•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

2 piece rear hatch

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Let me rephrase that. i have not had the time to investigate the procedure. But aren't those elements in the window itself. Therefore, the window would half to be removed from the donor and drilled to fit the hinges. That tells me that it probably won't happen for me, feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

whocares

Reaction score
Let me rephrase that. i have not had the time to investigate the procedure. But aren't those elements in the window itself. Therefore, the window would half to be removed from the donor and drilled to fit the hinges. That tells me that it probably won't happen for me, feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.
lol, Ok, now you're a little help. I agree with that assessment. I think the elements are stuck to the glass, which still renders them useless because you cant remove them and re attach them. I was hoping it would be a direct swap of the rear glass, but I think I am hoping too much. I would like to have a rear defroster though.

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
I looked at the rear defroster, Its stuck on the window, so my question is , can you buy a new defroster "decal"? That way you could just stick it on the current window. I have the wiring for it and it just plugs into the window.

Plus, the defroster isn't much good without the wiper.

Don't think its worth the effort.

whocares

Reaction score
I looked at the rear defroster, Its stuck on the window, so my question is , can you buy a new defroster "decal"? That way you could just stick it on the current window. I have the wiring for it and it just plugs into the window.

Plus, the defroster isn't much good without the wiper.

Don't think its worth the effort.

You can buy them, I have seen them on some other sites. Come in different sizes with the switch and wiring....but they are proud of them, too expensive for me.

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
No you cannot resue an element, they'll just tear up. I got one for a minivan a while back from JC Whitney and as said they are available from several places. The biggest part of this will be mounting the expolorer style wiper motor as my hatch of course does not have the mounting at all as it was not designed to have a wiper so I get to craft that to my liking. A new element will be affixed to the glass and connected to teh explorer harness I grafted into my BII. Then moddifying the carrier bracket so the wiper arm can drop down enough to clear the glass. I have though about this a bit but not done it yet.

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
i remember that from some banter between ya'll on his build thread. Is he still mad at trs?

whocares

Reaction score
I just noticed on that pic of the Bronco that the latch part that bolts on to the hatch is shorter than mine. Mine has a total of 3 bolts, the top two and the third is in the part that extends down past the body line. Guess its just a difference in years?

Tony Raine

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I was wondering if some came without it. This hatch either had the holes filled when the bracket was removed or Ford used the same hatch with holes and filled them at the factory. I just drilled out the filler and bolted mine on. Did the ones that came without the swing away carrier still have the cutout on the passenger side of the hatch?

yeah, i had 3 hatches, all in very good shape:

-solid window, cutouts for tire carrier
-solid window, not cutouts
-opening glass, cutouts for tire carrier

i advertised the first one for $50, and a guy picked it up 3 hours later with cash in hand and no haggling.

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Whocares,
Yep early ones only had 2 bolt type. I put the three bolt on my 84 hatch. Hopefully in the next couple weekends I can get to this mod....