•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Resurrecting My 89 B2

jprevat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I figured this was a good place to introduce myself and show off my work in progress.

She is a 1989 that I have owned since high school and have decided after ten years its time for a few changes.

She is on 31's on stock (sagging) springs at the moment but I am trying to track down some Explorer springs to take care of that. Along with the Ex's 4.0 and dash, maybe axles too if I get lucky.

I am also having some tranny issues I am trying to get sorted atm. It takes reverse but it surges with constant throttle and likes to slip out of third. I have already pulled the pan and found burnt fluid and black film in the bottom but only a small amount of metal.

Any advise yall would like to share or just general tips and tricks would welcomed.

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Wow, paint, at least on the side looks pretty good. If that is any indication of general body condition/lack of rust you have a good base to build on.

So I am guessing you were in high school 10 years ago?

Have you been driving her all this time or had she been sitting?

I can't speak to the sagging springs but with those tires there doesn't seem much front wheel well clearance. I am not sure if springs alone will fix that or if you need at least a little lift.

With the larger tires, particularly if you are going off road you may want to look at the driveline. Particularly if you are putting in a 4L.

The stock CV drive shaft in the rear is a known weakness compared to a u-joint shaft.

As an 89 I think there is a chance you have some of the heavier driveline components so it probably be good to identify what trans and axles/differentials you have. You may need to upgrade, but maybe you don't.

You have an auto or manual trans? You description sounds like automatic, but speaking about third gear sounds like manual. I dunno I never thin of a auto trans popping out of a single gear.

The surging with constant throttle, when I first read I took that as a reverse issue, that movement in reverse was uneven while engine was constant (one reason I was thinning automatic trans). Was this what you mean't or were you saying the engine surges at constant throttle be it forward or reverse?

Have you tried pulling codes? Run thru the KOEO tests?

jprevat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Wow, paint, at least on the side looks pretty good. If that is any indication of general body condition/lack of rust you have a good base to build on.

So I am guessing you were in high school 10 years ago?

Have you been driving her all this time or had she been sitting?

I can't speak to the sagging springs but with those tires there doesn't seem much front wheel well clearance. I am not sure if springs alone will fix that or if you need at least a little lift.

With the larger tires, particularly if you are going off road you may want to look at the driveline. Particularly if you are putting in a 4L.

The stock CV drive shaft in the rear is a known weakness compared to a u-joint shaft.

As an 89 I think there is a chance you have some of the heavier driveline components so it probably be good to identify what trans and axles/differentials you have. You may need to upgrade, but maybe you don't.

You have an auto or manual trans? You description sounds like automatic, but speaking about third gear sounds like manual. I dunno I never thin of a auto trans popping out of a single gear.

The surging with constant throttle, when I first read I took that as a reverse issue, that movement in reverse was uneven while engine was constant (one reason I was thinning automatic trans). Was this what you mean't or were you saying the engine surges at constant throttle be it forward or reverse?

Have you tried pulling codes? Run thru the KOEO tests?
Thank you for your quick response. Ill see If I can answer everything in order and in a coherent manner.

The red has been oxidizing since I bought her but the white is in really good shape. It has some chipping but I cant say Im all too worried about that. The body and platform are in great shape being that she is an SC B2.

I was in HS ten years ago but I had to get something a little newer for the commute to college and both of my little brothers drove her in my absence until 2009 when she was parked and semi forgotten about until now.

There isnt enough clearance with those tires so it will be getting 2"s all the way around and Im hoping the higher spring rate of the Ex springs will allow me to handle a little better load out back.

I do spend a good amount of time off road and the rear driveshaft has always concerned me but until it breaks it will probably keep its position. It will be a while yet before the 4L goes in so I have time to contemplate.

It has the automatic and runs through 1st and 2nd fine but when the gas is applied in D is simply drops the gear.

In reverse momentum surges with the throttle in a set position. In forward gears there is no problem until I encounter the slip in D.

