of catalytic converters and also includes you cannot install a dual exhaust system in replacement of a single pipe exhaust either, so those of you who have installed such a dual exhaust on a vehicle that didn't come standard with it, also if violating federal law. (Question #7 Page 4 of PDF).

http://www.epa.gov/compliance/enforcement/air/documents/fuelwaivers/exhsysrepair.pdf