•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

The Deuce

kris97ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 4.2 litre
haha as i started reading this i was gonna say you better have a cup holder in those doors. but you beat me to it cool
________
WASHINGTON DISPENSARIES

Last edited:

BONES

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Yeah I wasn't sure if I should french it into the top plate or mold it off the inside of the door, top plate won out, tho I may end up getting my "drink" muddy ifn' I decide to spin the tires, lol. Maybe I should make a drink holder umbrella/splash guard, haha.

out cast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
i love the tire carrier, really good design with our vehicles , BII and Explorer, having hatches, easy to get down, and easy to swing away to open hatch.

Great Job!

BONES

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Thanks! :D

Yeah, I think so too. And I wanted a little more from my tire carrier build as well, you don't see too many swing out/drop down combo tire racks out there.

I still want to make a shovel, axe and High Lift mounts on the carrier too.

I would like to pick up a small hand winch or something to do the lifting, at least that was my idea anyways. I had initially thought of picking up a small atv electric winch like a 1500-2000lbs one to do the lifting, but that just seems like over kill. Not to mention that mounting a hand crank would be far easier and less complicated than mounting and wiring a small winch on the rack. Who knows, for the amount of times I will need to lower and raise the drop bar for flats I may not even go any further than I have for it.

BONES

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Well here's the 95% finished piece. I have a small piece to add for the upper section to close it in beside the door lock and I have to cut some aluminium checker plate for an inner panel but other than that, she's almost done. Keep in mind the pics are with the door loosely bolted to the stock BII hinges. Oh I need to get rid of the "RANGER" decal and pin stripe too, it ain't no stinkin Ranger!! lol

When I sit in the drivers seat and lean out the door with my but still planted in the seat, I get a way better look at what's coming up in front of the drivers tire, if I lean a little further I can see under the front diff from behind the front tire, radius arm and all this with my ass still planted firmly in the seat. A quick look rearward from this view and I can see under the drivers side rear diff as well as what I am about to back over with the drivers rear tire.

These half doors ROCK!!!!! I love em already and I haven't even tried them while the Bronco's moving!!!!!! #rockon

Rearward angle view, shows off my sexy blue dash, ha ha, the door provides a wicked better view from inside, the top plate is right below my elbow for a perfect arm rest height. Actually when I decided on a cut line, the factory arm rest was my choice, this way the door is a perfect arm rest, I may even add some foam-pad and vinyl to the top plate just so I'm not leaning on hard steel. #popcorn

Front angle view, she looks sexy!! Turns out my door cut line matches up with my fender cut lines, fluke tho, wasn't planed at all, but really works and blends well I think.

Opened up easily, the Explorer latch and handle work like a charm, easily accessible from outside the door and the door pops open without pulling on it too. I tightened up 2 of the 4 door hinge bolts and the door swing shut perfectly, no banging clunking or rattling, she shuts with a clean click fully shut, just like the stock doors. The door needs some tweaking as the window portion or upper frame is bent outwards from the roof seal, has about a 1" gap when closed. So I'll need to bend it back inline a bit for a cleaner look if anything.

kris97ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 4.2 litre
you just have to fab up a tiny umbrealla for ur cupholder to keep the mud out and ur done! haha
________
Cronica

Last edited:

BONES

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Haha, yeah basically hey!!

Got some good news yesterday, buddy of mine found me the clutch line I need so I can get this back together and try out them doors on the trail.....Bad news is the fuzz are doing the spring time road checks like crazy, handing out inspections left right and center and doing their best to ruin everyone's life in the process.

I know I have to be cautious if I take off for a ride in her. Last thing I need is an inspection notice. I mean to say I think she would pass an inspection but not sure I really want to find out for sure yet. lol

She would need some parts to pass for sure tho, my park brake cables have been torn off, she has no swap bars installed. I guess I need to unplug the RABS light in the dash because the 9" rear diff has no provisions for the sensor plug to go on the diff so the light stays on and I need to add a set of mud flaps and then pull off the suicide knob just to pass an inspection, oh and my windshield has a couple small cracks that I'm sure they would have me replace before passing it. I'm not entirely sure if they would pass my home built front suspension too or if I should make up some BoneBuilt decals and tell them it's a kit, lol. ;)

Hmmm this list actually isn't as big as I thought it would be :D.