To be completely honest I wasnt aware I could pull codes from this year model.

I am also not familiar with the KOEO test. Is there somewhere I could find a detailed description of it?

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
There is a check engine light that functions starting in 88. It should come on when you are starting it as a lamp test and then go out. If it doesn't come on then the bulb may be burnt out. It is still possible to get codes without the lamp.

There are three different sets of codes that can be gotten.

The KOEO test (Key On Engine Off) codes are a series of self tests that can be triggered. These basically verify sensors are in range.

The CM (continuous memory) are codes stored in memory that may have been issued while operating.

The KOER test (Key On Engine Running) are some additional tests that build on the KOEO tests and verify items in running condition such as throttle position sensor range.

These things are far from perfect but if you are trying to make sure she is in good running condition uncover any sensor issues.

Just because a sensor is reported as bad doesn't necessarily mean it is that sensor. There may be wiring issues, may be operating issues that cause the bad reading (say a vacuum leak, bad spark, fuel injector). But codes are good place to start with the engine.

This should help you out http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/OBD_I.shtml

If she been sitting a while, normal things like changing oil and coolant would be good. Making sure she gets up to temperature (thermostat isn't stuck open).

The PCV valve is often neglected. They are really cheap and easy to replace but often overlooked. They are very important system for reducing oil and crankcase contamination/junk. Also make sure hose going to PCV valve is drawing vacuum as that can get clogged.

I had some major top end work done right when I got my 87 BII about 2 years ago. I was shocked this spring when going thru verifying every sensor to figure out an emissions issue, that with all the work the shop did (which included pulling the valve covers) that they put the old PCV valve on. The rubber around it was in bad shape, the valve was completely jammed and wasn't doing a thing. I wasn't happy about that. My bad for not looking but I've learned lots in the past couple years and I really wasn't aware of the importance till more recently.

Just thinking thru issues I've had. Even the newest BIIs are approaching 25 years so there are lots of things one is liable to encounter that aren't so common in newer vehicles.

Again with the fluids, getting all new brake fluid probably be good. Differential oil checked if not changed.

I had a problem with one of the rubber brake lines (in the front) collapsing. The rubber has multiple layers of rubber. Externally they may look fine but an inner layer collapses. It can block braking or like in my case, act like a check valve so when you press the brake fluid goes in but doesn't come out (or does so slowly). That was causing one brake to drag and on longer trips the brake rotor would get very hot. It eventually toasted my bearing grease. As the whole thing would get hot I would feel vibration. Never exhibited that when local cause it never warmed up enough.

I had issues with tie-rod ends going back causing steering issues. If steering feels fine you are probably okay but if it feels lose check things out.

Check out the front driveline. Those don't get much use and the u-joints if they never been replaced are pretty old.

It looks like you have auto locking hubs so you can't just lock the hubs and leave in 2WD and see if it generates any vibration in road driving. That is the easiest way to check out front driveline, if it is smooth even into high speeds (full highway speeds) with only a little increase in noise (more rotating) your u-joints bearings and such are good. Any significant vibration grinding or pinging sounds deserve investigation.

Since you can't do that, you can check for looseness underneath and while in 2WD seeing how well each of the shafts turn. Front driveshaft and the left and right axle shafts.

The front shaft yoke into the transfer case may be a bit loose but it seems to tolerate that. I found a u-joint in drive shaft because pushing up and pulling down the amount of looseness changed. It was binding during part of the rotation.

The front drive shaft u-joints are easy to replace. The axle shafts are a pain and two are best done by pulling off the spindles (more of a pain). There are three axle shat u-joints. One on the driver side and two on the passenger side. The inner one on passenger side (closest to the differential) is a royal pain. It is the one I still have to do. There is a c clip in the diff to pull the shaft out of the diff and since front diff cover is the TTB itself it means dropping the front diff. I've heard of people changing that u-joint in place using a ball joint press so I been thinking of that.

