•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Transmission swap problems (89 Bronco II)

w3dbj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Hi,

The transmission got completely hosed so I got a new(er) one complete with torque converter and flexplate. Mounted the flexplate after changing out the rear main while I was in there, and spun the torque converter on the transmission shaft, lined up the bolts and slid forward on the jack so the transmission went onto the two guides and the torque converter bolts went through the holes on the flywheel.

Now, when I tighten the bolts on the bellhousing, the motor doesn't want to turn. If I back off the transmission bolts 1.5 turns, the motor turns freely.

The trans, TC and flexplate came from the same donor vehicle, and is visually identical to the transmission, TC and flexplate I took off.

Anyone have a clue what could be wrong?

I only have tomorrow (Sunday) left to get it back together before work Monday morning.

Thanks

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Get it in, get your TC bolts lined up, and bolt your trans case back up tight. THEN tighten the converter nuts down. Then give'r a shot.

mhughes165

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
IF the torque converter isnt fully locked in on the input shaft u will experience ur exact problem, thats about the only thing i think it could be, you shouldnt have to pull the transmission to the engine if thats whats happening its definatly ur prob

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
If you didn't have the Converter all the way in to where it makes contact with transmission, and then you pressed the transmission all the way to the engine, there is a very good chance you just broke the Transmission Pump, I have a transmission in my garage that the previous owner messed up because he didn't have the TC seated all the way.

Robert

mhughes165

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
If you didn't have the Converter all the way in to where it makes contact with transmission, and then you pressed the transmission all the way to the engine, there is a very good chance you just broke the Transmission Pump, I have a transmission in my garage that the previous owner messed up because he didn't have the TC seated all the way.

Robert
unfortunatly for people that dont know they assume it just slides on, if im not mistaken it has to lock into three seperate positions before it can be assembled, friend of mind did that and he was pissed cause i didnt do it for him and he ****ed it up(hes a chevy guy) because he said he didnt know...dont wanna be that guy lol

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
I have Changed out 4 of the Auto transmissions for a friend of mine and one of my own, I know that when I put the TC in and turn it, and then it slides to where the TC makes contact with the transmission it self, it is locked in all the way. The first time I did this and the TC made contact I thought something was wrong, I called the auto parts store and the man there said "that's how you know it's in, and don't worry, then you put the four bolts on the TC and Flex plate, it will pull it out to where it's suppose to be", and sure enough he was right.

So turn the TC till it hits the transmission.

Robert

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
It takes three notches on the torque converter.Towards the end of my A4LD days I put in a little tab to hold it as I put the tranny in.What you do is turn the tranny on its tail and turn it till it catches 3 times.What I have gotten away with when I was in your position was I got two bolts long as I could that fit the engine bell housing.Slide the tranny back to the end of the bolts so it stays lined up take a big wrench slide it up and fit it over the nose on the torque converter to help line it up and spin it trying to get the last notch to go in on the torque converter.you will be P/Off by the time this is done.

The first thing you do is tighten a bolt on each side of the tranny and put a wrench on the front of the engine to see if it turns over before you button anything else up so you get to start over sooner.

It's just one guys opinion but if you can ever work your way to a manual do it well worth it.All I got to say is i've been running and fixing my own car since about 78 and nothing has even come close to making me a pedestrian like the A4LD almost made me give up on a great little car.

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
I wish there was a different auto trans that could take the place of the A4LD, it's a shame the only other option it to change to a manual trans, not that I'm putting down the manuals, I like a manual shift, but if my BII came with a auto, then I would prefer to keep the auto.. and there are times that I'm glad that it is a auto, just wish that if this one took a dump, I could change out to a better Auto.

Robert

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9v6
i had to replace my a4ld in my ranger pain in the ass ( first time doing my own) . i heard that the ford vans got the better a4ld .

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Duh!
u gotta turn back and forth and push on the converter to get it seated right...real pita

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
I wish there was a different auto trans that could take the place of the A4LD, it's a shame the only other option it to change to a manual trans, not that I'm putting down the manuals, I like a manual shift, but if my BII came with a auto, then I would prefer to keep the auto.. and there are times that I'm glad that it is a auto, just wish that if this one took a dump, I could change out to a better Auto.
Why not a C5? I know they are getting somewhat hard to find, and you'd be losing the overdrive gear, but it is still worlds better as far as transmissions go.

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
I didn't know a C5 would bolt up to a 2.9/4.0 engine

Robert

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Sure will... you can find them behind 2.8's from 83-85. You can also swap a V6 C5 bellhousing onto a C4. I have a 4x4 C5 sitting on a shelf that I'm saving for a cool project someday - think 4.0 powered Explorer buggy :D

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
well, I learned some thing new today, now if I can just find a way to remember it :)

Robert