•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Quick question

Broncojumper87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I'm sure this has been answered a million times but the exhaust on my 87 b2 is pretty rough would it hurt anything to eliminate the cats? I don't have to worry about an inspection so that isn't a problem.

RonD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I don't think the '87's had sensors on or after the catalytic converter, so computer shouldn't complain.

Often states that don't have emission testing do have roadside checks, so do visual inspections, and no Cats can get you a fine.

What some do in those states is to remove the cat, gut it and run a straight pipe through it, then reinstall it.
Passes visual inspection.

As far as the engine, it should run fine, some say better but when tested on a dyno there is not much difference, mostly "it just feels faster", lol

lil_Blue_Ford

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
It is against federal law to remove the cats. If you want better performance, get an aftermarket high-flow cat. But that will only really do you good if your cat is clogged or if you have a heavily modified engine. Punching out or removing a cat will tend to cause WORSE performance.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Technically removing the cat is a no-no, however if it don't have a cat on it currently as does my 84 Bronco 2, your local exhaust shop or at least mine since emissions isn't required or even checked here can get you an exhaust setup that doesn't have the cat.

As for the operation of the vehicle, it will run just fine without a Cat, but in these newer vehicles if I remember correctly from the explanation by adsm08 the Cat actually isn't much in the way of restriction, and will actually kind of provide some exhaust muffling capabilities as well.

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Mine actually runs better with the Cat... well, my exhaust is cleaner... I need to get another one. If your cat is working properly it will NOT harm your performance or anything.

yes, it's a felony, regardless of if you have emissions or not.

Broncojumper87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I was t really looking for a performance gain just trying to fix the exhaust the cheapest way possible as its pretty beat up

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Mine actually runs better with the Cat... well, my exhaust is cleaner... I need to get another one. If your cat is working properly it will NOT harm your performance or anything.

yes, it's a felony, regardless of if you have emissions or not.
IMO if emissions isn't required and regulated where you live its not exactly illegal if it don't have one period. If its not required it can't be illegal if its not there. However, on my ford ranger when I took the cat off, it didn't run the same, something with the difference in the exhaust restrictions messed with the rest of the engine controls. Once I got the new Cat installed and the exhaust system hooked back up it ran good again. However, I took the cat off so I could get home, wasn't what I wanted but when the cat failed in the middle of no where you do what you need to do to get home.

Where I live there aren't any emissions testing or inspections period, and the local authorities don't care what it has on it as long as it has a muffler that doesn't have over so many decibels of noise they don't care. This mainly being due I think to the town I live in being a ranch and farm town so most of the equipment doesn't have emissions controls to begin with LOL.

My new truck has 4 cats on it and are about the size of a 1 gallon coffee can.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Lets clear something up . . first, its argumentative whether or not running without a cat is beneficial. I do believe in some situation it is, but that's not my point here. Emission systems on a vehicle fall under federal law. What that means is even if a state doesn't test or check for a catalytic converter, it is against federal law to remove any automotive emission system component. This is the same jurisdiction that makes the manufacturers warranty all emission components on a vehicle for 50K miles.

This all being said, sure I have removed items. But I just want to get the facts straight as far as what you can and cannot do by law.

RonD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I was t really looking for a performance gain just trying to fix the exhaust the cheapest way possible as its pretty beat up
The cheapest, right now way, is to remove the Cat and run a straight pipe.

But as PetesPonies points out it is a Federal Violation, and fines of $2,500 are possible, so ................the cheapest way is to find a good deal on a replacement Cat.

And it's better for air quality.

If you are a non-smoker and remove your Cat then I do not want to hear a peep from you when a smoker lights up near you, NOT ONE PEEP!!!
LOL

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
The Cat has to be visibly there according to certain people, but that doesn't mean you can't remove the internal components of the cat and leave the shell there. That being said, you can practically do whatever you feel necessary as long as it looks like there's a cat there. If your vehicle is tuned properly it will pass emissions with or without the cat working as I found out with my 84 ranger when I was having engine issues I removed the cat thinking it was plugged, sure enough it was due to the massive amounts of oil that was being forced through the exhaust. While I was waiting to get the exhaust system delivered I had taken it and had the emissions tested thinking there may have been other problems, sadly it passed without the cat even on the vehicle just had straight pipe into a Flowmaster muffler.

Not saying break the law, but when you need your vehicle and are waiting on parts you do what you need to do to make ends meet. The truck without the cat did run different and seemed like it had better power, but then again maybe it didn't maybe I just got used to the cat being partially plugged so when it was removed to have the exhaust system temporarily fixed it seemed like it had more power.

