•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

stretching the wheel base

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Duh!
not sure how i'd like a 5-6" extended perch. to me 3" is kinda pushing it, any farther seems like the perch will be too long and have too much leverage on it in the case of axlewrap might bend or break them

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Vehicle
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
the fuel tank will be in the way when the axle goes to full bump! however it also makes a difference how far back the axle is moved.

my wheelbase is 96in. i moved the axle back about 2in i think (correct me if i'm wrong) and so far i don't hit anything at full bump.

you can also drill (with a really sharp bit) your leaf to test your wheel base. but i would recommend then having a main leaf build with that center pin hole when your at your desired wheelbase.

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I too am contemplating a wheelbase stretch. I was shooting for moving the rear back a little over 6" but am not sure about the body work yet. And obviously the fuel tank issue.

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Vehicle
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
I too am contemplating a wheelbase stretch. I was shooting for moving the rear back a little over 6" but am not sure about the body work yet. And obviously the fuel tank issue.
even with my 2 in or whatever, i started hitting the stock wheel wells on the back corner. nothing sawsall can't handle tho

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Duh!
is it illegal to put a fuel cell in an suv?

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
i thought our b2's were known as "station wagon's"

but the question still remains.
station wagon??? NO I REFUSE! :icon_rofl:

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I dont think its illegal, but I couldnt say for sure. I am sure it depends on the state. However, I would fab something else up, I refuse to put it inside my rig and lose any cargo space. A friend of mine just built a buggy and built a custom fuel cell. The steel supply bent the major pieces for him and the bottom, front and rear is one piece of 1/4" with thinner sides and top. Fuel cell with a built in skid plate.
As for the body, I was thinking of cutting away some of the body, moving the axle back as far as I can and then getting some Ranger bedsides from the wrecking yard. That way I could keep the factory look of the sheet metal but move the entire fender back. Most people probably wouldnt even notice the stretch if they were not RBV folks.

mhughes165

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
lol they are classified as wagons, but then again so are aerostars lol, so when ur drivin ur b2 u might aswell be drivin a aerostar lol.....jkjk

it also depends how much lift he is looking for, if u go high enough and have a body lift u can raise the tank the 3" that the body lift would allow, and with a decent lift u wouldnt even have a dream of contacting the tank

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Duh!
don forget u will need a longer rear shaft...and no im not calling my b2 a wagon...thats just rediculous:icon_confused:

mhughes165

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
don forget u will need a longer rear shaft...and no im not calling my b2 a wagon...thats just rediculous:icon_confused:
lol.....too bad ur registration and insurance will say otherwise lol

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Vehicle
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
wagons can be on farms!

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Duh!
haha i checked my registration it sait m/p(guess multi-purpose) farm equipment

mhughes165

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
haha i checked my registration it sait m/p(guess multi-purpose) farm equipment
thats only because it probably shouldnt be registered that way LOL....cause we ALL know u drove that thing WAYYYYYYY further then u can in any state with farmer tags on it lol

BONES

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Here fuel cells aren't legal inside the passenger compartment. You would need to build a sealed compartment and vent it outside the vehicle for it to be legal inside the cab.

I was thinking about this too, I figured I would raise the tank and the rear cargo floor line a few inches. Was thinking having the bottom of the tank a couple inches above the bottom of the rear frame. I haven't actually measured if the tank can fit up higher without cutting into some of the body supports yet tho. I bet a similarly sized fuel cell could fit up between the bottom of the body and sit above the bottom of the frame....maybe?

The 2 cross members that the top of the tank sits against would need to be moved or redone too. Then basically tub the rear wheel wells rearward.

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
my registration says SUV

The Jester Race

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2006
Vehicle
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 2.5
You could stick a side mounted tank from a ranger in it. You should have the room if you get the axle back 6". Thats my plan if I stretch the rear on mine. You can always move the front forward too, theres nothing in the way up front. If you change from leafs to a four link setup you can move the axle back 30", without modifying the frame, more if you wanted to extend the frame out.

Mine. Front stretched 6".

-Jester

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Mine is stretched 3" rear (the front is also pushed 1" forward)

I did it by simply moving the leaf hangers back on the frame. Fenders are cut more at the rear than the front to match up with it

old pic before putting the flares on: