•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Looking to buy a Bronco II...

underatednoob

Reaction score
Over the past couple weeks I've been looking to buy a Bronco II. I've seen and drove a couple in person, and was very close to buying one this weekend.

But just today I saw a new listing for a '88 Eddie Bauer that looked in excellent shape. After talking to the owner, I found out he's owned it since '91, which is a big plus over the other couple I've thought about buying. I had a good feeling that it was very very well taken care of.

It has 160k miles, and claims everything works well... The exterior and interior both look exceptional for a 20+year old vehicle.

Anyways, he's asking $3750 for it, and it is a ~4 hour drive for me to go pick up (200 miles). I'm thinking about making an offer for 3400 and committing to a long drive up there. I've always wanted this model, so I'm pretty excited about it, but didn't want my emotions to cloud good judgment. Is this a reasonable price, assuming everything he told me is true?

djdiesel89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2005and 1990
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
6.1and 2.9
i bought a 90 eddie bauer with 140k for 1000 bucks. little body damage on the rear fender from another car door it looks like but other than that its in great shape

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
i don't think i could pay $3750 for a stock b2.... period. idk what the going price is around you. but i should have picked up an 88 that was in almost perfect condition last summer-- the price was $2000.. talked him down to $1800 but, i had to spend the money elsewhere, it was something really important that came up.

$3750... idk man.

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
That is an awful lot. Its 23 years old. 2000 if it was in really good shape,and it was 100 percent ready togo

underatednoob

Reaction score
I'm living down in Georgia at the moment. It does seem like an awful lot, but it seems like everyone is asking $2500-3000 for anything that is in very good shape around here.

Maybe I just need to be more patient... I'll keep looking. Thanks for the advice.

Sultan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
It does seem high but after spending a year and a half looking for a good one I wish I would have gotten one that was more than I wanted to spend.in the end I gave up and got a Ranger. I still check Craigslist every day for a B2...

b2rich

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
I bought my 87 b2 in 2006. At that time it had 76000 miles on it and not a speck of wear on the interior, body didnt have a single ding and the motor was very clean. only problem was the valve cover gaskets were leaking a little. repair was paid for by the dealer i bought it from.
and it was a one owner vehicle

They were asking 3700 for it :shok: I offered 2500 and they countered with 2700. I bought it.

on a side note....
2 weeks later the B2 was acting really squirley. come to find out i was about to loose all my steering componets. :icon_surprised:
I contacted the dealer and they sent it to the shop and got a new tie rod. both ends. Pitman arm bushing and lower ball joints. paid for by the dealer. :icon_bounceblue:
(which is really rare)

djdiesel89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2005and 1990
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
6.1and 2.9
two weeks after i bought my b2 my rear axle went out. other than that im just replacing bushings as they go out or a gasket or two. pretty reasonable for a 20+ yr old vehicle.

redxlt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
I bought my 88 here in NC for less than 2000 with 81000 miles on it. It is in superb shape. So, if you dont mind traveling a bit I would look around. There are a lot of BIIs for sale in the Tri cities area of Tenn. Good deals on a few and worth looking at. Look on craigslist . Thats where I saw mine. IMHO 3400 is TOO MUCH.

fastpakr

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Lima
Good grief. If the prices are that astronomical, have you considered an Explorer Sport instead? Only slightly larger, but with dramatically better stock drivetrain components (4.0, Dana 35 front, 8.8 31 spline rear, etc). I only paid $2250 for my '94 in 2005.

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
i thought about that to.. if i buy something else for a trail rig or whatever, i think i've decieded to get a 2 door ex. b/c that's basically what i got now.. or will have after 8.8 swap.

moogvo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L Mustang engine
The thing about these vehicles is that they are NOT rare. If you are patient, you will find one for less than 1000. I got mine for $300.00 with a blown head gasket, non-working A/C and a crappy paint job. I have since seen them in running condition for as little as $700.00 with lots of options and all working good. You just have to be patient and scan CL every day in order to find one on the cheap.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
i don't think i could pay $3750 for a stock b2.... period. idk what the going price is around you. but i should have picked up an 88 that was in almost perfect condition last summer-- the price was $2000.. talked him down to $1800 but, i had to spend the money elsewhere, it was something really important that came up.

$3750... idk man.
i concur 100%, my 2000 explorer isnt even worth $3700. the dude is nuts if he thinks someone is gonna pay that. i'd offer him $1500 and see where you go from there. wouldnt pay more than $2000 for it.

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
I agree somewhat about the Explorer, however the Ex is quite a bit heavier, and has a lot more stuff underneath that hangs down lower (rear suspension, fuel tank, spare tire, etc.).

I think best deal would be to find a BII with a tired or blown engine, and a wrecked (but runs) Explorer. Transplant the Ex's drivetrain into the BII and watch that 4.0L come alive not having to push around such a heavy vehicle.

FWIW, I paid $1500 for mine back in '04. Had 140K on it at the time. Body was straight with virtually no rust to speak of (though that's pretty much the norm out here in So Cal :D ). A/C worked too, although I later discovered it had been half-assed and only lasted a couple months before the freon was gone (leaky compressor). It also had a malfunctioning electric-shift motor on the transfer case when I bought it (one of a few items I used to talk the guy down from $2500).

A day or two after I bought it:

jackson58

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I am selling a 1990 bronco II with 94,000 miles. The tranny is messed up it will go into reverse but not drive, im asking a 1000 i really need to get rid of it. please email me at mathews_solocam69@yahoo.com if interested

Beachbuggy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
For what it's worth, I just went throught the same thing. I'm in the Charlotte NC area and searched for 6 mo +/- for something nice and clean before buying mine for $2500. 1989, auto trans, spotless inside, 200k/mi, repaint on upper half. You either need to be "jonny on the spot" when someone posts a deal on CL or pay $2k-$3k for something nice in this market IMHO. Good luck.

Corrieannx3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Iv got a 1990 Eddie bower I'll sell

Got my 1190 bronco 2 Eddie bower Ed 150k nothing Rong with it just past va state inspection flat black new tires new rear shocks and rear body mounts trimmed fenders new valve cover gaskets has cruse control no power windows or door locks has doors off a different bronco that's why I drive it alot probley 2 or 3k miles a month interior is a dirty needs a good cleaning I'll take 2500 Obo have resipts for work and tires and was done in the past month tires and inspection was done less than a week ago text my cell at 540 958 6040 if interested or not so I know