Nice part is I just threw all new parts at it last year so it should all be within spec as far as steering, brakes and suspension go anyways. Tires are almost brand new and everything works aside from what I listed above.

Andres629

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Your radius arms look close enough to those ones you based them off of, you *could* just slap on a sticker of that company (while keeping it hush hush, of course) and say it's a kit. I got an inspection notice last year for having my tires stickin' out past the fenders, so I just got my buddy who works at Western Star to throw a sticker on there for me. Ha!

I mean... I got it inspected... ;brownbag;:secret:

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
holy ****-nugget batman, that is a sweet BII, how did i miss this thread?

BONES

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Yeah I may just do the "I got it inspected honist officer" thing too, we'll see if and when I have to.

Thanks buddy!!

BONES

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Well never did get around to test fitting the clutch line, time and my worry of rain prevented that journey, lol, so I started on the next mod. My goal of loosing weight is on my mind now and I figured what better way than to toss the stock 50lbs plane Jane hardly supportive seats for the set of racing seats I have had sitting not being used.

In about a half hour I had one stock seat out and one racing bucket almost installed onto the stock seat sliders, adapted in there with a few pieces of 1/8"x1"x1" angle iron cut and drilled to fit the bill.

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/1994ish
Vehicle
Ford
Bones, everything is looking bad ass. I am actually doing the same build on my 94 Ranger. I'm doing a couple things different, but overall we are pretty close. Same axles, same motors, radius arms, and leafs out back. I am definitely keeping subscribed to this thread and btw... You might just have a ORTOTM nomination for May:derisive:

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
those seats look so uncomfortable :p

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/1994ish
Vehicle
Ford
I thought the exact same thing for April, but I was too late. =[
Zman hasn't posted the Nomination thread for May yet, just as long as he makes it up there

BONES

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Thanks for the kind words guys!!:headbang::icon_cheers:

those seats look so uncomfortable :p
Haha, they do 'LOOK' uncomfortable, I have to agree, but amazingly they are not, they're actually surprisingly comfortable for what they are. Not much to them and very inexpensive new. Under 100 for 1 seat with cover. I did add a chunk of 1" thick foam to the seat bottom tho. These things hug me quite nicely!

I have had them for probably 10 years or more and swapped them into several different rigs in that time and my only gripe is that they don't recline or fold forward, other than that I think they are a great seat for my needs and pocket book.:icon_thumby: Oh and they take a little more effort to climb into than the stock seats too, but any racing seat would, that is in the design of them, you can't just slide your ass in like a stocker seat, but meh, it's all good.

The stock Explorer seats are at least as comfortable or even maybe not as... but I have found the Explorers to be tiring trying to keep myself from sliding around on the seat while wheeling. These hold my ass right where it needs to be.:D

I'd love to get a set of Mastercraft reclining seats but they are out of my price range, maybe one day, but there are far more important things I need to buy for this project first.

I have been really thinking hard on the tranny swap, might just use my tax return to buy what I need, we'll see what the wife has to say about that tho, lol.

If all goes well I should have her up a wheeling again buy the end of the week. Can't wait to get out again.

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/1994ish
Vehicle
Ford
I wish i could say that... Im hoping to get mine done by June. Right in time for Big Bear wheeling:headbang:

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
i lucked out with my Corbeau's. got both for $250.

BONES

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L

BONES

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Well, I got more shit done on the Bronco lately.

Finally did the ECM relocation I have been trying to complete for a while now. Actually went a lot easier than I expected it to.

First off I popped out the glove box and hung it down so I could get a better view of the new ECM location directly behind the glove box up against the the outside of the heater box.

Here it is folded down and uncut.

Not the best comparo shot but here it is after the cut. I cut out approx. 2 inches of glove box with this mod. I ran a cut around the back of the glove box and then trimmed it so I could slide the back half back into the front half making it shorter so the ECM can fit behind it. Then drilled and riveted it back together. Still fully functional too, only has a little less room now.

Here's the ECM mounted in it's new location. I was even able to use the factory mounting piece to secure it to the side of the heater box behind the glovey.

Here's an inside the glove box shot, as you can see it still functions as storage space and now allows room behind it for the ECM.

Here's looking up at the new ECM location from under the dash.

