•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

The Deuce

BONES

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Not a bad idear, never thought of makeing a line at that angle for a color change or a wrap for that matter. Good thinking out of the box man!

Andres629

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Well, I do what I can! And like I say, it's your truck. any way you decide to do it, I'm sure it'll look sweet. And if anyone says otherwise... RUN 'EM OVER. :headbang:

BONES

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
LOL! That's right!

BONES

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Had a blast out wheeling on Sunday.

Andres629

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
I know that truck! The used-to-be F-250. Snowracer over on BC4x4, I love that truck so much!

BONES

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Yes you are correct, he lives in town here, wicked truggy for sure, 35 spline 1tons, doubler, diesel, 39.5 Boggers, bead locks, OBA, hydro assist, what more could a guy ask for lol. He's a Four Wheeler's Top Truck Challenge hopeful this year, needs as many votes as possible to get picked as one of the top 10 rigs. So get all your buddies to go grab a few mags and send in your votes, lol. wink wink, nudge nudge, ha ha.

Andres629

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Yeah, I already sent in my vote! He's got it up on BC 4x4 as well, and I know a lot of those guys are polling for him too. Not too often you see the 7.3 deez left in a wheeling rig, so awesome for sure!

BONES

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Right on man!! That's awesome, I hope he gets in TTC, would be wicked to see a guy I know enter and compete in that one.

I guess he finds out the first week of April if he made the cut or not, keep our fingers crossed for him!!

BONES

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Finally got my rear bumper and tire carrier mostly finished. lol.

Figure I'm going to have to mount some sort of back-up lights to the bumper as well, because the carrier will cover the passenger side back-up light once it's done.

6 lug d44 wheel bearing hub.

Mocked up 2x2 bumper.

Trimmed down wheel bearing hub, mocked on bumper.

Here I have the tube for the main part of the bumper tacked in place along with the support tubes on each side also tacked in place, and the small side plates that will have holes drilled in them to bolt the spindle to, are also tacked in place.

Here's the outer most support tubes tacked in place, I would like to add another 2 support tubes in the center area angling outwards, just to give the side plates (that hold all this to the frame) some more strength.

Here's the small spindle support plates, need the holes marked and drilled still, it's tacked in place. I will also add some gussets to these plates for added rigidity. The tube that protrudes to the right will be miter cut in several places to make a curved bent corner, this will end up being on both sides of the new bumper to help protect the side rear corners of the body.

Got the main uprights cut and tacked in place, just need to weld them on.

Spent a good hour grinding the wheel bearing hub clean and smooth. Anyone who says you should miter cut square tubing to make a corner should be shot and pissed on, IMO, it took me the better part of a couple hours just to do one piece with a hand grinder and cut off disks, cutting 3 sides of 1/4 wall 2x2 was not fun at all. I cut forever, then bent it and it was only a 45 degree bend, I was like FAWK, 23 more cuts to go!!! 3 zip cut disks later and lots of sparks I finally made the bend, one more to go, and I'll never do that again with out a cut-off saw, that sucked the big harry ballzz. Turned out nice tho, looks good.

At this point I had everything tacked in place and ready for final welding, tho before that happened I needed to take the hub apart, clean it and repack it, then position it so it locks at just about closed, like really close to closed, lol. Then weld the cut off stub shaft appropriately, drill 6 holes for the spindle and THEN final weld everything.

Once there, I started on the drop down portion of the carrier, which is the actual piece that will hold the tire on eventually, the carrier pictured, is only there to hold the tire in the upright position with a couple heims and a pin (more on that later), the main carrier structure pictured I'm going to use to hold the High Lift, shovel and axe. These attachment pieces will be added on after I get the drop down pieces made and attached and a tire actually placed in there, that way I will be able to check on clearances and such to make sure it all works in harmony.

Here I had just started the drop down portion of the carrier. Got one bar mocked up to check for clearances and length.

Drilled all the holes for the hub to bolt down to, also got the stub shaft tacked in place, locks just before it's fully closed and I can actually flex it that extra inch to close it too. I also figure out (stolen idea from a buddies tire carrier) what I am going to use to hold the carrier closed securely.

Also cut and shaped the 1/2" thick cutting board plastic piece for the carrier to sit on when closed.

Here's that piece/idea I stole from Buddies carrier, this piece holds his carrier closed and had handled all kinds of abuse without fail. I thought I would give it a go too.