According to the muffler guy I talked to and got my quote for my bronco 2, he says the new cats they have now really don't restrict anything or to the point where you would notice a power loss.

Anyone on here with exhaust system knowledge? If so are there like different brands of Catalytic Converters that a person could install? Seems like they are ridiculously priced.

Last edited:

lil_Blue_Ford

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
The Cat has to be visibly there according to certain people, but that doesn't mean you can't remove the internal components of the cat and leave the shell there. That being said, you can practically do whatever you feel necessary as long as it looks like there's a cat there. If your vehicle is tuned properly it will pass emissions with or without the cat working as I found out with my 84 ranger when I was having engine issues I removed the cat thinking it was plugged, sure enough it was due to the massive amounts of oil that was being forced through the exhaust. While I was waiting to get the exhaust system delivered I had taken it and had the emissions tested thinking there may have been other problems, sadly it passed without the cat even on the vehicle just had straight pipe into a Flowmaster muffler.

Not saying break the law, but when you need your vehicle and are waiting on parts you do what you need to do to make ends meet. The truck without the cat did run different and seemed like it had better power, but then again maybe it didn't maybe I just got used to the cat being partially plugged so when it was removed to have the exhaust system temporarily fixed it seemed like it had more power.

According to the muffler guy I talked to and got my quote for my bronco 2, he says the new cats they have now really don't restrict anything or to the point where you would notice a power loss.

Anyone on here with exhaust system knowledge? If so are there like different brands of Catalytic Converters that a person could install? Seems like they are ridiculously priced.
TRS does NOT condone tampering with or removing the CAT. I'm actually surprised that no admin has been by to put an end to the "well, technically..."

It's a Federal felony conviction and a fine of $2,500 for removing/tampering with a CAT. Period.

For that price, I'd say it's cheaper to fix the problem. I realize that people can be short on cash. I've been there before and I'm in the same boat right now yet again. The ONLY time you'll net a gain by removing it is if it is plugged, and in that case you should be replacing it. BTW, you can get a few bucks for a junk one by taking it to a scrap yard, it's not always much, but it can help offset the cost of a replacement. If you're short on cash, shop around and pick up a universal fit one, it'll be cheaper than OE, it may not work as well, but it's better than a fine if you're caught. And don't think for a minute that "big brother" doesn't think to watch forums for violations of the law.

Have I removed a CAT before? Well... yea... I took the good one that was in the parts truck I had bought with the rotted out floor (along with the Y-pipe and tailpipe) and used it on a truck with a not-so-good cat and a missing tailpipe. That's legal because the parts truck with the rotted floor got cut up for scrap after I took everything good off it and it went to the scrap yard along with the junk cat.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
TRS does NOT condone tampering with or removing the CAT. I'm actually surprised that no admin has been by to put an end to the "well, technically..."

It's a Federal felony conviction and a fine of $2,500 for removing/tampering with a CAT. Period.

For that price, I'd say it's cheaper to fix the problem. I realize that people can be short on cash. I've been there before and I'm in the same boat right now yet again. The ONLY time you'll net a gain by removing it is if it is plugged, and in that case you should be replacing it. BTW, you can get a few bucks for a junk one by taking it to a scrap yard, it's not always much, but it can help offset the cost of a replacement. If you're short on cash, shop around and pick up a universal fit one, it'll be cheaper than OE, it may not work as well, but it's better than a fine if you're caught. And don't think for a minute that "big brother" doesn't think to watch forums for violations of the law.

Have I removed a CAT before? Well... yea... I took the good one that was in the parts truck I had bought with the rotted out floor (along with the Y-pipe and tailpipe) and used it on a truck with a not-so-good cat and a missing tailpipe. That's legal because the parts truck with the rotted floor got cut up for scrap after I took everything good off it and it went to the scrap yard along with the junk cat.
So would it be a good idea to trust a cat from a salvage yard? I need the whole exhaust from the headers to the tailpipe, I literally have about a 4' section of exhaust including the muffler, which nicely ends right under the passenger seat.

Right now the old cat from my bronco 2 is well who knows where I bought it without one and it will stay that way until I can afford to fix it, fining someone for not having something isn't going to fix the problem hope you realize that. If I can't afford a $150 cat, do you really think I could afford the fine? Absolutely not. What I'm getting at is people need to stop being the belligerence and putting down of others, stating facts doesn't fix the problem, anyone with a brain and has been into some sort of automotive and repair background knows the laws, what I'm saying is, people have to do with what they have until they can afford a proper repair. Read all the stupid posts on here with people hacking jobs because they don't have the money to properly do the repair, is it safe, sometimes yes, often times its not.

