•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Fuel pump question

Catterman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9V6
Which one do I need? Got a 1990, and i8t takes a good amount (5 seconds) of cranking before she will fire. Seems to lack fuel for the first few seconds after that before it runs smooth. Fuel pump is really noisey too. Thanks!

BLACK-MAXX Part # BM13K
Fuel Pump and Strainer Kit;w/Fuel Injection. In-Tank Fuel Pump w/Brass Pump Outlet Tube. Tank Flange Gasket Not Included.
$18.99

PERFORMANCE ELECTRIC Part # P13K Fuel Pump and Strainer Kit One of our most popular parts
w/Fuel Injection. In-Tank Fuel Pump w/Brass Pump Outlet Tube. Tank Flange Gasket Not Included.
$19.26

PERFORMANCE ELECTRIC Part # P46K Fuel Pump Module Repair Kit One of our most popular parts
Important - For use for models w/ OEM plastic fuel pump module assembly. Instructions not included.
$20.79

BLACK-MAXX Part # BM46K
Fuel Pump Module Repair Kit;Important - For use for models w/ OEM plastic fuel pump module assembly. Instructions not included.
$24.79

PRECISE Part # 402P2490 Electric Pump
$32.99

PERFORMANCE ELECTRIC Part # P46B Fuel Pump Module One of our most popular parts Center Tank or 19 Gallon Rear Plastic Tank. Fuel Pump Strainer included.
$33.79

PRECISE Part # 402P2059MN Module Assembly
Module; Pump Portion Only
$36.79

AUTOBEST Part # F1060A Module Assembly
$46.79

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Try changing your fuel filter first

Catterman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9V6
Changing the fuel filter had no effect. :( I ordered a fuel injection pressure regulater and will see if that makes a difference. If not, I will need a fuel pump I think :(

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
I'm not familiar with the ones you listed... I've always had good luck with Carter fuel pumps.

Some of the prices on those are scary.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I would not buy an electric fuel pump for less than $75.

Most of those are probably pump repair kits. It's just the electric pump, you have to install it on the manifold assembly. I prefer to get a sender assembly.

Catterman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9V6
Thanks for the tips. So what I need to do is make sure I get a complete pump with sender and the electric pump?

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
If your sender is in good shape, I don't see why it can't be reused, though I s'pose one could argue how much life is left in it and that it could fail not long after you reinstall it... Certainly if you don't install the pump onto it properly could cause it to fail too.

The latter actually happened to me once. :annoyed:
Some years back I had the pump quit on me while out on a 4WD trail. Upon pulling the unit out of the tank I found some schmuck PO had been in there (probably was replacing the pump) and hacked up the wiring and did a shitty job resoldering it (which is why it failed, the wires had come apart).

Unaware at the time there were different versions of pumps/pump-senders, I ended up getting just a pump unit (Carter), and had to install it onto the sender. Since then it's been fine, though I also know how to solder lol. Pretty sure it's the OE sender.

For sure if you don't have soldering experience, buy a complete unit.