•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

So, if I go with a 302

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
in my '84 BII . . what am I looking at for mods? I already have ditched the computer, so ignition conversion is done and nothing will need to be changed with the V8. I have a C5, so I can use the rear of the trans and hook up to a C4 or C5 from a V8; right? Meaning no 4wd problems. Do you guys use different front springs? What exactly are the mods I would need to make? I have given the 2.8 a chance, but its too slow for the crappy MPG. I know I can build a carefully prepped 302 that will be as good on gas as the 2.8 and obviously have a lot more power.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Well the v-6 trans, if you could make it fit the v-8, won't live long since a 302 makes enough power to blow a v-6 tranny apart at idle.

The rear end should survive if you don't be the crap out of it, but I'd go look for a d-35 front end. You will probably also want some taller/stronger springs so you don't look like you are going down hill all the time.

I'm not sure about the 4x4 system. I think I've heard that there has been mixed success in using the stock ranger t-case with a v-8. It really just depends on what you are trying to do with it. If you want to wheel, go get a stronger t-case. If you want to go straight on crappy roads, try keeping your old one, but have a new one ready to go JIC.

slammer67

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ranger
I'm not sure about the 4x4 system. I think I've heard that there has been mixed success in using the stock ranger t-case with a v-8. It really just depends on what you are trying to do with it. If you want to wheel, go get a stronger t-case. If you want to go straight on crappy roads, try keeping your old one, but have a new one ready to go JIC.
Really, I haven't heard of issues with the stock t-case and v-8's, There's even a few people with dual ranger cases and v-8 engines.

PetesPonies - your right on the tranny setup - swap the tailshaft and housing; I've heard you can rebuild the c5 to v8 specs - it needs to have more clutchs added.

I wouldn't think front springs would be necessary as far as ride - most ttb's ride to stiff for me, you could swap in 4.0 ranger springs if it's too soft, but I believe you might have clearence issues with a stock heighth suspension.

axle strength is an issue, the dana28/7.5 combo wont last long.
when I did my SAS, I sold my d35/8.8 to a guy who did the exact same thing you are, but on a ranger, he said he went through 2- 7.5" rears already

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Really, I haven't heard of issues with the stock t-case and v-8's, There's even a few people with dual ranger cases and v-8 engines.

PetesPonies - your right on the tranny setup - swap the tailshaft and housing; I've heard you can rebuild the c5 to v8 specs - it needs to have more clutchs added.
The t-case problems I think mostly come into play with guys who wheel a lot and do crazy stuff.

But you are right about the tranny. I wasn't thinking about that at the time.

The biggest internal difference between the V-6 and V-8 transmissions are 1 clutch and steel in each pack. But, if you don't add that clutch and steel before putting it behind the V-8 it is still gonna die awful fast.

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
C-4 with a good rebuild kit and C-5 output shaft.1350 T-case will be fine.
Murphy automotive on ebay has a great kit with Raybestos cluthes,steels,seals and gaskets for around $70,really good guy to deal with.Almost all of the kit is made in the US of A!

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
I have built a C5 into C4 specs before . . for a drag car. Thats not an issue. But my C5 won't bolt up, so I need a V8 trans, then either swap to mine or swap my stuff to it. I don't "wheel" the truck, so I'm sure the transfer case will work. As for breaking the 7.5s . . well I have lots of Mustang experience here. There is no doubt a 8.8 is much stronger . . but on a street car that isn't beaten all the time, the 7.5 holds up. All Fox cars up to and including '85 had 7.5s. I've had them down the track in the 13s with no breakage. So again, a street driven BII with a 7.5 is not a problem. I see that lifting the truck will aid in clearance for the AC box and sort. Any other information guys??

slammer67

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ranger
The c5 will bolt up if you change bellhousings. I think that's one of the cool things about the c4/c5 is the removable bell. But your probably better off just rebuilding the c4 and adding the c5 tailshaft and housing.

Is this gonna be a street only truck? Is it gonna stay 4wd? if not you could throw in a mustangII front suspension and keep it low, then tub the back for some 16" wide mickeys, that'd be one cool street truck.

COPPERHEAD85: that a good deal on the rebuild kit, I'll have to check that out

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Well the v-6 trans, if you could make it fit the v-8, won't live long since a 302 makes enough power to blow a v-6 tranny apart at idle.

The rear end should survive if you don't be the crap out of it, but I'd go look for a d-35 front end. You will probably also want some taller/stronger springs so you don't look like you are going down hill all the time.

I don't know where you get your information...

An A4LD wouldn't last behind a V8 but a C4/C5 hybrid would work fine. In fact a buddy has that exact tranny behind a 302 in an Early Bronco.

The 7.5 rear end is fine if you're using factory gear ratios and are OK with drum brakes. The issue with a 7.5 is that the pinion gets pretty small when you're using gears lower than 4.10s - not to mention you have to remove the ring gear from the carrier to get the cross pin out. 31 spline shafts, disc brakes, and lower gear ratios are good reasons to swap in an 8.8, and there are even more advantages to a 9".

This transfer case thing - I would run a 1350 or 1354 behind a V8. The durability thing is nonsense. There is the possibility of stretching a chain or breaking the whole t-case off the transmission but that is worst case and could happen to anything.

