•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Side facing rear seats on a B2

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
One day me and my buddy were walking around my b2 thinking of the things we would do when i got my next pay check and i thought hmm what if we placed the rear seats up on the wheel well facing in ward? at first it was kind of a joke then we quickly realized this would greatly increase cargo capacity at all times (not having to fold down the seats). Plus it would look wicked cool lol and be better for any passengers in the rear as they would have more stretching room. I have a couple of questions but mainly this is to inspire others because my b2 currently needs a new engine and this is a long ways off for me. First off, is this even legal? i some how doubt it is but hey you never know. What all would go in to something like this? fabrication etc. Has this ever been done before? if so pictures....:D id love to hear other thoughts on this, thanks.

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
First thing that comes to mind is head room, will there be enough for more than a child?

jhammel85

On here ignoring work
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
I think messing with that in anyway isn't a good idea. I would imagine that there's some reinforcement in the metal where the seats are bolted. Moving it might cause more likely hood of a seat getting torn out in an impact.

In my opinion, Put the money into the motor :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
i don't think its worth the trouble. but then again, i don't use my rear seats anyways.
headroom? strength issues? legroom issues? remounting seatbelts? awkward getting in and out... things like that, all reasons i wouldn't do it.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Now see I like your line of thinking... this is something I would try if I had everything else finished on my truck... I am doing this in a classic panel truck which is a little bit bigger but your issue will be that there won't be enough room between the seats for anyone to really sit. You would have to reinforce the floor which isn't but taking a sheet of metal on the bottom and then put another under the carpet then run a good size bolt with large washers. You could do one side and it would be comfortable but I don't think that would look that good. But the only part that will require any real effort will be reinforcing the floor, seat belts and everything else is easy stuff. I live in SC and I know with our state law there is nothing against rearranging the seats as long as you have seat belts which I'm pretty confident in saying no state has a law saying how your seats have to be arranged. But be the first to try it if you like it you probably can honestly say your the only one with a B2 that has seats like that! :icon_thumby:

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
I think there is simply not enough room for it to be comfortable. Better to just take the seats out completely, or leave them folded down... I really don't see how you gain any cargo room, either, since you wouldn't be able to fold the seats down flat with the floor ever again.

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
I think there is simply not enough room for it to be comfortable. Better to just take the seats out completely, or leave them folded down... I really don't see how you gain any cargo room, either, since you wouldn't be able to fold the seats down flat with the floor ever again.
I mean since there is more length.

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
I mean since there is more length.
But how there be length? The sears would be in the same spot, you'd just have a gap between then IF there's even a gap at all. The interior of the b2 is not that wide.

Take your seats out. Place them where'd you like them. Take pics and measurements. And Try to sit in one. I think you'll realize what we are saying.

Plummkrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I actually just had a thought, what about possibly mounting the rear jump seats out of a king cab ranger? Maybe you could get those to somehow work, mounted somewhere around where the seat is now.

- Jeff

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I actually just had a thought, what about possibly mounting the rear jump seats out of a king cab ranger? Maybe you could get those to somehow work, mounted somewhere around where the seat is now.

- Jeff
Those jump seats are so uncomfortable, I would have given ya some for free + shipping a month or so ago

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
I am working on finding two more seats like the front ones that come in the B2.. those seats are small enough that you could replace the rear seat with those two bucket seats and come up with a neat center console for them. I am working on drawing up one now maybe when I get it done ill post it and see what everyone thinks. Its gonna be a little different than what you think you would find in a B2 but unique nonetheless!

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
But how there be length? The sears would be in the same spot, you'd just have a gap between then IF there's even a gap at all. The interior of the b2 is not that wide.

Take your seats out. Place them where'd you like them. Take pics and measurements. And Try to sit in one. I think you'll realize what we are saying.
i see what youre saying, this is why i was asking really to get other peoples oppinions thanks.

- Jeff
I definitely like this idea and want to see it. I dont really know what the seats look like either nor can i find any so i cant really visualize this.
I am working on finding two more seats like the front ones that come in the B2.. those seats are small enough that you could replace the rear seat with those two bucket seats and come up with a neat center console for them. I am working on drawing up one now maybe when I get it done ill post it and see what everyone thinks. Its gonna be a little different than what you think you would find in a B2 but unique nonetheless!
Nice! i like unique i dont want just another run of the mill truck like everybody else. Also, theres a b2 in a junk yard around here that has both of the front seats in dark brown pretty good condition but used nonetheless, where do you live?
Now see I like your line of thinking... this is something I would try if I had everything else finished on my truck... I am doing this in a classic panel truck which is a little bit bigger but your issue will be that there won't be enough room between the seats for anyone to really sit. You would have to reinforce the floor which isn't but taking a sheet of metal on the bottom and then put another under the carpet then run a good size bolt with large washers. You could do one side and it would be comfortable but I don't think that would look that good. But the only part that will require any real effort will be reinforcing the floor, seat belts and everything else is easy stuff. I live in SC and I know with our state law there is nothing against rearranging the seats as long as you have seat belts which I'm pretty confident in saying no state has a law saying how your seats have to be arranged. But be the first to try it if you like it you probably can honestly say your the only one with a B2 that has seats like that! :icon_thumby:
Definitely thats what im going for these trucks already get a bad rap around here so being unique definitely helps