•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

When is it time to call it quits?

wild horse

Forum Moderator
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Too shocked to comment about what? And I get that some people think that I'm thinking about doing a v-8 swap, But understand that I already have a v-8 in it and was just woundering if I should downgrade on size? I'm running a 5.8 and was thinking of going to a 5.0 to save on weight and I can get more swap parts like headers and whatnot if I go to a 302 so what do ya all think?
The reason I like the 5.8 is that everybody and there momma runs 302's , But not many people run the 5.8 for whatever reason :dunno: But over all I love it.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
The 302 swap would probably be a benefit for you, as there is more of an aftermarket for the 302's due to the huge popularity of them and all of the swaps that people do. If I had the 302 and the time to do a swap I would definitely consider and most likely do it. I've never seen a ranger or bronco 2 with a 351, I've seen dozens with the 302 conversion though. The 351's sounded like more of a pain to try and swap as they didn't bolt up as easily or something.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
It`s only been about 8 years and my ranger is pretty good right now. Drop the pan on the tranny and look for large metal shavings. Alot of metal flakes is pretty normal especially if it hasent been serviced. Pull the access cover and turn the crank until you can drain the torque converter. Get a can of cooler line cleaner and flush out the tranny cooler lines. If it was working there is no reason to assume otherwise. I just bought a C-3 tranny from a guy in Tacoma that had a truck fire I`m sure you can get the motor for cheap, when you said it has a cracked block how did you determine that? So far I have changed the motor, tranny, rear end and radiator. Did the duraspark conversion and shes running pretty good righ now (knock on wood). Sounds like your short on money and long on time actually a good combo. Keep an eye on craigs list I paid $250 for a good tranny he wanted $150 but I paid him $250 if he would pull it for me. I say focus on the most important first get the engine running good, change all the gear oils, go through the brakes. If you can find a donor vehicle for cheap would be ideal but not all that probable they go fast as soon as posted especially the B-II. The rangers all still seem to be running good. If you need help getting the motor running once you get all the duraspark components I live about 45 minutes away and will help you trash the computer crap and bring that engine to life.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Wild, if you are considering it just for weight differences, I wouldn't say it is worth the swap. But that is determined by you and only you. As for parts . . same headers will fit a 351 as fit the 302. They will sit out wider, so I know that creates more problems. Then again, with the 50 extra cubes, great headers may not be needed to be at the same power level. If fuel mileage isn't a concern, I wouldn't make the change.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Wild, if you are considering it just for weight differences, I wouldn't say it is worth the swap. But that is determined by you and only you. As for parts . . same headers will fit a 351 as fit the 302. They will sit out wider, so I know that creates more problems. Then again, with the 50 extra cubes, great headers may not be needed to be at the same power level. If fuel mileage isn't a concern, I wouldn't make the change.
What kind of mileage do people get out of the swap normally, would it be worth it for fuel economy to swap from the 2.8L to a 302? Or would I be worse for fuel economy doing so? I'm about at the point where the constant problems with engine work are annoying me to where I about want to rip out the engine and put something else in.

wild horse

Forum Moderator
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Well as far as the motor goes I know it's cracked because you can see 2 cracks going up the cylinder wall , And when the last big freeze hit the area I only had water in the motor and could not get anybody to drain the block and well the rest is not hard to figure out. I am running the dura spark ignition and hate it and want to go to the MSD Off-Road ignition but it's about $300 for the box That I dont have at the moment. And as far as gas milage goes- Well lets just say that it got less (less) then 5 m.p.g on a good day but thats to be expected from a wore out motor But it's just mainly getting help doing the lift and wiring as The person that was helping me bailed out and moved to texas and left me with a mess to figure out that he was paid to fix. I have no problems helping that will help me and I have a couple of motors in my garage - A .40 over 302 and a .30 over 351 wich is just a block w/mains and a crank and dont know what route I should go? And thanks for all the great imput !:icon_twisted:

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
I've certainly posted as much as I can that . . . . I get 17 mpg with my 302. But I built it for efficiency and I expected it to rival the 2.8 in mpg. And in my case, it does. This is with driving carefully. If I hot rod it around, I'm more like 15 mpg. This is with the stock 3.45s. I finally have the 3.08s I wanted and will be installing them when I find the time. I expect a tad more on the highway . . we'll see. If you search, you will find my 302 specs.

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
No scrapping allowed - these things are just too perfect...at least to me.

Everytime I see one, I think man what a perfect vehicle...even the ugly ones.

I bought a hitch off a guy who scrapped his for @ $300...he could have made that in parts in a hurry. He said he didn't know.

Take a look at the pics of some of the great ones out there and stay the course. :icon_thumby:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
No scrapping allowed - these things are just too perfect...at least to me.

Everytime I see one, I think man what a perfect vehicle...even the ugly ones.

I bought a hitch off a guy who scrapped his for @ $300...he could have made that in parts in a hurry. He said he didn't know.

Take a look at the pics of some of the great ones out there and stay the course. :icon_thumby:
I called a scrap yard on my B2 and they told me they would give me $150. I laughed at the guy and said I will sell you the wheels for $150. He hung up on me...imagine that.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
What kind of mileage do people get out of the swap normally, would it be worth it for fuel economy to swap from the 2.8L to a 302? Or would I be worse for fuel economy doing so? I'm about at the point where the constant problems with engine work are annoying me to where I about want to rip out the engine and put something else in.
turbo 4 cyl.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
turbo 4 cyl.
Only if its a diesel LOL. If I had the money I'd seriously think about doing that 4BT swap, sounds like a pretty good diesel option. Problem is my pocket book says not only no but hell no you aren't LOL. Someday maybe, if the B2 stays around that long, the issues I keep having is edging it closer and closer to the junk pile.

