•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

This Looks Serious . . . (Broken Coil Bracket)

CraigK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
By Bronco II suddenly started listing to starboard, and the wheels don't look aligned properly. Cursory inspection shows that my front passenger side coil spring mount bracket has broken in half! The coil spring itself looks like it has shifted and is bulging outward.

What needs to be done to fix this? Is this bracket welded on? Bolted on? What special tools would be required to get the coil and bracket off and on? What other part will be affected and/or needed? Where might replacement brackets be available? Is there any aftermarket brackets that might be better than the Ford part?

As usual, any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

CraigK

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Jack it up by the frame. Unbolt the shock, unbolt the coil retainer (1 7/8 socket) and remove the coil. You can either get a new part from Ford or a used one from the junkyard. Grind the rivits off that hold the spring tower on. Beat it off, punch the remaining rivits out. Drill the holes to 1/2in then install the replacement with 1/2 Grade 8 bolts, nuts and lockwashers. Reinstall spring and shock. Sounds like a major pain but it's really not that bad.

Matt

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV

CraigK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
projectnitemare

Thanks for the excellent post!

I'll order the bracket today. I'll also need a 1 7/8" socket - any special type, or will a regular 1/2" drive type work? (From your post, no spring compressing tools will be needed.) Can you remember how many bolts and what length? (I'd like to have these on hand before I start work.) BTW - What is the stock rivet size, and why did you drill out to 1/2"?

CraigK

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
drill it out to half inch so that you can use stronger bigger 1/2" bolts.

i just did coil spaceres on my ranger, the nuts were only 1 1/8". im not sure if broncos have bigger coil retaining nuts.

kunar

Odd One
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
drill it out to half inch so that you can use stronger bigger 1/2" bolts.

i just did coil spaceres on my ranger, the nuts were only 1 1/8". im not sure if broncos have bigger coil retaining nuts.
+1 metalmac has it right on. you will need a deep well 1-1/8 socket OR a 28mm deep well. i use a 28mm because it fits way better, even though the threads are english so the hex should be english too.

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Yep, 1-1/8" socket.

7/16" bolts will work just as well on the bucket, just make sure you're using all grade-8 hardware (including the nuts & washers).
There are 4 rivets holding each bucket on, so you'll need 8 bolts total if you're doing both sides (recommended)

Last edited:

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Sorry I didn't realize I hit the 7 instead of the 1. 1 1/8 is correct. I don't even own a 1 7/8 socket.

Matt

mhuggler

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.2L Diesel
How much do coil buckets run from Ford? I have one that's about to do the same thing.:annoyed:

Zodiac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Hey Craig K,
Did you ever get the coil spring buckets done? I guess they are called front upper coil spring seats. I just busted the passenger side today and wondered what they cost you for the part?
Thanks,
Steve Z

CraigK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Just got the bucket this week. I ordered from an online "discount" Ford dealership (Gaudin Ford), and paid $62.19 for the bracket ("List" = $87.98), and $10.95 shipping for a total of $73.14 to my door. I think the website was directfordparts.com. Haven't had the chance to do the work yet. Thanks for all the responses - I'll make sure I have a 1 1/8" and/or 28 mm deep socket, as well as the G8 bolts.

CraigK

Zodiac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Thanks Craig,

I found the part on the site you mentioned. Funny how the left side is half the price of the right side? Of course I need the right side! LOL, Anyway, do you think the Bronco II part and Ranger part are the same thing? I'd imagine so, but if anyone knows different let me know. I've got too order mine by tomorrow.
Thanks,
Steve Z

Zodiac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Good luck for me. I stopped by Local Ford dealer and he the part in stock. $86, but it was right there for the taking. One could save about $12 buying it online, but I need to get this fixed and didn't want to wait. The Bronco II is same part by the way. Thanks for the Instructional posts Projectnitemare, Metal Mac and Kunar.

Steve Zee
86 Ranger 2.3l 4x4 5 speed

CraigK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Okay Guys . . .

I got the old, broken, rusted out remnant of a coil bucket off, and the new coil bucket bolted in place with Grade 8 bolts. But now I have about 11" of space to fit about 14" of coils. How the heck do I get the darn spring back in??? There is NO WAY I can compress this spring enough to get it in. Once again, is there a special tool for this????

It looks like I might be able to unbolt the front sway bar attachment (I think that's what it is), and get additional drop?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Craig

tanbuddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Undo the shock and sway bar. U will probablly get enough clearance to get the spring in then. I never had any trouble doin it that way on my truck.

Little X

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Yep, unbolt the anti sway bar. You may need a small pry bar to get the coil all the way seated properly (that last inch of compression). Don't be afraid to loosen the radius arm bolt a little if you need some more travel (it is 1 1/8" also).

mhughes165

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
the only way i know to get enough room is to do the trick of standing on the hub to get enough flex to just about fit the coil in

Zodiac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Undo the shock and sway bar. U will probablly get enough clearance to get the spring in then. I never had any trouble doin it that way on my truck.
Yep that's exactly right. I thought I'd post that I got mine done (a couple weeks ago) after the right side broke. I had installed airlift bags inside the coil springs too help with sag a bit with the plow on. I think that they, along with rust and a large pot hole helped it along. At any rate, it took me about 4 hours too do mine. Now that I've done it once it would be quicker next time. The old bugger (86') is gettin a bit "tender" underneith, I have to say, but it don't eat (much) and hasn't for years. Still is my go too firewood rig. This year I've done 2 front axel stubs (outers), and this coil bracket. It's been a heavy snow winter here so I'm sure that and age are getting too the old gal. Now I noticed that over half full gas tank and I'm smelling fuel. The old dreaded clamshell leak! They are impossible to stop once started. So, new tank or only put in a half or less.:annoyed: Always sump'in.

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Willys,Ford,Jee
if any of you guys need a pair of coil buckets that are rust free, I got a pair 40 bucks for the pair plus shipping.

and when I say rust free I mean rust free, here in san diego we dont get rust