•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

The dreaded 2.8 to 4.0 swap

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Duh!
I'm wanting to do this and searching has turned up nothing. First question is, what year donor vehicle do I need? I was thinking of a 1st gen expO. Or should I go newer? I'm going to keep my fm146 for now then m5 it later down the road. The main reason forr the swap is drivability and efi.

Ok so for the fuel. Could I just run AN braided line and aftermarket efi pump and regulator and use the stock carb'd fuel pickup?

Also I read about the inertia shut off switch, do I have to have one? Or could I use a toggler override switch for the pump.

Also if its not possible to run the fuel lines like I was talkin about(I know I need a return line) what's the bst donor rig to get them off of? What pump to use? And will I have to do wiring for the donors sender?

I'm trying to do this the easiest way possible for the least down time. What yall got for me?

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
The best donor vehicle would be a 1st gen ex,with a 5 spd and a manual tcase. That way you have evrything. The D35,8.8, dash, computer, fuel lines and so forth. You could always get a tank from an 89, or 90 B2. I used a 94 ranger for my swap and had some difficulties.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Duh!
I would like to use some b2 2.9 fuel lines and pump/sender but I'm having trouble finding the lines. Any company make prebent ones? I was thinkn buy someAN ford adapters and make my own, that way everything will connect up

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
For the fuel lines, I would find an '89 or '90 BII in a wrecking yard and pull the lines and pump. The supply line from a '90 Ranger will work from the fuel filter forward.

I would look for a '90 Ranger with a 4.0. The wiring will be the most similar. You could swap out the whole dash or just wire the 4.0 into your existing engine bay harness. If wiring isn't a strong point of yours, I would just swap everything.

I had an FM145 last behind a 4.0 for over a year of off road abuse. It just depends on if it's in good condition currently.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Duh!
I wouldn't mind going with a gen 2 dash anyways. So the 2.9 pump and sender will work with my tank?

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Yeah, it'll drop in your tank fine.

The 85-90 BII's used the same tank

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Plus you can cut an access panel in your back floorboard, so fuel pump issues won't take so long

ronclark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
I'm wanting to do this and searching has turned up nothing. First question is, what year donor vehicle do I need? I was thinking of a 1st gen expO. Or should I go newer? I'm going to keep my fm146 for now then m5 it later down the road. The main reason forr the swap is drivability and efi.

Ok so for the fuel. Could I just run AN braided line and aftermarket efi pump and regulator and use the stock carb'd fuel pickup?

Also I read about the inertia shut off switch, do I have to have one? Or could I use a toggler override switch for the pump.

Also if its not possible to run the fuel lines like I was talkin about(I know I need a return line) what's the bst donor rig to get them off of? What pump to use? And will I have to do wiring for the donors sender?

I'm trying to do this the easiest way possible for the least down time. What yall got for me?
If you want to keep your gen 1 dash, it should not be any harder than my 87 i did a swap on. everything works great.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Duh!
I was thinking today, I want a gen 2 front clip as well. So I'm thinking, I get a 90 or so donor. So how about taking the gen 2 front clip, the whole front(light harness etc.) Engine harness, dash and dash wiring, and steering colum. Am I right in thinking therre will be no wiring involved besides securing the harness? Or should I just suck it up and do some wiring? I still want the new clip and dash

RacinNdrummin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Yeah, thats a good idea, find a 90-92 ranger. D35, 4.0, M5OD, BW1354M, 8.8, engine harness, 2nd gen clip, 2nd gen dash, the whole works. Just keep your eye out.

whatelseisleft

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now
84 and 85 BII's used a tank with a smaller opening for the fuel pump... so you will definately need a diferent fuel tank, and swapping out the steering column and dash is a lot of work... lots of wiring and there is really no way around it...

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
don't swap out the 2nd gen junk on there... keep it the 1st gen FAMOUS BETTER look!!!!
you can do it w/out swapping the dash. but... that's up to you.

i'd get a 90-94 ex. everything. one's w/ manual t/case's aint easy tho..
get everything and it should be almost plug and play. ALMOST... it never goes perfect as planned... but well worth it!

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
now that we've hijacked... about the looks. dang we are mall crawlers!!!! lol. j/k...

but yeah. i was looking for some info on this swap to b/c i found a b2 w/ a 2.8 and almost bought it earlier but i found out it needs more work than i thought. so make sure you document everything when you do it so we all will know how later on

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Duh!
Well I found a efi 5.0, which looks to be a gt50 style intake, gonna get the numbers off and see what we got. 250 bux. Still not sure if I would rather do that or the 4.0

I like the idea of a 2nd gen dash and keeping the same trans. Just like the v8 sound but not the gas mileage lol

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Honestly, I'm glad I did the 4.0 swap instead of a 5.0.

More power and v8 means transmission and t/case swap. Also means more power to break axles which means bigger axles. Bigger axles means bigger tires--- bc you don't want 33's on a d60! Lol. It's a chain reaction. The 4.0 will work with most of what you already got. It fits better... Better gas mileage than a 5.0 probably.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Duh!
Lol but 1 ton drivetrain and 38s are so the shit