•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

What's this??

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
I set it up to recirculate so that I don't loose the metered air that has already gone by the MAFS. Dumping it to atmosphere will create a rich spike. This just sends more carbon down the exhaust and I've seen it cover the back of a car with soot.

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
some people have had problems with recirculation and some havent. I have my bov dumped to atmoshpere after the maf with no issues. this is mostly because I have my bov adjusted to only open to purge during throttle cut. You can adjust bovs so they stay open during vaccum (idle) and this would cause rough idle conditions do to unmetered air. The rich spike dosent happen on my setup because the only time my bov opens is when the throttle slams shut and the ecu cuts fuel over 1500rpm and over 140degrees for de-acceleration

IRKillroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
that's generally when a BOV operates anyhow... if you have it open for anything else you're kinda screwing up the system... a waste gate should be used to control the boost beyond PSI spikes from throttle closure.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Had the truck out on the street yesterday. I was only running 3 PSI but it sure gives a kick in the pants.

Im sure my injector trigger idea is going to work out just fine. Cursing down the highway I'm at about 10 pounds of vacuum. Once I start to push the throttle down a bit it jumps to 0, then when the foot is too the floor it jumps to 3.

Last edited:

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
that's generally when a BOV operates anyhow... if you have it open for anything else you're kinda screwing up the system... a waste gate should be used to control the boost beyond PSI spikes from throttle closure.
When you close the throttle you lose the energy that spins the turbine so the wastegate isnt going to help you there only the bov because inertia keeps the compressor spinning. Also some guys do use bovs as bypasses at idle. The vaccum from a closed throttle keeps the bypass open alowing air to bypass the compressor. This can help if you have long snaking pipes of intercooler and compressor before air reaches the IAC. Then once the throttle is opened no more vaccum=bypass shuts. Throttle slams shut instant vaccum and pressure pushing up on the valve.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Bye Bye headgasket, and oil seals on the turbo :annoyed::annoyed:

#4 plug is wet and it's got a stumble, and the turbo is blowing oil

Turbo will be pulled and it will be turned back into a DD for the time being.

I'm not selling the turbo stuff at all. I've still got plans for it. Since the kit should easily fit another 4.0L or even adapt to a 2.9L.:icon_idea:

Bill G

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 2.8
That sux big time. Nothing like putting tons of work into something and having it take a crap so soon. How much boost were you running? Did the turbo have a lot of miles on it also?

Bill G

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 2.8
Ya the turbo had some HARD miles and lots of track time on it.

It was only going 3.5 PSI under hard load.
I understand the turbo letting go, but to blow a head gasket at 3.5 psi. That isn't a whole bunch. Did the motor have a bunch miles on it also?

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
I understand the turbo letting go, but to blow a head gasket at 3.5 psi. That isn't a whole bunch. Did the motor have a bunch miles on it also?
The motor does have a bunch of miles on it but before the turbo went on I put all new gaskets on it.

Shit happens and you move on and put it in your pocket as a learning experience. I will revisit this project soon, just won't be on this Bronco.

Bill G

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 2.8
Shit happens and you move on and put it in your pocket as a learning experience. I will revisit this project soon, just won't be on this Bronco.
I look forward to your next project. You are always blazing new trails on what you do.

99RangerBoss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
dude that sucks ballz man that bronco was killer, just go to bucks and grab a 5.0 and toss'er in there!

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Welcome to the world of leaking turbos lol. Sucks to hear and Im right there with you on blown HGs Ive already replaced them once in the last year due to boost and now there slowly showing signs again. Not to mention my MAF crapped out so I cant get on it hard unti lI can get to the yard to replace the MAF. Sucks to hear your giving up so quickly but I hear ya nothing like having a daily driver that is independable. My explorer is my DD too and due to its unreliable almost 20yr ld truck Im buying another car soon to replace its spot as a DD. Once i have tyhe cash eventually the head gasket puking 4.0 is going in the garabge and i want to reinforced the frame and swap in a cummins motor maybe a 4bt or 6bt if i feel like doing alot of modification.

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Hey, at least now you know exactly how to do it.

Sux man.

IRKillroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
The motor does have a bunch of miles on it but before the turbo went on I put all new gaskets on it.

hind sighting being what it is, did you use full copper gaskets? (if they make them for the 4.0l)

you can try this company to see what the cost could be to have custom head gaskets (sometimes it's what you need to do)

I will mourn for your loss....