•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

diff

littlezell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I have a 96 explorer... noise coming from front diff.... how hard is that to work on??? and what would I need to fix it??

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
What kind of noise. "Noise" is like going to the doc and saying "it hurts". It tells us something is wrong but doesn't really give anymore info.

Could be gears, or bearings or both. Easiest route is to get a used axle and put it in.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1936/1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
V-8...Carbed/fo-barrel
What kind of noise. "Noise" is like going to the doc and saying "it hurts". It tells us something is wrong but doesn't really give anymore info.

Could be gears, or bearings or both. Easiest route is to get a used axle and put it in.

Firm.....yet helpful reply considering lack of detail by Poster....

littlezell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I am getting a roaring noise from the front end... both wheel bearings have been changed... u-joints in driveshaft are in good condition... Its a roar like a wheel bearing thats dry.... Dont have any grinding or binding when I put it in 4 wheel drive... checked fluid and its fine... thinking I just need to pull cover and see if I can visually find anything wrong with it..

Sasquatch_Ryda

Coast Mountain Crawlers
Supporting Member
Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2002/2008
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L/4.0L/6.4L
You won't be pulling the cover without dropping the entire front differential housing assembly....

If you have done the front wheel bearings, very well could be a bad pinion bearing.