Rather than bashing someone for trying to get by with what they have why don't you use common sense and actually answer the question to help them. As what I did in the first reply. Yes the vehicle will operate without a cat, no its not right but if its what you have to do then do it until you can get it fixed.

At some point I'll be able to get the system fixed on my truck, but until then I drive it when I have to, otherwise I have it parked to do other work on it that doesn't require buying parts.

People don't stop and think that not everyone has an endless supply of money. Those of you who are on here bashing me and others for what we are trying to work with. Stop, put yourself in my shoes and the shoes others' on here who do not make more than $1000 in income per month. Wake-up, not everyone is rich, we have to still go to work, try to make ends meet, etc.

My Bronco 2 was supposed to become my daily driver, but I can't trust it due to some mechanical problems that I'm slowly working through when I have the spare money. My nearest scrap yard is over 30 miles away meaning trips to get parts are far and few between. Every-time I think I'm starting to make headway something happens, breaks down, needs repaired, etc. taking what little money I had in reserve to get going again.

I'm not trying to be an ass, adsm08 and I already had a conversation similar to this one, about the whole legality of Cats, all I was trying to do was answer the original question, which I did. I didn't say it was completely legal, and didn't say I wasn't trying to fix my particular problem which now is lying in boxes waiting for me to come up with the money to take the vehicle down and have everything installed as the rust has done its number on every under vehicle component on my bronco 2, to include the nuts and bolts on the whole exhaust, half the hangers aren't even there anymore which may be why most of the exhaust is missing, and the way its been treated by the previous owner the exhaust probably just fell off one day and by the looks of the replacement sections of pipe was a home repair job using some chain link fence posts for the pipe LOL.

Yes, the vehicle will run without a Cat, and depending on the vehicle's age it may run better or worse depending on the amount of electronics in the way of computers and sensors go. I know with my new truck if you take the rear 2 cats off which guess what is completely legal. The front 2 are the actual "mandatory" cats for 50 state emissions, no one seems to have found the reason for the last 2, other than sound dampening.

If you are having major engine problems where tons of oil is blowing by and into the exhaust if you don't fix it quickly enough it will plug the cat and thus leave you having to replace not only the original problem with the oil blow by, but now the $140+ cat on top of that LOL.

Some non-mechanically inclined people should read some of these posts to see what happens when they neglect their vehicle, and it seems like the exhaust system is one of the things that gets neglected most until it falls off LOL.

Broncojumper87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I know it's illegal to remove them that wasn't my question what I was wanting to know is if it would mess with performance in a negative way. My b2 has only one o2 sensor witch is before the two cats so I know the reading from the o2 shouldn't change.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I know it's illegal to remove them that wasn't my question what I was wanting to know is if it would mess with performance in a negative way. My b2 has only one o2 sensor witch is before the two cats so I know the reading from the o2 shouldn't change.
Back to the original question I was trying to answer in the first place before everyone started throwing in their idea's of trying to be the law.

The older models removing the cat will not change the o2 sensor or any performance as the o2 sensor is measuring before the cat anyways. Depending on how old the cat is on your bronco 2 you may notice a slight increase in power after removing it just because the cat is probably failing due to age and contamination from engine oil and other debris.

lil_Blue_Ford

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
So would it be a good idea to trust a cat from a salvage yard? I need the whole exhaust from the headers to the tailpipe, I literally have about a 4' section of exhaust including the muffler, which nicely ends right under the passenger seat.

Right now the old cat from my bronco 2 is well who knows where I bought it without one and it will stay that way until I can afford to fix it, fining someone for not having something isn't going to fix the problem hope you realize that. If I can't afford a $150 cat, do you really think I could afford the fine? Absolutely not. What I'm getting at is people need to stop being the belligerence and putting down of others, stating facts doesn't fix the problem, anyone with a brain and has been into some sort of automotive and repair background knows the laws, what I'm saying is, people have to do with what they have until they can afford a proper repair. Read all the stupid posts on here with people hacking jobs because they don't have the money to properly do the repair, is it safe, sometimes yes, often times its not.

Rather than bashing someone for trying to get by with what they have why don't you use common sense and actually answer the question to help them. As what I did in the first reply. Yes the vehicle will operate without a cat, no its not right but if its what you have to do then do it until you can get it fixed.

At some point I'll be able to get the system fixed on my truck, but until then I drive it when I have to, otherwise I have it parked to do other work on it that doesn't require buying parts.

People don't stop and think that not everyone has an endless supply of money. Those of you who are on here bashing me and others for what we are trying to work with. Stop, put yourself in my shoes and the shoes others' on here who do not make more than $1000 in income per month. Wake-up, not everyone is rich, we have to still go to work, try to make ends meet, etc.