Will be mounted roughly where it is in this pic.

Still needed clean up, welding, tweaking, cross supports for the wheel hub to mount to and of coarse paint.

As you can see from the blue bar, the carrier will not be the first thing to hit the ground in most circumstances.

Different pic angle.

Here it is dropped all the way down for tire removal, it's very close to the ground so I don't have to lift the spare at all really to take it off or put it on the carrier. I want to add a hand winch to the drop down part to make lifting and lowering the carrier easier.

Basically unbolt and unlock the spare from the A frame, lower the drop bar down, slide the spare off, put it on the axle, roll the flat back over to the drop bar and flop it over onto the drop bar and hoist it up to lock it onto the rest of the carrier. Pretty much works like advertised lol.

Drilled and tapped some holes to mount the resting pad for the carrier when it's closed.

Welded together a pin for locking it in the closed position, so far after one trip on it, it has held in there.

Here it is so far, after a buddy with a tube bender offered to bend up some tube for the drop down portion as well as dimple die some plate for strength, I stopped production on that portion of the carrier, lol. My drop down piece is made from 3 pieces of bent and welded tube and he offered to make it from one continuous piece of tube instead.

I need to add some support to the bumper where the spindle mounts as the 2x2x1/4" wall square tube bumper actually flexes slightly with the weight of the carrier, tire and such and allows the carrier to wiggle a little.

I'll post pics when I add the supports to the bumper. Then I can continue to make shovel, axe and High-Lift mounts on the A frame portion of the carrier. Stay tuned.

Here she is as of Sunday at the end of our last trip.

Last edited by a moderator:

BONES

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Picked up a set of free doors and a hood on the weekend, doors are the no vent window type and I think I'm going to make some half doors out of them, they are in worse shape than my doors rust wise but not a whole lot and are missing the mirrors and one door panel so what better way to make use of them. :D

Stay tuned, should have em cut down today at least...I will post pics in a few hours.

BONES

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Thanks man!!

Well since I'm hung up on needing that clutch line still, I figured what better time to start on the half doors I always wanted for the Bronco.

So I got started on them anyways.

Here's the pile O parts, 2 doors and 1 hood all in half decent shape.

First door on the chopping block. Here you can see my drawn line of the cut to come.

First cut done, no turning back now!!

Instead of waisting time properly removing all the guts from the door, I cut the door to remove the guts, lol, was way easier than grinding rivets and undoing bolts.

Here's the after math.

Door prepped and ready for welding in the filler panel I also cut and shown in pic, from some left over satin coat sheet metal I picked up back when I radius-ed the rear fenders.

Inside shot of same door. I still need to rig up a door handle and locate the striker latch mechanism for the door to latch closed as this door was missing it all together.

More to come as I get this welded up and I rig up a door handle to open it and maybe even a custom touch or 2 I picked up watching guys on here and TRS build half doors.

Andres629

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Hmm, never posted up on it, but that bumper and spare carrier look awesome! And those doors will be sweet on the Deuce. Looking good, man!

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
very nice. shes lookin good

BONES

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Thanks guys!!

Should get more done on the doors today, looks like it's going to be a nice day outside!!

BONES

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
More progress, got a little further anyways.

Finished the filler top plate welded in fully and the drink holder Frenched in. Started on the door handle and latching mechanism, turns out the Explorer doors I kept have the exact pieces I need and the latch is a bolt across swap. Not sure if I'll make it into a cable to run from handle to latch or actually rig up the link bars somehow.

Pix please!!!

Found that my snorkel tubing is the perfect size, so I chopped off a piece from the excess I have.

Cut and bent 4 tabs from the bottom to hold the drink in there as well as make it really easy to hose out when the need arises.

Drilled with my hole saw the perfect hole diam. for the newly created drink holder.

Viola, one drink holder, all that's left for this door is making the door handle mount and slap the latching mech on there.....Then test fit the doors!!! #rockon #rockon

How does it look so far??

slammer67

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ranger
nice doors
so your tire carrier is a swing out AND a flip down?
Awesome.

remington115

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.5l
freaking awsome build

BONES

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
nice doors
so your tire carrier is a swing out AND a flip down?
Awesome.
Yeah swing out and flip down, not quite done yet but still functional never the less.

Thanks for the kinds words guys!:icon_thumby: