•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Rear end clicking 89 Bronco

canoeman1972

Reaction score
I put new clutches in a track lock 1989 Bronco 2. Never done any rear end work before. This was last year it is now making ratcheting clicking maybe almost binding noise when I back up and sometimes in forward. Have not taken off the cover to look at things. Did I maybe not get the clutch pack packed tight enough. I did try the order of plates recomended here. Or is this normal and i should just drive it.

I did have to change the spring perches as the rear end came from a Ranger. My first attempt did not get the right angle for the drive shaft and I had to redo them to get things lined up. The drive shaft is a double cardagan- could that cause noise like this?

thanks

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Sounds a little bit like the clutches might be sticking/slipping (is it when you're making turns it does it?) Did you add in the friction modifier for the limited slip clutches?

Hahnsb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Vehicle
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
You mean a CV joint driveshaft? If so, that's for sure the noise source.

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Been so long since I've seen that junk dual-CV driveshaft I keep forgetting about it. :icon_twisted: If that's the shaft you have (two enclosed CV joints one at each end), then I'd be very suspect of it no doubt.

A double-cardan shaft is what I replaced mine with (has 3 actual u-joints, two right at the t-case, one at the axle).