•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Superlift or SAS?

Fiveflat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I just picked up a B2 to use around my property. Now that I have it, I'd like to make it kinda trail ready as well. I *THINK* I want to do a full width SAS but I don't know enough about them yet. I want to lift it asap though and I was looking at the 4.5" Superlift for it.

If I go the SAS route AFTER the superlift, will I end up with a take off lift kit? Or will parts from the kit be used for the SAS?

The superlift kit is $631. What should a fw-SAS run me complete?

Fiveflat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I wish I knew more about what kind of labor is involved in a SAS. I just found this on craigslist for $600:
The whole package Dana 44 and 9" with everything you see on them:

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
I think the question should be:
"Full-size-width or Stock width?"

If you want it to be full width, then a SAS using that stuff would get you there... Another option might also be to use a FW D44 TTB ('80-'96 trucks), which this would allow you to reuse a majority of the parts from a lift for the stock suspension.

Superlift is among the last choices I'd pick for a lift on yours though. Skyjacker or James Duff have far better quality products.

What are your intentions? Rock crawling? Mud-whomping? Speed running? (desert, sand, etc.)? Trail driving? (trails in the forest, powerline/mining roads, etc.)?

Also, and welcome to TRS :beer:

Fiveflat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Skyjacker only offers a 1.5" or a 6" lift. I don't want to go 6" high. The James Duff kit is only 3" and the Superlift is 4.5"

I was chatting with another friend of mine and it seems the best process might be to simply put a small lift on it now (all I really want are 31's maybe 32's). And upgrade to an SAS as things break if I need to. I called a local shop that does SAS turnkey and I about choked on their quote... I can't justify 10TIMES what I paid for the entire truck on suspension alone. Not at this point anyway. :)

Fiveflat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
by the way, yes a full-size-width is absolutely the route I'd go if I decide on an SAS.

Perhaps the turnkey shop's quote needs to pay his mortgage and health insurance so that's why it was so high? I was quoted around $7000-8000 (hence my choking on thin air)

I am a mechanical guy but I just don't know what is physically involved in the swap.

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Skyjacker has 1.5", 4", 6" and 8" lifts.

Sounds like the shop quoted you a price as if they were going to SAS an A-arm IFS truck, not a TTB truck (it's about 1/2-2/3 the labor on a TTB truck since a lot of the hardware can be reused (steering box, coil mounts, etc).

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Hmmm. Fullwidth sounds cool. I wish I had a full-width ranger. That moved.

Fiveflat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I think a full size TTB is the direction I want to go for my needs. Still have no clue whats involved in that swap, but thats why I'm here I suppose. What's all your opinions on that?
What I want is a good trail rig and be able to make runs across some flat dry ground at speed...

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Check out desert rangers or something like that and search out a guy named Joel. He makes a kit to make it a bolt in