•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Ring and pinion

shadow88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Been looking on eBay at some ring and pinion sets, the price range really changes between brands, any brand to stay away from? And my d35 is a "standard cut" correct?

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Your front TTB35? NO, it's reverse cut bc it's High Pinion....

buy quality gears. G2, Yukon

buy a master install kit.

make sure the install is done correctly.... backlash, torques, preload, tolerances everywhere.

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
I prefer Yukon, but that's just because I get them at ridiculous prices. I have G2's in my 8.8 and love them. To each their own I suppose. When I bought the proper tools to set up my gears, I have $400+ into JUST the tools. Shop press, bearing splitter, lb/in torque wrench, etc, etc

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
I prefer Yukon, but that's just because I get them at ridiculous prices. I have G2's in my 8.8 and love them. To each their own I suppose. When I bought the proper tools to set up my gears, I have $400+ into JUST the tools. Shop press, bearing splitter, lb/in torque wrench, etc, etc
I guarantee $400 is a very conservative number... Or you bought stuff stupid cheap.

however you can get cheaper items to make it work.

inch pound flex beam torque wrench ($40)
shop press (say what you want but in my book, this is a must... HF's for $115ish)
Magnetic Base with Mechanistic Dial. ($40)
Bearing Splitter Set ($45)
Breaker Bar for crush sleeve or BIG Impact
Torque wrench, in/lbs
etc.....

Last edited:

shadow88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Ok so I got reverse cut, thanks, not far from me is a really good driveline shop, been dealing with them for some time, parts prices are high, but labor prices are good, they told me if I get the parts they can adjust backlash and whatnot, I got a 8.8 rear end for cheap, so they said if it's just a bench job, I can get most of it together and they'll do the rest,

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Not quite that simple since you have to get pinion preload right before even considering the carrier.

But hey if they'll do it cheap, by all means bc regearing labor is HIGH.

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Only gear brand I recall having some issues awhile back was Genuine Gear. I haven't seen them advertised much lately though (probably is what became G2 I imagine, at the same time stepping up quality as I've not heard much bad on G2). Precision Gear I'm not too keen on anymore either (mostly because the company that bought 'em out some years back whacked back the extensive selection they had, which meant we lost their 4.88 & 5.13 offerings for our axles).

Yukon, Nitro Gear, US Gear, and of course anything straight from Dana is all good (though Dana has limited ratios).

Edit:
USA-Standard is another I'd probably avoid... just based on the fact they are claimed to be "not as quiet" as other gears, which to me says they aren't made to as tight of tolerances.

Last edited:

vwa1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I have had good luck with Zumbrota gear in MN. Prices are reasonable, they are helpful, and they ship fast. zbag.com

You don't really need a split gear puller to get the old carrier or pinion bearing off, but it is easier. I just cut the bearing cages off with a cutoff wheel, then cut into the inner bearing core about halfway to weaken it (careful not to cut the carrier itself). Then hit the cut area with a cold chisel. It will break where you scored it and you can tap it right off.

shadow88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
^that was my plan, I've done them that way before also, thanks for the info I'll have to check them out!