•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

disciplerocks's B2 build thread

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Well I just dropped off the t case and shaft to have it cut and splined. Hope it goes well.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Supporting Member
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Dustin, keep me posted on what they had to do and what it ran you cost wise...I need to get mine done...:D
SVT

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Out with the old.

In with the new.

This is a mock up so I could get the bracket placement right. Going to pull it back off and weld her all up and brace, then re brace the bracket. Does the placement look good?

kris97ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 4.2 litre
well that should free up some flex. i didnt see how you got any at all with that old steering setup. as i see it when the 2 beams come down they knuckles get closer together same with any uptravel so having a solid link between the 2 would screw that up.

im assuming that your going to be plating/bracing the pivot point in front of the drivers side beam?

dangerranger83

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
I dont like the idea of running heims on a DD, told they can wear out fast. I drive my truck 80-100 miles a week and when I built mine didnt intend on doing that either.

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Been running heims on my radius arms for quite some time now with no problems.

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
I was curious to know how long they actually last on steering for a DD. I've heard so much bad and I don't have the money to replace them often. Oh well. Guess I'll find out by you spending your money! Keep us updated.

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
are you welding if with the HF welder? i STRONGLY suggest you dont.

railman

December 2011 OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
once ya got it tacked up...take it to Greg's and use his 220V welder to finish burning it.....I know he won't care.....

Dustin, we aren't putting you or your welder down by any means....just a larger welder on those heavy parts is a must......

l8r, John

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Oh I know. I didnt spend all this money, to just throw some weak welds on there. I was going to see how well mine would penetrate and how good the bead turned out.

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Then it will be weaker when you try to re-weld it, there's a whole lot more force on that bracket then you think.

Tack it with yours then take it to a real welder. Seriously it will break while on the road at speed. It's not worth risking the whole truck to save an hour

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Supporting Member
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Dustin, you might want to start saving your pennies for a 220 welder, your technique and welds are good, just the tool you are using needs upgrading. I'm sure you can sell your welder on here to recoup some money. Check out either Clist or Ebay to find em a little cheaper...
SVT

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Out with the old.

In with the new.

This is a mock up so I could get the bracket placement right. Going to pull it back off and weld her all up and brace, then re brace the bracket. Does the placement look good?
The jacks are causing your suspension to not sit like it should and normally does at ride height. To get a more accurate placement measurement for where to weld that bracket (this is what I should have done) I would put the tires back on, and put a plate and two steel dowels underneath one tire, so that the suspension is not fighting the ground (scrubbing) and the beams can go to their static ride height and not be jacked/angled like they are now. Once that is done, take a measure on where to place that bracket. I lined mine up so that the pivot of the draglink and the axle beam were vertically in line with each other.

Also before you weld it up, make sure the clearances are all good between the back side of the bracket and the axle drop bracket. Ask me how I know :icon_twisted: lol

Here is mine (before). Notice how it is on jack stands, and should have been down on the ground. I would have ended up with better bracket placement had I done so:

Welded up:

Of course, I had to change steering setups b/c I had too much lift for the "stonecrusher" style and had to go to a modified superlift superruner setup (night and day difference in driving). Let us know how it drives after you get it all together. I am curious how it will handle in a BII with flexy coils like yours.

I agree, have someone or borrow someone's 220V mig. Hell I sticked mine with 3/16's 7018 H4 @ around 125 amps IIRC. That works too. :icon_welder: Need serious penetration for steering components, something the smaller welders cannot accommodate.

And I'd try and beef that bracket up a little for the drivers side tie rod. It needs a larger area to spread the load. I used TrailGear.com's hydro assist weld on bracket for 1.25" OD DOM. Working out nice. Looking good otherwise :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Thanks man. I knew it alignment of the beams would be off after I jacked it up. Thats why I did all my measuring before hand. Where did you get that bracket? I have been looking for something like that. I wanted it to be one piece and I can't find anything like that anywhere.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6