•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

The size of 86 B2 gas tank

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
I have seen a few threads on here about the gas tanks and everywhere I look it says its suppose go have a 23 gallon tank. Well mine does the whole its empty after about 10 gallons and i looked at the tank underneath and it doesn't look after market. Is there any chance that it really only has a 10-12 gallon tank on it or is it my sensor is malfunctioning. The gas gauge works good on the 10 gallons or so it has a slow and steady decent like a working gauge would do but I just didn't know if there was any way to check without changing the sensor. Being my 2.9 is an EDITION can you run it out of gas and start it up again? I know newer cars some have to be started by the dealer if they run out of gas. My gauge is really no big deal I'm getting 22 miles or so per gallon so its nice filling up for only $35 once a week or so.

Twister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1987
Vehicle
Duh
Engine Size
2.8L, 2.9L
I have seen a few threads on here about the gas tanks and everywhere I look it says its suppose go have a 23 gallon tank. Well mine does the whole its empty after about 10 gallons and i looked at the tank underneath and it doesn't look after market. Is there any chance that it really only has a 10-12 gallon tank on it or is it my sensor is malfunctioning. The gas gauge works good on the 10 gallons or so it has a slow and steady decent like a working gauge would do but I just didn't know if there was any way to check without changing the sensor. Being my 2.9 is an EDITION can you run it out of gas and start it up again? I know newer cars some have to be started by the dealer if they run out of gas. My gauge is really no big deal I'm getting 22 miles or so per gallon so its nice filling up for only $35 once a week or so.
Most likely you gas gauge is broken, its a common problem, and no you don't need a dealer to start you car when it runs out of gas. I have never heard that before.

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
yeah... its 23 gallons... your sending unit or float is messed up probably.
and if you run out of gas, pour more gas in it, crank it up.. i've never heard of that dealer stuff before...i've helped out little old ladies in 2011 BMW's before and just put some gas in it, cranked it up, and she drove off.. if a Beemer can do it.... i'm sure just about anyone can. plus as plain jane as a 86 b2 is... it doesn't matter.

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Your tank will be 23 gallons.

Most likely, the sending unit is worn out and reads empty when really it is half full.

See this post here.

Contacts on the sending unit are worn out, and do not send a reading to the gauge once it gets to a certain level.

Example:

See all those gold horizontal lines? Each one sends a different level of resistance to the gauge. As the contact point moves across them, they wear out over time, notice how they are all worn down? That's probably what yours looks like from 1/2 way down.

88B2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 2.3L
Great picture there BlackBII, very helpful. Mine's doing the same thing. I'm guessing there's no nice convenience access panel above the sending unit so I'll need to drop the tank to access? It's easy on the B2's twin, the Ranger, to lift off the truck box to get to everything but I'm fearing it might not be so easy on my B2?

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Great picture there BlackBII, very helpful. Mine's doing the same thing. I'm guessing there's no nice convenience access panel above the sending unit so I'll need to drop the tank to access? It's easy on the B2's twin, the Ranger, to lift off the truck box to get to everything but I'm fearing it might not be so easy on my B2?
w/ a 5 inch hole saw... or something close, you can make an access panel to your gas tank... i did. i just cut a huge hole above the tank sending unit stuff. it works great... then i screwed a square plate back over it for future access. used a little silicone on it for sealing reasons.

88B2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 2.3L
Now that's an idea. It would have to be done 'well' though as the truck's just too nice to hack up. Maybe replace with a round section of galvanized HVAC sheet metal and silicone? Did you do this surgery with the tank in place? Sounds more than a little dangerous:shok:

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
yeah the tank was in place... i wasn't gonna drop it just to make an access panel.. if i dropped it i would have just fixed the issue then..

and regarding your "to nice to cut up"... its hidden. its under the carpet and under the body. do it structurally strong, and you're golden. pure and simple. do you not think mine is "to nice to cut on"??

88B2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 2.3L
That's a great looking truck for sure. Thanks for the advice.

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
That's a great looking truck for sure. Thanks for the advice.
you're welcome. :icon_thumby:

just watch how deep you go w/ the hole saw..
when you cover it up, make sure its sealed and tight enough it won't rattle. :icon_thumby:

magnifico12312

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
hey I hear you man i have the same damn issue i'm going to ride around with a 1 gal. thing of gas and run it dry see what happens

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
how difficult is it to drop the tank instead of cutting the hole because when I get involved with cutting something either I'm walking away without a finger or Ill cut the truck to pieces :D

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
sorry that is suppose to be EFI. The whole dealer thing is a buddy of mine has a 09 f250 gas and he ran his out of gas and once he put gas in it it still wouldn't crank and so he took it to a mutual friend of ours who works at a dealer and he said that once you run the gas out completely it screws the injectors up or something and the dealer have to work on it. I just had to ask before I did that cuz with my carb motors there isnt an issue but with fuel injection i wasnt sure.