And if you ever pull the passenger side spindle off and pull out that axle shaft make sure you pay attention to the phasing putting it back in. The shop I paid to replace the front u-joints didn't do that so I ended up having to take it apart myself to fix it. They insisted phasing didn't make a difference...it does.

I do spend a good amount of time off road and the rear driveshaft has always concerned me but until it breaks it will probably keep its position
That is what everyone seems to do!!!

I just stick to roads and want one of those CV shafts. I don't like the u-joint shaft I have now. It is a small issue, some vibration under heavy accel in first gear mostly, some second. I miss the really smooth action of the original CV shaft.

jprevat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
There is a check engine light that functions starting in 88. It should come on when you are starting it as a lamp test and then go out. If it doesn't come on then the bulb may be burnt out. It is still possible to get codes without the lamp.

There are three different sets of codes that can be gotten.

The KOEO test (Key On Engine Off) codes are a series of self tests that can be triggered. These basically verify sensors are in range.

The CM (continuous memory) are codes stored in memory that may have been issued while operating.

The KOER test (Key On Engine Running) are some additional tests that build on the KOEO tests and verify items in running condition such as throttle position sensor range.

These things are far from perfect but if you are trying to make sure she is in good running condition uncover any sensor issues.

Just because a sensor is reported as bad doesn't necessarily mean it is that sensor. There may be wiring issues, may be operating issues that cause the bad reading (say a vacuum leak, bad spark, fuel injector). But codes are good place to start with the engine.

This should help you out http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/OBD_I.shtml

If she been sitting a while, normal things like changing oil and coolant would be good. Making sure she gets up to temperature (thermostat isn't stuck open).

The PCV valve is often neglected. They are really cheap and easy to replace but often overlooked. They are very important system for reducing oil and crankcase contamination/junk. Also make sure hose going to PCV valve is drawing vacuum as that can get clogged.

I had some major top end work done right when I got my 87 BII about 2 years ago. I was shocked this spring when going thru verifying every sensor to figure out an emissions issue, that with all the work the shop did (which included pulling the valve covers) that they put the old PCV valve on. The rubber around it was in bad shape, the valve was completely jammed and wasn't doing a thing. I wasn't happy about that. My bad for not looking but I've learned lots in the past couple years and I really wasn't aware of the importance till more recently.

Just thinking thru issues I've had. Even the newest BIIs are approaching 25 years so there are lots of things one is liable to encounter that aren't so common in newer vehicles.

Again with the fluids, getting all new brake fluid probably be good. Differential oil checked if not changed.

I had a problem with one of the rubber brake lines (in the front) collapsing. The rubber has multiple layers of rubber. Externally they may look fine but an inner layer collapses. It can block braking or like in my case, act like a check valve so when you press the brake fluid goes in but doesn't come out (or does so slowly). That was causing one brake to drag and on longer trips the brake rotor would get very hot. It eventually toasted my bearing grease. As the whole thing would get hot I would feel vibration. Never exhibited that when local cause it never warmed up enough.

I had issues with tie-rod ends going back causing steering issues. If steering feels fine you are probably okay but if it feels lose check things out.

Check out the front driveline. Those don't get much use and the u-joints if they never been replaced are pretty old.

It looks like you have auto locking hubs so you can't just lock the hubs and leave in 2WD and see if it generates any vibration in road driving. That is the easiest way to check out front driveline, if it is smooth even into high speeds (full highway speeds) with only a little increase in noise (more rotating) your u-joints bearings and such are good. Any significant vibration grinding or pinging sounds deserve investigation.

Since you can't do that, you can check for looseness underneath and while in 2WD seeing how well each of the shafts turn. Front driveshaft and the left and right axle shafts.

The front shaft yoke into the transfer case may be a bit loose but it seems to tolerate that. I found a u-joint in drive shaft because pushing up and pulling down the amount of looseness changed. It was binding during part of the rotation.

