•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Recent 8.8 find... Need your opinions quick!

charliebrownbII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
I recently came across a man selling a 8.8 rear end out of his 05 ranger. Its got a ARB locker in it and 4.10 gears. He just replaced the spider gears, center pin and all of the bushings in the locker as well as the air seal. The only problem i saw in it was that it is 28 spine. He wants 400 for it. Is this a good deal? Should i snatch it up? I am a young college student and new to my b2. I have searched these threads for days on end and i can tell you all know your stuff and i can trust your opinion.:icon_thumby: Thanks in advance!

Sasquatch_Ryda

Coast Mountain Crawlers
Supporting Member
Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2002/2008
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L/4.0L/6.4L
Seeing as its around $1000 for an ARB....yes it is a good deal.

I'd snatch it up.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
i'd pop the cover and make sure it's got what he's saying, that's a steal

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
I'd be VERY curious why he had to replace the spider gears in it...

You might ask him why and if he knows exactly what model ARB it is.
If it's a RD82, then yeah, I'd say snag it if his spider gear story sounds legit. I'd be a little hesitant to go over 33" tires with the 28-spline shafts though.
If it's the older RD16 ARB however, then RUN! Run very far away! You do not want that POS (already been there, done that).

charliebrownbII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Thank you for the fast responses. I will definitely be popping that cover off to make sure.. 400 for a hollow 8.8 would suck! As for the model ARB he did not say but i will definitely ask him tomorrow when he sends me some pics.

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Yeah they revised the 8.8" ARB I think around '00 because of issues with spider/side gear failure.
I had one in my DD Ranger with half-bald 33s on it at the time it broke (took out the splines on my axle shaft at the same time so I had to get a new axle too).

I know you said the axle was a '05, but that doesn't necessarily guarantee it's not an older unit.
You can tell when you pop the cover, the non-ring-gear side of the carrier on the older unit will have a removable end cap on it (held with 6 bolts IIRC). The newer-design one is all solid on the non-ring-gear side, and has two large oil holes on the edge about big enough you can stick your thumb into.