•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Rebuilding a 2.9 and would like to "slim it down"

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
I am about to rebuild my 2.9 in my b2 and I was wondering if there are some systems that I can delete and the motor still run well. We just rebuild the motor in my buddies 85 Toyota and we deleted the majority of the smog stuff and even down to the power steering, but we got the motor down to just the basics. I know with his being carb and mine EFI mine requires more electronics and etc to run. Anyways I was just curious if yall knew of certain things on the motor I could eliminate to clean up under the hood. Im keep the a/c and p/s. Thanks!

Last edited:

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 2001
Vehicle
1989=Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9 V6
EFI? You'll need every sensor and such. Ford's engine management setup (aka, EEC) will throw CEL's all over the place if just one sensor is missing.

Plus asking how to delete emission related items? Can get some replies that you might not expect. It's best to leave everything intact and rebuild the engine.

S-

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
If you want to strip the 86 2.9 down to it's bare essentials for reliability here is what you do.

Go out and find yourself an +88 computer. Install it. Then get 88 headers and cat (gotta do them as a set because the flange changes). Then find a block off plate to put in place of the EGR valve.

The 86 and 87 had EGR and a knock sensor that are not 100% needed for the engine to run and were in fact deleted in 88. The knock sensor actually was a problem because of the noisy nature of the 2.9's valve train. The lifter clatter would trip the sensor and cause it to nerf the engine.

The manual steering systems were more problematic than the power ones on the early Rangers, so don't bother with a PS delete.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Yeah I wouldn't delete the PS because I am wanting to start a rock crawl build on my b2 and when I run 35's or 37's it might be hard to turn them sitting still with no PS.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
PS just makes it easier to bend and break steering components when you are running oversize tires/wheels and are rock crawling and offroading LOL.

You definitely need to cut down on some things but on the fuel injected models you have to be careful what you remove or you'll be throwing codes for sure if it even runs.

As far as emissions stuff if you have a smog pump you may be able to remove that, but don't go removing cats, mufflers, etc.

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
PS just makes it easier to bend and break steering components when you are running oversize tires/wheels and are rock crawling and offroading LOL.
That is why you upgrade those parts (1-ton Dodge or Chevy TREs and DOM tie rods).

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
That is why you upgrade those parts (1-ton Dodge or Chevy TREs and DOM tie rods).
You would have to because stock steering parts would be bent or broken pretty quick in serious crawling situations LOL.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
well of course almost everything in and under my truck will be upgraded. This is going to be a long term build and I want to build it overkill so I don't have as many issues on the trail.