•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

VSS placement

DOPIESLC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
01'/90'
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
D-tech 2.3L
So question for anyone that can answer this. With my swap I am putting a 2001 ford ranger cab and drivetrain on a 1990 ford bronco 2 frame. So this is my issue that I run into with the VSS. I have the abs sensor on the rear axle and a VSS on the back of the transmission. As you know the 2.3 Duratec never came 4x4 only 2wd. So with converting the M5OD to 4x4 I lost the place where the VSS goes. I am using my BW1354 electric t-case with a shifster. The BW1354 had the cable driven speedo and what i believe is a VSS around the cable. What are some options to get this to work with the transfercase correctly? I spoke to speedocalibrations and he claimed that the abs sensor on the rear axle runs the speedo and abs. The VSS on the transmission sends a signal to the computer for fuel injection. Any thoughts?

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
GPS speedo?

DOPIESLC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
01'/90'
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
D-tech 2.3L
I think my best option is to find a m5od from a 3.0 4x4 and swap out all the internals and get the correct tail housing with the vss spot.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
2001 should've had the VSS on the rear axle, not the transmission. If your current axle has an ABS (VSS) sensor (which a '90 axle should) it seems you should already be set to go. :dunno: Only thing you may have to do is change the speedo calibration if your tires are different size.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
having been part of planning, and executing this project. I think he is asking about the VSS input for the ecm. Not for an actual speedometer readout.

DOPIESLC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
01'/90'
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
D-tech 2.3L
Yes the vss signal off the rear axle runs the speedometer I have that set. It's the oss sensor on the tail housing that I have to figure out what to do with. It sends a signal to the computer for fuel managment. This is the sensor that I am trying to figure out what to do with so it's all in working order.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Is this the type of sensor the truck has? (for some reason I thought this was a 2010-2011-only thing).

If so, I'm not sure if parts from an earlier 4WD truck would work for it or not, it would depend on whether the ratio of teeth (pulses) per distance traveled is similar or not (that sensor appears to be a hall-effect type that reads directly off the output shaft, where earlier trucks I know had their sensors after the reduction of a set of speedometer gears).

If worse gets to worse you could always mount a sensor externally and have it read off a set of notches milled into your driveshaft flange (I've seen this done many times where a rear axle was swapped with one not having a sensor in it).

DOPIESLC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
01'/90'
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
D-tech 2.3L
Correct Junkie that is the sensor that I do have. We have an idea of grinding down some of the teeth on the rear axle abs ring and using this as the oss sensor spot.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I am looking at the shop manuals, and this same sensor exists on the 3.0 and 4.0, which were available in 4x4. I suspect the extension housing will have a place for the sensor to be installed.