•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

2 piece rear hatch

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
I'm supposed to be getting mine tonight, I'm freakin stoked. Then, I'll just need to finish rattle cannin my truck.

whocares

Reaction score
Be sure to post some pics of it when you get it. I rattled mine green to match the BII. I'm looking for a good way to fix the hairline cracks at the top corners of the window. I found this stuff called "Capt. Tollleys creeping crack cure' ( lol, I know) that's for use on fiberglass boat cracks. Anyone have any experience with it or other suggestions?

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Not all B2s had the spare on the outside. Some had a mount inside the hatch. Hence no holes on the hatch.

whocares

Reaction score
Not all B2s had the spare on the outside. Some had a mount inside the hatch. Hence no holes on the hatch.

I was wondering if some came without it. This hatch either had the holes filled when the bracket was removed or Ford used the same hatch with holes and filled them at the factory. I just drilled out the filler and bolted mine on. Did the ones that came without the swing away carrier still have the cutout on the passenger side of the hatch?

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
No there shouldn't be any notches either

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
I'm not sure I wanna put my spare tire carrier back on. That thing can tear up some hatches.

whocares

Reaction score
I'm keeping the carrier, but mounting the spare on the roof rack (when I get one) I think I will use the tire carrier to mount a jerry can and maybe a highlift and try to keep the weight down so it doesn't mess up the hatch.

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Got my new one mounted today, had to shim it a bit. No rattles and I love havin the opening back glass

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
i may try to find one of these for 2 reasons...
1. opening glass
2. to keep my custom airbrushed liftgate, thinking about hanging it in my shed or something. its to awesome to paint over.

but i NEED a spare tire mount

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
I had to do a little work to get mine working right too. Where did you shim?
Where the hinges bolt to the body, I put a 1/8 inch washer on each side.

Would have taken pics but I did it myself, so didn't have the extra hands.

I love it, I love it, I love it. I can't believe that they didn't put those on all of them.

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I too put an opening glass hatch on my 88 that needed a shim on the left side. I am going to add in the wiper motor from my Ex doner and put heating elements on the glass as no BII ever came with opening glass/wiper/washer/heating element. To make this work i will have to mod my carrier bracket a bit. I'll post that up when I do it. I wish I had taken pics when I did another mod that has prevented any cracking in my 87's hatch even after driving over Alaska "roads" for the last 2 years with a 31" spare tire mounted up and two -50F winters under it's belt. I expoxied in a steel plate I fabbed up and I think I still have the proto type of. It covered over the mounting holes and extended 4 or 5 inches beyond. I did that orignally to repair a wickedly cracked hatch on an '84 BII. I am going to do it for this hatch as well as it has a small crack in it above the carrier bracket. I iwll defintely take pics and post them when I get to this part of the build up.

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Cool, make it detailed. I still have my wiper motor and heating element, might try it too.

whocares

Reaction score
How are you guys getting the heating elements off the explorer window and be able to re-use them?

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
I have no idea, thats why I asked for pics