•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

The Deuce

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Gotcha. Let us know how it works.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Supporting Member
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Like you said, I would get it machined, heat treated then vetoed for the best results...
SVT

kingreinheimer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
im just making sure.....you did a full size axle swap and didnt shorten them, right?

Kyle M.

GOING FOR BROKE
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Depends if the shaft is case hardened or full hardened. If it is case, then it would be soft in the middle. Turn one down, take it to a heat treater and have the rockwell checked

Type of metal will determine the heat treat process and weather it can be re treated or not also.

BONES

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Depends if the shaft is case hardened or full hardened. If it is case, then it would be soft in the middle. Turn one down, take it to a heat treater and have the rockwell checked

Type of metal will determine the heat treat process and weather it can be re treated or not also.
Oh ok, is that something they can tell just by looking at the steel? Do you know how far into the shaft case hardening would go?

im just making sure.....you did a full size axle swap and didnt shorten them, right?
Yes I did a "full size truck" axle swap, no shortened anything. My front high pinion d44 came from a 76 f100 4x4 and the rear 9" came from an early 80's f150. Both measure 65" wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface right from the factory. These are unmolested 1/2 ton full size Ford truck axles rebuilt and spools installed.

Kyle M.

GOING FOR BROKE
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
No, you can't look at it and tell. They can spark test it it figure out the type of steel, and from there you can get a good idea of the heat treat process or if you can anneal and reharden it. You could probably cut it down to length and check the Rockwell in the cut section also.

BONES

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L

BONES

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
This last year flew by, I was too busy to sit and think. But things are slowing down again and I can finally get back to what I enjoy doing, building and wheeling.

Well, got out wheeling finally, first time since september. Blew first gear out of the fm146. This 27 year old factory 86 bii trans lasted amazingly long for what it is.

Poor Bronco has been romped hard over the last few years and now she could use some tlc. Lots of little stuff has quit working, like signals, , oil pressure gage, heater fan, and wiper washer, I've broken a rear shock off, worn out all the rear spring bushings, shock bushings are hashed too, pan hard mount at the d44 has wobbled out the big ass bolt in the factory cast bracket, fuel relay needs replacing, rear shackle hanger is almost torn off the frame now. I was never happy with my upper and lower coils spring mounts up front and the pan hard frame bracket needs a support brace added to prevent frame twist. Same with the front bump stop location needs improvement. I want to build an engine cross menber and engine cage, eliminate rad support and front inner fenders, blah blah blah right. Long stary short the decision has been made.

Time for her to go under the knife......again.....

Picked up an np205 to twin stick for the build yesterday. Hopefully buying my buddies 96 gt40 5L Expo very soon too.

The loose plan at this point is gt40 5L/4r70/np205 but until I have the Expo in my 2 bay garage/shop, it's still up in the air. Hoping I can get this in progress in the next month or so then the plan will be to take it one step at a time. Tare down, clean up, fabrication and swap, reassembly and then finally beat down, lol. I'll try and keep this updated as frequently as I can.

kris97ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 4.2 litre
Updates? I was reading through the toy axle in a ranger thread (because im doing this if i ever can break my 35, been trying isnt working lol) and got thinking about this one again.

BONES

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Hey man, hows it going? Long time no talk, lol.

Well I've been a busy bee lately. Bought a rusty 96 v8 exploder to pull the gt40 5L and 4r70w from. Here's a taste of what I'm up to.

Stripped the BII down in prep for the conversion.

Here's what I got.

Last edited:

90jurassic2

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I don't know how well that fm146 will hold up behind a 4.0. Mine went out after a couple months.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Supporting Member
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Great setup, I've done that setup in a couple rigs I've built. Pretty good setup if you ask me...

SVT

BONES

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
I don't know how well that fm146 will hold up behind a 4.0. Mine went out after a couple months.
You didn't actually read this thread did you? lol! :p Second sentence 5 posts above.... lol

Well I'll tell ya man, back when I first built this thing in 06 or 07 I had serious worries that the stock fm146 would fail quick too, but that 27 year old trans lasted 5 or 6 years of beating the piss out of it. It survived 2 tcase failures, several rear drive shaft ujoint failures and 3 clutches. 2 of the those years it was on 35's and open diffs d35/8.8 and the last 3 years its been spooled front and rear on 38's d44/9".Finally blew out first gear on new years day 2013.

Great setup, I've done that setup in a couple rigs I've built. Pretty good setup if you ask me...

SVT
I'm plugging away at it. Hey what tcase did you end up using with the 4l70w? Were any of the your swaps into an none obd2 rig?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Supporting Member
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
I've done several swaps, both obd1 and 2. 91 ranger, 02 TJ wrangler I did obd1, 93 yj wrangler and a few rangers OBD2. I've used the atlas, the 205, and a 1356. With the torque of the ex 5.0, the 205 does pretty good. I was going to run the 56/20 doubler I built, but I have someone kind of interested in it (who wouldn't be with a 19.5" overall length) so I'm putting a 205 in mine for now. Don't forget the 4R70W has the best ratio of the ford auto trannies at 2.81 first gear, aod's have a 2.4 first...
I can help you out, make things faster for you on the wiring end, and fill you in on anything else you will need...

SVT

Last edited:

BONES

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Cool! Well I'll keep you in mind if any questions pop up as I go. Thx man!

BONES

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Supporting Member
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
It's looking a little empty. I was wondering how your swap was going...

SVT

BONES

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Ya man. Progress is slow but steady lately.

Todays small project was rust repair.