•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

What's this??

IRKillroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
you've done a lot of modding and I just wanted to say, you could have turned your exhaust upside down and switched sides (don't know if it would mate up this way really, but it works in other non ford engines) and made a cross over up front and down to the PS of the engine compartment.. then you just had to wrap the entire exhause and put a heat shield or two on it....

but it would probably have been more simple....

either way, what's the compression of a 4.0l?????

EDIT: where can I get one of those grill covers?!! I need one of those during winter here in Michigan.

Last edited:

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
you've done a lot of modding and I just wanted to say, you could have turned your exhaust upside down and switched sides (don't know if it would mate up this way really, but it works in other non ford engines) and made a cross over up front and down to the PS of the engine compartment.. then you just had to wrap the entire exhause and put a heat shield or two on it....

but it would probably have been more simple....

either way, what's the compression of a 4.0l?????

EDIT: where can I get one of those grill covers?!! I need one of those during winter here in Michigan.
It is possible but i didn't feel like having to snake hot pipes up and around the rad and powersteering gear. This setup worked just perfect. Compression should be around 9.5:1.

IRKillroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
I like the design of putting one on...

I have a few ideas for a 347 turbo... have it about 8.5:1 and boost it up to 10:1 (not huge by any means) so I can attempt to keep the power within reason in less than desirable driving conditions.

I have seen a turbo kit that replaces mufflers in the back and though you have lots of pipe, it keeps the head out of the engine bay, and with some fab work you can box in the turbo under the truck for off roading purposes and water splash....

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
With the turbo down low you still have to get the intake pipes up to the TB. The least amount of pipe is what I wanted for the intake.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
the underside turbo setups have created quite a stir in the turbo community to say the least, they are interesting but leave your turbo wide open to get busted up by the elements. if a skid plate was made around them to keep them from getting beatup but still able to breathe to cool off i could see it working. lots of plumbing tho and the closer the turbo is to the engine the less you run and less crap to go wrong to say the least.

IRKillroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
if your boost in set up to compensate you won't notice lag... you need the volume of the pipe included in the calculations.... each intake will require the pipe to get filled to that PSI again.... it ain't no thing.

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
If you couple the turbo where the cat use to be lag will not be an issue. the more lenght of pipe before the turbine the more the exhaust has lost heat=lower velocity gases that have contacted as they lose heat. Turbos love heat. With out heat and cylinder pressure (load) you will not spool the turbo. As for remote monting if you have room under the hood just put it under the hood so that it can be above the sump line. Its less costly as you will not need a scavenge pump to return the oil. not to mention the pumps are a little noisy and can fail at anytime. Its just easier to gravity drain the turbo. Cold side has little affect on spool time as it dosent take much to fill a large volume once the turbos spooled up. As for compression. If your only going to run low boost like below 15lbs keep the compression above 9:1 as anything lower would be just a loss when your out of boost.

IRKillroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
the heat issue is minimal... we're not talking about a crew cab super duty long bed... once passed the cat we're talking about three feet, and the loss of heat is minimal while velocity is basically pressure now as no stock cat is "free flowing". the gases need to exhaust so they will spool the turbo up... the largest decision will be the A/R ratio....

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
This isn't a remote mount setup and never planned to be. SO I don't understand what this has to do with what i am doing. This is an offroad rig that will and has seen rocks and what it can do to the underside of a rig. Points have aready been made about the down sides to a remote mount.

I had room in the engine bay so that is where I mounted mine. I'm getting close to doing a road test.

I just need to finish routing the exit tube from the blow off valve to the low pressure side of the intake. It's going to shoot directly into the turbo. I have the mount welded to the pressure side of the intake and have leak tested it and all is well.

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
The bov looks great so how long until the turbo spins?

dieselboy740

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86 bronco2
nice. I had to do a recirculate on the bII also because the vam is really sensitive to that crap. I just used a volvo stock adjustable one i had laying around

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, uh.....you suck!

Was gonna ask ya where the lights are? Gonna do a few on the bumper or roof?

-andrew