The front drive shaft u-joints are easy to replace. The axle shafts are a pain and two are best done by pulling off the spindles (more of a pain). There are three axle shat u-joints. One on the driver side and two on the passenger side. The inner one on passenger side (closest to the differential) is a royal pain. It is the one I still have to do. There is a c clip in the diff to pull the shaft out of the diff and since front diff cover is the TTB itself it means dropping the front diff. I've heard of people changing that u-joint in place using a ball joint press so I been thinking of that.

And if you ever pull the passenger side spindle off and pull out that axle shaft make sure you pay attention to the phasing putting it back in. The shop I paid to replace the front u-joints didn't do that so I ended up having to take it apart myself to fix it. They insisted phasing didn't make a difference...it does.

That is what everyone seems to do!!!

I just stick to roads and want one of those CV shafts. I don't like the u-joint shaft I have now. It is a small issue, some vibration under heavy accel in first gear mostly, some second. I miss the really smooth action of the original CV shaft.
Thank you very much for taking the time to type out all of that information for me. I have changed oil and now tranny fluid but I will check the diffs and change the coolant today.

Getting the codes doesnt sound too bad. I just hope I can figure out the flashing. LOL

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
My 2cents...
Check the airbox for junk, I've seen pictures where animals have nested in them if the vehicle sits long enough. The 86 I had 20 years ago had a possum build a giant nest under the hood in about a week.

Get a can of throttle body cleaner and clean the throttle body.
Clean or replace the Idle Air Controller and the Air Charge Temperature sensor.
Clean/lube the throttle linkage, I used WD-40.
Replace the cap, rotor wires and plugs.
Look for cracked vacuum lines, and hoses in general.

Do the transmission kick down adjustment. Mine did all sorts of funky things before I did that.

It sat for 5 years with same gas in the tank? That can't be good. replace the fuel filter at a minimum

A 2" lift killed my stock driveshaft. If I was do it all over again, I'd do a 2" body lift or go to 4" suspension lift. A 2" suspension lift requires a heck of a lot of re-alignment, mine is on the max camber bushing I could buy. A body lift or full suspension kit would keep all that intact and steer better.

jprevat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
My 2cents...
Check the airbox for junk, I've seen pictures where animals have nested in them if the vehicle sits long enough. The 86 I had 20 years ago had a possum build a giant nest under the hood in about a week.

Get a can of throttle body cleaner and clean the throttle body.
Clean or replace the Idle Air Controller and the Air Charge Temperature sensor.
Clean/lube the throttle linkage, I used WD-40.
Replace the cap, rotor wires and plugs.
Look for cracked vacuum lines, and hoses in general.

Do the transmission kick down adjustment. Mine did all sorts of funky things before I did that.

It sat for 5 years with same gas in the tank? That can't be good. replace the fuel filter at a minimum

A 2" lift killed my stock driveshaft. If I was do it all over again, I'd do a 2" body lift or go to 4" suspension lift. A 2" suspension lift requires a heck of a lot of re-alignment, mine is on the max camber bushing I could buy. A body lift or full suspension kit would keep all that intact and steer better.
Thank you for the ideas. It has new gas in the tank and it had stabilizer in the 2 or 3 gallons that were there but a new filter will be soon. I saw the ignition rebuild kit on rockauto.com for a pretty good price so that will be added as well.

What is the transmission kickdown adjustment?

Im sorry for all of the questions but I dont have much experience in working on these.

I actually dont rub at all up front but the springs out back pretty much have no more arch and are even kind of bending backwards and are WAY too flexy. Im thinking the higher spring rate of the Ex springs would cure the issue without drastically changing my drive line angles.

Last question of the post: Are there any 2" body lift kits that have the correct bumper brackets?

