•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

What kind of oil do you guys run in the 2.9?

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
I will stick with the fram filters my self. But will have to try out that oil that every one likes to see if it helps with the oil pressure gauge jumping every time i step on the gas.
Just a heads up, I talked to a Fram company representative one day, and got him to spill the goods. He won't run one on his car... Everything bad you hear about Fram is pretty much true. He told me that most of their filters will fail right off the start and bypass the filter element, equivalent to not running a filter at all.

trader007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Just a heads up, I talked to a Fram company representative one day, and got him to spill the goods. He won't run one on his car... Everything bad you hear about Fram is pretty much true. He told me that most of their filters will fail right off the start and bypass the filter element, equivalent to not running a filter at all.
i wonder if that guy was just a disgruntled employee... i havent found fram to be that bad. never a problem with fram, but theyre like any napa or whatever cheap filter you find. lube them up and dont tighten them too tight and they work ok.

but compare it to a motorcraft filter and its an obvious difference. motorcraft is bigger, heavier and just feels much more sound.

Tb8983

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Not big enough
I run the cheap stuff from autozone or shucks but in my ranger I run full syenthetic stuff like 6 bucks a quart so I guess it's just preference

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
I will stick with the fram filters my self. But will have to try out that oil that every one likes to see if it helps with the oil pressure gauge jumping every time i step on the gas.
That's normal. I'd run Motorcraft filters if I were you, but do whatever you want. Cut a Fram filter apart and you'll see why they are crap.

FWIW I run Rotella 15w-40 in the summer and 5w-30 in the winter. It won't hold oil pressure with the 5w-30 when it's really hot in the summer.

John Smith

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
shell rotella-t 15-40

I ran Shell Rotella-T 15-40 in my 2.9 and it stopped the ticking. I run that same oil in my 4.0 since my 2.9 liked it so much. You can get it about anywhere. I also run Napa Gold filters, since they're rebadged Wix. I picked up that trick here years ago, seems everyone on this board swore by that oil for the 2.9. Am I the only one left that won't use anything else in the 2.9 or 4.0 OHV?
that's the answer....

derekj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger 4wd
Castrol high mileage 10w30 and a Napa gold filter. The 4.0lt truck gets same combo but 5w30.

Derek

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
i run Amsoil full synethic 10w30 with Amsoil absolute efficiency filter. I change oil at about 16,000-18,000 miles. I usually have to add a quart around 12,000.

Twister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1987
Vehicle
Duh
Engine Size
2.8L, 2.9L
Motorcraft Filter and Pennzoil 5w30 High Mileage for the 2.8

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Stay away from the cheap filters!! They are pure junk and only wind up filtering for about 500 miles then it just goes into bypass mode. If you are used to diesels as it appears from your post, use the same filters that most heavy truckers use..Baldwin. They have applications for the 2.9 and are a high quality filter. Truckers have to make a living with there trucks and most won't even think about sacrificing quality when it comes to there very expensive engines, hence most use Baldwin filters. I also like the Rotella oil and again most truckers use Rotella. I've heard alot of people swear by synthetic in the 2.9 but have yet to try it myself. Hope this helps.

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
I'll never use Penzoil.. I've seen the buildup in valve covers and things. Maybe its just me and the vehicles i've seen. Idk. I agree with greasemonkey. Truckers live by their trucks running and not breaking down. And i've used rotella in everything for years... once again, thats just me b/c my father is a diesel mechanic and thats all he ever has used. But its never failed me. I'll recommend it to anything except racing dirtbikes or quads that turn so many rpm's.

kemo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The ONLY time you'll see sludge build up is lack of maintenance. I'm sick of the Pennzoil bashing, people have no idea wtf they are talking about. it's all 2nd hand bs.

Do your research and quit bashing Pennzoil. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennzoil

As of FY 2007 Pennzoil was the number one selling motor oil in the United States
Hmm, #1 selling motor oil... and there are still a LOT of cars/trucks on the streets.