•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

re-attaching my BII roof, help

Boggin

Reaction score
i really really, really regret chopping off my b2, i feel like ive betrayed fords fine work on her, so if anybody has any opinions? i was thinking stick it back in place, weld some brackets across the roof on the inside which will be covered, and maybe the same for the rear post, and maybe on the outside to if i can cover it easily
so any opinions?, and yes the windows bolt on to the roof and the body so there is some more support

crawlin91

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
;brownbag;

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Unless you're pretty good with body work, chopping the roof is a pretty much one way street.

I'd suggest a [good] roll cage with a soft top.

crawlin91

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
there is a write up somewhere on how to do a removable "hard top" on a BII. Ill see if I can find it

Boggin

Reaction score
thanks but not really looking for hard top i just want to put it back on for good and body work shouldnt be a problem one of my buddys and my brother are really good at it

Bogdon

Reaction score
I recently chopped 5-1/2" out of the roof on a 34 ford. Just butt weld it back together, grind and get out the bondo.

crawlin91

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
I recently chopped 5-1/2" out of the roof on a 34 ford. Just butt weld it back together, grind and get out the bondo.

:headbang::shok:

Boggin

Reaction score

thank you sir, i wasnt sure if this was going to work or not

Bogdon

Reaction score
This was my first chop...The only challenging part was the marking. Where to cut was very important. Next was the notching of the rear corners which will not be an issue for you unless you are removing a couple of inches of material while you are at it....hint hint.

The reattaching part was quite easy. Just a crap load of spot welds, keep your spot welds spaced out, the more heat in one area the more the metal will move around on you. The new weld seams on this car will be requiring less that 1/8" of bondo.

Good Luck.

85DANGERanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
is there a company that makes a soft top conversion kit?? i see a lot of BII's with soft tops but im not sure where there getting them

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Are you worried about getting snowed on this winter? lol

Just set 'er back on there and weld it back on. Although, you may need to practice up on yer welding, judging solely on what I have seen you weld in the past...:icon_twisted:

Personally, if I were you and was at your skill level, I would add a rollbar and a soft top. I'm currently working on a removeable hard top, but I have some serious skills in body work...

Last edited:

RumpRangerSTX

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
i think u fu$k up did u cut it nice and neat when cut it off or did cut it up in parts

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
sorry, i just cant help but laugh. I think you should get another B2 ;)

Boggin

Reaction score
b2s are too rare, and dante that was just aluminum lol. i was arc welding a couple days ago with my pop and i done pretty good, i, gonna try to set the roof back on sometime

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Oh, you were doing it on Aluminum? WTF lol. That's why they looked so shitty...

So you were STICK welding the other day? (Mig welding is "Arc" welding too. :icon_thumby:)

Chevelle Kid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I wouldn't stick weld sheet metal.... You're going to burn through too easially. I'd chock this one up as "I shouldn't have done that!" and start looking for a NICE B2 to buy and transfer all your parts over to. They're not rare. I can buy 3 of em for a grand. I've done roofs on cars, I had to weld a roof on to a 1996 Mustang and it's a bitch, older cars like 20s and 30s cars are easier because they're made of nice thick metal (not knockin that sick chop job..that does take talent), B2s and such are a bitch to weld on because of the thin cheap metal Ford used unless you have a nice MIG welder, I'd never stick weld that. Not trying to knock your skills but even most of the experienced welders would have problems stick welding that thin of metal.