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
This is hard to describe so I'll steal a post from the TRS forum.
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119797

Post #4
"It is a transmission kickdown cable. there is an adjustment on the engine side of the firewall. Make sure it goes through the plastic bushing at the top of the pedal, go outside the plastic housing at the firewall has a spring loaded recessed button. Push it in and pull out on the cable, then release the button. When you push in on the pedal to full throttle, it will self adjust. It sounds like you might have to replace the cable if it won't activate the lever at the trans. At full throttle the lever at the trans should just hit its stop. "

On my BII the cable had come loose from the bracket as well as out of adjustment.

jprevat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
This is hard to describe so I'll steal a post from the TRS forum.
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119797

Post #4
"It is a transmission kickdown cable. there is an adjustment on the engine side of the firewall. Make sure it goes through the plastic bushing at the top of the pedal, go outside the plastic housing at the firewall has a spring loaded recessed button. Push it in and pull out on the cable, then release the button. When you push in on the pedal to full throttle, it will self adjust. It sounds like you might have to replace the cable if it won't activate the lever at the trans. At full throttle the lever at the trans should just hit its stop. "

On my BII the cable had come loose from the bracket as well as out of adjustment.
Ill go check it out. I did have some leaves and acorns in my air box and needed to clean the nipples out on the side. It is idling smoother now.

jprevat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Kickdown is adjusted and took a look into my throttle body and I am pretty sure my PCV valve has been making a mess.

Should I have the engine running when I spray throttle body cleaner down its throat?

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
With the engine off. You're just looking to get the gunk out of the bore so that the throttle plate and air can move freely. Spray it and wipe and out good, you don't want to wash that crud down into the motor.
The IAC and ACT are probably gunked up as well.

jprevat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
With the engine off. You're just looking to get the gunk out of the bore so that the throttle plate and air can move freely. Spray it and wipe and out good, you don't want to wash that crud down into the motor.
The IAC and ACT are probably gunked up as well.
This is the first time Ive messed with a motor that wasnt a mod motor and Im having trouble finding the IAC. I guess Im just not altogether certain what im looking for or where I am suppose to be looking for it.

Can I just clean them when I find them or would I be better off replacing them?

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
The IAC is bolted to the upper intake manifold near the throttle body.
It looks like this;
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=382776&cc=1106187

The ACT is bolted to the manifold on the passenger side about halfway down and halfway back.
It looks like this;
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=951013&cc=1106187

I would try cleaning them first with the throttle body cleaner. They are probably both heavily gunked up. I cleaned my IAC first, it was pretty beat up and crusty looking even after I cleaned it and it helped so I bought a new one. The ACT was cheap enough I just replaced it, the old one looked like it had a blob of tar on the end.

Both of those jobs are super easy. the only caution would be to not over tighten the bolts on the IAC or the ACT itself because of the aluminum intake.

jprevat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
The IAC is bolted to the upper intake manifold near the throttle body.
It looks like this;
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=382776&cc=1106187

The ACT is bolted to the manifold on the passenger side about halfway down and halfway back.
It looks like this;
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=951013&cc=1106187

I would try cleaning them first with the throttle body cleaner. They are probably both heavily gunked up. I cleaned my IAC first, it was pretty beat up and crusty looking even after I cleaned it and it helped so I bought a new one. The ACT was cheap enough I just replaced it, the old one looked like it had a blob of tar on the end.

Both of those jobs are super easy. the only caution would be to not over tighten the bolts on the IAC or the ACT itself because of the aluminum intake.
Thank you for the info. Ill be cleaning everything out today and see what I can figure out.

My transmission is acting a little better but it is hating actually engaging third gear.

Im thinking I should just take the full upper intake off and clean it out.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
That might not be a bad idea, my upper intake gasket was dried and cracked giving it a vacuum leak.

jprevat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
That might not be a bad idea, my upper intake gasket was dried and cracked giving it a vacuum leak.
That helped a lot! It cranked so much easier and the idle was much smoother.

jprevat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Is there any vacuum line diagrams yall know of? I have 3 small lines I need to figure out.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I don't have a worthwhile vacuum diagram. I have the Electrical and Vacuum manual but what it has for vacuum is almost nothing. basically a diagram of the lines going to the cruise control, AT modulator and the brake booster.

Where are the lines in question? Can you post a pic?