Also pulled the rear drums off to re-seal the axles, install the new wheel lug studs and clean up the back brakes. So I insert the key for the cheapo locking lug nuts I have on there and the drivers side just rounds off whats left of the key pattern inside the lock with very little effort....Damn, I knew it was coming as these locking lugs suck ass to say the least. You know the kind with the key that slides into a cut out pattern on the end of the lug nut. CHEAP JUNK IMO.

Then I grabbed my largest pair of vice grips to give that a try and no go whats so ever.....FAIL.

So then I start thinking grinder. Thought about trying to cut the lug off without damaging the wheel....yeah right hey, then I thought about cutting a big slot in the end of the lug nut and using my tire iron hub cap flat blade on it when it came to me..... weld another lug nut to the top of the locking lug nut.

So out came the Lincoln.

Weld spare lug nut on top of fubard locking lug nut.

Viola!! Spun right off without issue.

Installed all 10 new lugs in the back axles, cleaned up the brakes which didn't get any oil on them btw...Lucky. Turned out the diff vent hose/breather was plugged so it made the axle seals leak to allow air in and out of the diff during heat expansion, unplugged it raised it above the bottom of the frame and the axle seals looked good to go. While I was under there I rebuilt the rear drive shaft with all new ujoints and a CV rebuild kit, greased the hell out of the slip yoke as well.

On our last wheeling run, Baldy, I ran one half door on the drivers side and left the passenger side with the full door. Turns out the passenger side elec window motor had kicked the bucket so the window would not move at all. After messing around trouble shooting the problem and live wiring the motor, I came to the conclusion the motor is fried. Just so happens the half doors mechanical window parts will fit in place of the elec window parts. Figuring this will be a lot easier to swap doors when ever I feel like it. Unfortunately the mechanisms for both elec and manual are all riveted in. Sucky, so after pulling the door panels off and grinding rivits and swapping parts, I now have a manual window on the passenger side door.

This is what both doors looked like from the inside. Drivers door pictured.

This is how the passenger door looks now, I need to make up a small filler panel to go around the window crank still, but you get the idea.

Here's all the stuff I pulled out, elec window motor, elec window mechanical components and wire harness that went into the door for the power window/power lock/elec mirror/speaker/courtesy light. My power door locks have been seized for years, there's no spot for door speakers anyways and the elec mirrors didn't swap over from the Explorer and there courtesy light was just illuminating the inside of the door when the doors where open. lol. So really I didn't need any of it in the door at this point anyways, so out it all came. What a chore to feed that harness back out of the door and all the mechanicals only fit out in one position that I had to figure out on my own, was pretty frustrating at one point haha.

Since the drivers door elec window still works, I cut the wires at the door jam and just wired it in to a trailer plug on each side of the wiring at the door jam. Now I can just unplug the wires and swap the half doors on easy as pie.

Also did a gauge install over the last few weeks as well. Decided that the factory elec tcase controls on the dash that aren't used in my application would be a great spot for a couple gauges to reside.

Factory 91 Explorer elec tcase controls, my tcase is a manual tcase and these controls aren't used.

Popped the tcase controls out of the dash mount.

Cut out and bent up a small piece of sheet metal to mount the gauges into.

Cut and shaped to fit where the tcase controls originated.

Threw some satin black on it.

Drilled both the factory bezel and the gauge mount for rivets to hold the gauge pod in the hole.

Riveted in place and ready for gauges.

Gauges installed in bezel, don't mind the actual gauges, I'm using water and oil in this set-up but was easier to use the amp and oil for mock ups.

Actually installed in the dash with the proper gauge combo I need.

I also started on welding up some broken metal on the rear body of the Bronco as well. With the old crusty body mounts that failed before I replaced them, the body took the brunt of the abusive suspension flexing. The body mounts and bushings were shot and allowing the frame to flex with the suspension and in turn worked the body untill it cracked at the bottom corners of the back door/hatch. Those of you who watched me struggle with closing the back door/hatch will attest to how poorly it works. Well I started on fixing that problem too.

This is the drivers side all welded up, just need to get the passenger side patched up and welded back together and the rear door may actually work properly again.

While the drivers side had just cracked in several directions and places, the passenger side actually had rust issues as well as cracking. I'll need to make some patch panels for this side.