•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

If you had $2000 what will you do?

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Full width SAS with V8. As long as its spent wisely.

The Jester Race

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2006
Vehicle
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 2.5
Full width SAS with V8. As long as its spent wisely.
My ass. I have 4 grand in my front end alone and another 2 in the rear.

Go check out the "Price out you SAS build thread"
$2000 doesn't go very far. $100 here, $100 there, that shit adds up quick. And rubber is expensive.

I'm not saying that it can't be done, I'm just saying that it is unrealistic.

If I had $2000 to spend on a stock BII, the first thing I would do is an engine swap. Get that squared away and then if you're wanting to improve the offroad capability, a lift kit. If not, upgrade the sound system. Good speakers, amp, and a small sub.

Or if you're wanting to do an SAS, save the money, and keep saving up while you plan out your build.

-Jester

JoshT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
I'd put it in the bank for a rainy day and keep driving the BII. Sooner or later something expensive is going to break and you'll wish you had that money when it does. It's a 25 year old truck so it'll likely happen sooner than later.

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Find a 91-94 explorer. Swap in the d35 and 4.0. Plenty of power, yet still economical.

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Pffft I have almost all parts for my sas and I'm sitting at 650 in parts. If
He's building it for light wheeling he can do it for two grand easy. Not sure why everyone has to spend so much.

Also he said what would I do if
I had that much. It's exactly what
I'm doing now.

scooter

October OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
2 girls at once man. Yeaaaaa.

darkchris117

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I was thinking of just doing a lift kit and adding some tires......do any of you guys have any efficient recommendations??? because i know tires cost a lot of money

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
If you're not wheeling it, Slap on a 4" Rough Country lift and a set of 31's or 32's and call it good. I would suggest BF Goodrich KM2s. They ride great on the road, are quiet and will get you through almost any situation (be it snow, mud, rain, etc). You will also need new wheels to eliminate any rubbing issues. I would suggest Cragar Soft 8's as they're only 45 bucks a piece for a 15x8.

Lift: $500+ shipping
Tires: $875 shipped
Wheels $250 shipped.

^ Right there's your $2000 budget.

Last edited:

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
What would I do? Well, nothing very interesting or exciting. I would leave the truck as-is, spend the money on basic maintenance and repairs, and save the rest for my house down payment.

nutpantz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Find a whole explorer

Find a 91-94 explorer. Swap in the d35 and 4.0. Plenty of power, yet still economical.
Don't forget the springs,coils and rear axle swap for a poor mans 2" lift. If your interior is fugly swap anything else that fits (seats, steering wheel, dash)

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Come to think of it, I would do the interior and comfort stuff first instead of the swap. I spent a lot originally at the junkyard getting AC stuff and interior stuff that was cleaner than mine.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
If I had $2000 I would not put a D-28 under the front of my 92 Explorer.

AngryLepercon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
If I had 2k I would invest it in something physical.

Colt revolver
Gold
Silver
Coins
Etc

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
I have a nice 4.0, M5OD, and manual 1354, complete with everything needed to run it, and I can throw in a complete gen 2 dash with that harness too.

That would take up only half of your budget. Check my classifieds thread for more details.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

The Jester Race

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2006
Vehicle
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 2.5
Pffft I have almost all parts for my sas and I'm sitting at 650 in parts. If
He's building it for light wheeling he can do it for two grand easy. Not sure why everyone has to spend so much.

Also he said what would I do if
I had that much. It's exactly what
I'm doing now.
Most people who SAS wheel their shit, and if you wheel hard enough for an SAS to be beneficial you need to do it right, build it strong, or it ends up costing you more money later on. If you're doing an SAS just to be one of the cool kids, then you can cut corners and do it alot cheaper.

Pay once, cry once. Like I said, it's all the little shit, it adds up quick.

Lets see, brake lines $100, Gears that's $100, you need an install kit too, that's another $100, if you're gearing the front you probably need to gear the rear too, that's another $100 plus another $100 for another install kit. Carrier breaks, depending on your gear ratio, you're probably going to need new carriers too. That's $50 each. Gear oil, for your fancy new gears, $6 a quart, but you have to change it after about 50 miles on your new gears, so double that. Steering, $200 for tube and rod ends. If you need a drop pitman arm, that's another $50.

If you're going to put a new axle under the truck, may as well rebuild it. Ball joints, you need 4 of those at $40 a pop. Wheel bearings, inners and outers, Timken's are $50 a piece. Calipers, you need two of those, $50 each. Hubs, you're spending all this money on this axle, may as well put some good hubs on it. I mean, what's another $100, right?

An SAS seems kind of pointless if you're not going to install atleast one lock, that's $600-$200 depending on the locker. Or you could weld up the spiders, but that kind of kills the on road driveabliity.

With your new gears and lockers you're going to be snapping shafts left and right, may as well upgrade to some ubber pimpy chromoly shafts. That's $400-$600.

Shocks, decent shocks are $100 a corner, good ones are $200 a corner.

Tires, cheap ones off of Craigslist $400

-Jester

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
2 grand on a B2, lets see. here's what I did (don't know how much it costs me yet tho).

93 explorer donor-- $300
gears & install kits (G2 4.56's, master installs, both axles)-- $550
Aussie locker(front and rear)-- $400
Other for axle swaps (flex joints, lube locker, xj coils, etc)-- $150
Superrunner steering (used)-- $250
Bilstein 5150's (used)-- $140
Wheels (procomp 8089's 16x8, on sale!)-- $400
Tires (Dynapro at's used, 285/75/16's)-- $200
Winch (I WON IT!)-- FREE
Bumper (custom made)-- $200ish

just that stuff adds up to a grand total of $2590ish

that's not to mention all the little crap that'll nickle and dime you to death.. gaskets, plugs/wires, brakes, fluids, nuts/bolts, frustration, labor; so on.. so forth.

my prices don't even include the "in-between" stages of my build. the body lift , the RC 4" lift, the old tires.
Plus all my audio equipment I still use.

so yeah, 2 grand will disappear quick if you start doing axle work and motor swaps.

Jester is right(except I wanna know where he's getting gears for $100 a set).. it adds up, but do it right the first time. that's why I dropped the money on gears, steering, shocks and all now... even tho I bought a lot of used stuff I cam across.

Last edited:

The Jester Race

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2006
Vehicle
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 2.5
I was being real conservative on my estimates. But dealer pricing from Randy's R&P was a little less then $150 a set for my gears.

-Jester

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Yeah, I guess you're right. But i'd still invest the 2k into the project for either or both of those. I would spend it on the axle swap, and I might not finish, but I'd be a hell of a lot closer than I was before :)