•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

extended radius arm yes or no ????

tmaxxman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
:icon_confused:would it be worth mine time and money to put extended radius arm on my truck or not it has 3" body and 2 " suspension on it let me know what you think:icon_cheers:

[/IMG]

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
No, I doubt your suspension would travel far enough to make them worthwhile.

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
With 2" suspension lift, I would say no.

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Depends... You really don't need it. But if you are making them cheap... Do it anyways! Lol. Now if you're buying... No

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
I'm plannin on it this spring when I install my D35, I'm going to build mine. I can't see paying 600 bucks.

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Thats it. I have the heim ones.

Little X

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Extending the RA's will give you a lot more travel, but to use the travel you will also need to swap in different springs and different shocks.

Think of it this way: let's say the stock suspension had 3" of bump and 7" of droop, a total of 10" of travel. By adding 2" lift springs but keeping the stock RA's you still only have 10" of travel, but now it will be 5" bump and 5" droop. By extending the RA's (and changing your springs/shocks) you could increase the droop to lets say 10", giving you a total of 15" of travel. (These numbers aren't spot on, but they give you the general idea)

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Duh!
actually i have aorund 2.5" of front lift, and my radius arms dont allow much droop because of the bushings binding, prolly be worth it with longer shocks

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Little X is right on.

Think of it this way, do you want height, or suspension travel? I'm guessing height only, for ground and tire clearance. A light wheeling rig/daily driver has no use for extended radius arms because your suspension will never travel enough to make them worthwhile.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Duh!
Little X is right on.

Think of it this way, do you want height, or suspension travel? I'm guessing height only, for ground and tire clearance. A light wheeling rig/daily driver has no use for extended radius arms because your suspension will never travel enough to make them worthwhile.
i hate uncontrolled 3 wheel motion on a top heavy b2 with roof mounted spare. came really close to endo'ing it once and bout shit myself

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
i hate uncontrolled 3 wheel motion on a top heavy b2 with roof mounted spare. came really close to endo'ing it once and bout shit myself
It only gets worse the higher you go... you lose the radius arm sway bar with extended arms too. My old B2 had no sway bars, 6" lift and 33's... tippy little bastard. Same setup on my Ranger was way more stable. I am a huge fan of stiff leaf springs in Bronco II's to control the body roll a little as well.

BONES

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
I think if you need to ask, you shouldn't do it.

GMillion$

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
pair a 94's
Vehicle
FoMoCo
I'd say do it. I have about 2.5" of lift on my dd and found that with the 2.25deg camber/caster bushings maxed out for camber, my caster was pretty bad (axle beams were rotated forward so much that my coils were rubbing on the swaybar links!).

I found an old ranger with an sj 6" lift at the wrecker and pulled the rad arms, x-member, and springs from it and bolted up the arms and x-member and they give waaaayyyy more droop than the the stockers.

I think the only downside i can see, is now i need longer shocks and brakelines to use the extra travel!