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Swapping a V8 in is not going to cure your issues, in fact, you will likely have a lot of bugs to work out, especially right after you get it on the road.

Anyway, I get 11-12. That is with 4.10's and 35" tires. It's fun to drive and I drive it as such. A truck that is close to factory configuration would certainly do much better than mine.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Swapping a V8 in is not going to cure your issues, in fact, you will likely have a lot of bugs to work out, especially right after you get it on the road.

Anyway, I get 11-12. That is with 4.10's and 35" tires. It's fun to drive and I drive it as such. A truck that is close to factory configuration would certainly do much better than mine.
Kind of figured as much. I think I'll stick with my 2.8L, and get the wiring crap all fixed in it, and eventually get a carburetor for it so I can start driving it again, as I've got a fuel leak on the bottom of the front of the carburetor and one where the accelerator pump is as well so I try not to drive it unless I just have to now. Will be taking out the starter this week and adding shims as its making an awful grinding noise since having it replaced last week.

On my last tank of fuel running around town my calculations came out to about 17mpg which I don't find too bad for this engine for around town. Can't wait to get it running and reliable enough to run on the highway so I can see what kind of highway mileage it will get.

natmanjoh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
To wild horse. I live in Kent and currently learning and working on my rig. First vehicle I've ever worked on so its been fun. I dont mind lending a hand to help if you need some. Let me know and ill see what i can do.

So far ive done a lift, 8.8 swap, and 4.0 swap. Some bugs still to work out with the 4.0 but it works. Just dont have tach or temp gauge. Next will be d35 when I can afford it. Still need to do my pitman arm

Anyway, pm me if interested.

Badeddie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I am on my sixth and LAST Bronco II. And I say last because nearly every one I've ever had I would let people around me convince me it wasn't worth fixing up and my dumb ass would sell it. NO MORE! I had an 85 that was a PITA rustbucket that I gladly got rid of bbut the rest were sweet but because they weren't perfect I was talked into selling them. My current one is an 87 Eddie Bauer. Green with tan interior. Sure it needs some work.trucks 27 yrs old. Needs a little bodywork and paint. Interiors in real nice shape. Engine smokes sometimes but not excessively. I drive it daily and he runs GREAT. So it boils down to this. If you are happy with it. Baby it. Improve it when you can and KEEP IT. NOT MANY LEFT OF US ON THE ROAD. WE TURN HEADS!

wild horse

Forum Moderator
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Amen to that ! Well I finaly got the front diff dropped and am in the process of cleaning it up and painting and rebuilding it , But I found a pair of dana28 and 7.5 lockers for $100 each and wounder if I should get them? Or for $500 I can get a compleatly rebuilt front diff so which is a better idea?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Once you start tearing things a part, you will start finding crap you didn't know was wrong. If there's nothing wrong with the axles themselves why swap them? Unless you plan on modifying the vehicle heavily for offroad use you DO NOT need lockers period, they just add to the growing number of things that will lead to other things getting broke and more money to repair. Just use common sense when you are offroad on trails, don't drive through crap that you shouldn't be in in the first place. I used to take my 84 ford ranger 4x2 hunting on some pretty nasty roads and was often laughed at, but asked how the hell did you get here by guys in modified 4x4's.

If I were you I'd keep it as is, don't be doing all of the lift kits, engine swaps, axle swaps etc. that everyone on here tries to shove at everyone. These older trucks are getting harder and harder to find, and are more often looked at if they're stock rather than modified.

My 84 Bronco 2 has tons of issues, but I think I may be getting close to the end of the major mechanical stuff, now more or less onto the body rust issues if I only knew how to do metal work as all the shops around are telling me its not worth fixing which just makes me sad when they say crap like that. I think that if its repaired the right way you wouldn't be able to tell, and at 30 years old, things are going to go wrong no matter what you do. If I had the money to restore my bronco 2 I would leave it completely stock, and stock colors as well.

Just take your time, and do repairs over time, don't try to jump into it all at once because it will quickly get you going in so many different directions that things will get screwed up, you'll get frustrated and do something stupid like sell it. (Kind of like what happened with my 84 Ford Ranger 4x2. I got frustrated with the engine problems I sold it for $700, guy who bought it replaced the TFI module and well as far as I know is still driving it. Like I said take your time, plan everything out before jumping in. Once you get it done you will look back and realize what all you accomplished and will have a great vehicle to show off to everyone.

So a couple days ago I installed a different carburetor on my B2, got it somewhat adjusted and drove it to work, it ran like crap the whole way LOL, got home after work and did more adjusting and its running much better. Now to get my oil leaks fixed, and find out WTF the knocking noise is under load. Can't be something engine related as I can sit in the driveway in neutral and rev the engine and there's no knocking, just from stop up to cruising speed. It went away for a while after doing a bunch of adjustments on the other carburetor but then it was idling way too high.

Anyhow, keep with the project, I was tossing around the idea of either scrapping the B2, or seeing about selling it somehow and finding a small car but either way I wouldn't get crap for it because of the body rust and interior being gutted. Don't give up, even if you have to let it set for a while then go back to it.