Personally, if it was me, I would run a late model, fuel injected 302. Tranny and t-case depend on application. For mostly offroad use, I would do a C4/C5 with a Dana 20, Dana 300 or Atlas. Mostly onroad I would use an AOD with a 1350 or 1354.

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
slammer67:
Like I said a really great guy to deal with.I jacked up my front pump gasket,droped him an email,sent me another one free.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I don't know where you get your information...

An A4LD wouldn't last behind a V8 but a C4/C5 hybrid would work fine. In fact a buddy has that exact tranny behind a 302 in an Early Bronco.
Didn't he say he had a C-class trans. I'm pretty sure that if I'd seen him trying to put an A4LD behind a 302 I'd have been too busy laughing to post a reply.

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers

You have any experience to back that bunk up?

I put a V8 C4 valve body and intermediate servo into my 2.8L C5, with a shift kit. Been going strong for 5 years now, and the trans is showing no signs of getting tired, even with me beating on it every time I drive it. Same with the t-case. It's the same 1350 it left the factory with 280,000 miles ago. The V8 hasn't hurt it.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER

I put a V8 C4 valve body and intermediate servo into my 2.8L C5, with a shift kit. Been going strong for 5 years now, and the trans is showing no signs of getting tired, even with me beating on it every time I drive it. Same with the t-case. It's the same 1350 it left the factory with 280,000 miles ago. The V8 hasn't hurt it.

7.5's.....i can bust in front of you.

c4's

after two or three 7.5's.....dead. not for heavy wheeling over 4200 pounds with 342/73's and 33 in tires and 90 mph 3 hr rides to work after wheelin. wiping the fcp isnt as big an issue as leaking the cases.

c4's not for me.

but in a sissy ass 11 or slower stang the c4 and 7.5 are perfect.....the 7.5 workable rather with a locker to shitcan the spiders.

in a street b2 conservativly driven.....i would say they are perfect with 342 or 308 gears and 235 or 225 type tire.

sounds like the hot setup to me:dunno: use what ya got cost effective as it gets....get the v8 bell and simply freshen the tranny and get it awn:icon_thumby:

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Yes.

Saw a stock V-6 C5 get blown to bits by a 302. Guy wasn't even romping on it.

That, along with the dozen or so old-timers that have told me they've seen it a dozen or so separate times each.

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Yes.

Saw a stock V-6 C5 get blown to bits by a 302. Guy wasn't even romping on it.

That, along with the dozen or so old-timers that have told me they've seen it a dozen or so separate times each.
And I have seen a stock 460 split the bellhousing almost all the way off a C6. Doesn't mean they're crap, and that is definitely the right automatic for a 460.

I'm not trying to rip on your comments but I also don't like to see misinformation spread around. If you want to talk about this further, PM me.

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
Ford put C-4's behind 302's in F-150's for years, treat it right and you shouldn't have a problem with it. Even the current F-150 options are still based on the C-4.

Take it easy on the 7.5 and it should be good to go too.

Beat on anything and you can break it if you want to. And just because it doesn't die during a thrashing doesn't mean a previous thrashing didn't fatigue it.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
Ford put C-4's behind 302's in F-150's for years, treat it right and you shouldn't have a problem with it. Even the current F-150 options are still based on the C-4.

Take it easy on the 7.5 and it should be good to go too.

Beat on anything and you can break it if you want to. And just because it doesn't die during a thrashing doesn't mean a previous thrashing didn't fatigue it.

theres nothing based on the c4.....hell not even the c6 after the r100.

c4 died with the last c5. for smaller stuff the current junk is bred from the c3....a4ld :shok:

the aod is split off from a fmx in basis, but not a modded fmx.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Wow, some "opinions" floating here. Well lets talk some facts. First, these is a difference with a V6 trans and a V8 trans. But it is nothing you can't overcome during a rebuild. Different drum, more clutches, bang . . you have a V8 spec trans. A C5 can be just as strong as a V8 C4 trans. Not out of the box, but with a few chosen parts during he rebuild. I have done this already. As I have previously stated, a 7.5 in a street vehicle is fine, no problems. So lets concede these areas. I was wondering about other things . . . oil pans, mounts, clearance with AC, headers, etc. Anything here to add?

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Double sump pan to clear the engine crossmember. What pan you need depends on what block you have (dipstick location.)

Aftermarket motor mounts specifically for 4wd 302 conversions are available, but they also cost around $200. Supposedly '85 Mustang Convertible motor mounts will work if you flip them side to side and they are cheap. I have a set but haven't got that far in my swap yet.

Don't have AC so can't help you there - heater only trucks need heater box mods so I'm sure you'll be doing that. Body lifts help clear that area.

I'm using stock exhaust manifolds.

Radiator may have to be moved inside of the core support.

External oil filter has to be used to clear the steering box.

If you are doing a carbed 302, you have the easiest swap already since your B2 has a 2.8.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Supporting Member
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
If your going with a C4, do you need one, or are you going to go the C5 route??
SVT

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
c4's suck for highway and are old school. aods can be made just as strong ,especially for a street driven truck. if you want a sweet aod built or even a 4r70w/aod hybrid,let me know. ive built quite a few and they work awesome and you have OD for the highway.