My Bronco 2 was supposed to become my daily driver, but I can't trust it due to some mechanical problems that I'm slowly working through when I have the spare money. My nearest scrap yard is over 30 miles away meaning trips to get parts are far and few between. Every-time I think I'm starting to make headway something happens, breaks down, needs repaired, etc. taking what little money I had in reserve to get going again.

I'm not trying to be an ass, adsm08 and I already had a conversation similar to this one, about the whole legality of Cats, all I was trying to do was answer the original question, which I did. I didn't say it was completely legal, and didn't say I wasn't trying to fix my particular problem which now is lying in boxes waiting for me to come up with the money to take the vehicle down and have everything installed as the rust has done its number on every under vehicle component on my bronco 2, to include the nuts and bolts on the whole exhaust, half the hangers aren't even there anymore which may be why most of the exhaust is missing, and the way its been treated by the previous owner the exhaust probably just fell off one day and by the looks of the replacement sections of pipe was a home repair job using some chain link fence posts for the pipe LOL.

Yes, the vehicle will run without a Cat, and depending on the vehicle's age it may run better or worse depending on the amount of electronics in the way of computers and sensors go. I know with my new truck if you take the rear 2 cats off which guess what is completely legal. The front 2 are the actual "mandatory" cats for 50 state emissions, no one seems to have found the reason for the last 2, other than sound dampening.

If you are having major engine problems where tons of oil is blowing by and into the exhaust if you don't fix it quickly enough it will plug the cat and thus leave you having to replace not only the original problem with the oil blow by, but now the $140+ cat on top of that LOL.

Some non-mechanically inclined people should read some of these posts to see what happens when they neglect their vehicle, and it seems like the exhaust system is one of the things that gets neglected most until it falls off LOL.
Bashing me for stating facts and further by NOT reading my entire post is, IMHO, stupid.\

Just because the admins don't seem to come around this part of the forum very often does not mean that it's safe to argue about messing with Federal law. I've been around this forum long enough to know that people have been banned for less. All I was doing was pointing out the facts of the matter in hopes that some people in this thread would be smart enough to shut up BEFORE an admin in a bad mood strolls through.

I know what it's like to be broke. I drove my DD F-150 for a year and a half with a leaky slave cylinder on the clutch. I didn't have the extra cash to replace it and I didn't have access to a place to do it myself, so it was cheaper to dump brake fluid in it on a daily basis. I know what it's like to find ways to get by. But rather than whine about it on the internet, why not make the effort to find a solution. "But the salvage yard is so far away and it's running right now and..." Please. Necessity USED to be the mother of invention, now so many people are taught to whine about the problem instead of using their mind to find a solution. You have NO idea what problems I've faced and overcome. It wasn't always pretty, but it can be done.

And BTW, that crap about a cat costing $140? I took about 30 seconds to search and I found a direct-fit OE replacement for $75 on clearance and a regular priced one for $100. I know for a fact that universal fit ones are often cheaper than that.

Now please use your head and stop trying to argue.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
My experiece with 2.9s is that if the cats are not damaged the engine will run better and get better mileage if the cats are in place. The heads and exhaust piping are designed to flow at their best with the cats in place, not to mention the Federal felony aspect of removing them.

Basically, there is nothing to be gained unless they are plugged up.

Broncojumper87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Mods please lock my question has been answered and this has turned into a rather annoying pissing contest thanks.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
My experiece with 2.9s is that if the cats are not damaged the engine will run better and get better mileage if the cats are in place. The heads and exhaust piping are designed to flow at their best with the cats in place, not to mention the Federal felony aspect of removing them.

Basically, there is nothing to be gained unless they are plugged up.
Do you know if there are different cats available other than just standard ones or all of them the same regardless for these older vehicles? I'm working on putting my bronco 2 back together this spring and haven't really been able to find anything other than stock which are quite expensive.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I just found a new "Universal" Cat for $68 from walker exhaust. Does this sound like a good deal?

kody28540

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4Cyl
Car removed

I had my cat removed from my 1990 ranger a while back it is illegal for a company or exhaust shop to cut it off but I don't think it's illegal to actually have it off but u could say u did it yourself as long as u didn't have to get inspected I'm from Tennessee but I live in jacksonville I have Tennessee plates so no inspection for me. Taking my cat off gave me a little more power and mad my truck a little louder I've never seen anyone actually have trouble with vehicle with there cat being cut off as long as there aren't o2 sensors on or after it my o2 was before so it didn't conflict