•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

What's this??

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
You may not have enough pipe in front of the MAF for laminar flow so the MAF can get a good reading on the airflow.:)shady

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
You may not have enough pipe in front of the MAF for laminar flow so the MAF can get a good reading on the airflow.:)shady

:icon_confused:

Don't know what would make you think that? it's no different than any other cold air kit out there, or a stock setup for that matter. The adapter I made for the filter is large enough and is in the right spot for the sampling hole. It's getting direct/unobstructed flow to it.

RacinNdrummin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
:icon_confused:

Don't know what would make you think that? it's no different than any other cold air kit out there, or a stock setup for that matter. The adapter I made for the filter is large enough and is in the right spot for the sampling hole. It's getting direct/unobstructed flow to it.
The filter creates turbulence causing an incorrect reading when you have it that close to the filter, probably something you dont want on a boosted engine. Put a bit of pipe inbetween the filter and sensor and you should be fine.

Davis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I have a blow thru MAF between the IC and TB and had horrible problems with turbulence and airflow dodging the sensor at certain airflow-rates/rpm. I had to put a 2" long piece of aluminum honeycomb in front of the sensor to straighten the flow.

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Airflow across the MAF must straight and even(laminar). You can buy flow straighteners such as the one in the pix. And as stated, you certainly do not want any problems in this area, as detonation and pre-ignition are not your friend, especially with stock internals.

If it were my truck, I would re-route the intake anyway. Being the intake is next to the hot ass turbo(these things get glowing red hot when under heavy use), the incoming air is going to be heated, also something one doesn't want. The blower heats the air enough, (sometime too much), by itself just from the pressure.

But, it is not my truck, and maybe your setup will work fine as it is.:)shady

Attachments

Last edited:

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
If you look at the stock MAFS you will see it already has a screen in it. Second of all the filter has a 6 sided baffle in the center to straighten flow also. The adapter I made in a manner that the sampler hole had a straight shot of getting air flow. So the 3" pipe is not centered on the MAFS throat. Since the max opening on the MAFS is about 2.5" I had 1/2" of play to move the intake tube.

Now as for heat the turbine housing is not going to get to the point of glowing red in this application. It will not be run at 10 000 RPM under load for 4 Hours straight.

If you look close you will see that there is a heat shield I'm making that will separate the turbo from the intake filter.

I don't understand some people. They think that because your installing a turbo that your going to be running 30 psi and pushing the engine to it's full potential and have all the goodies that a fast and the furious car would have.

I'm not posting this to get help or criticism. I'm posting this to help other gather ideas for doing a similar setup. There are a bunch of turbo guys I'm friends with that have helped me with some advise. So thanks for trying to help.

Davis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
If you look at the stock MAFS you will see it already has a screen in it. Second of all the filter has a 6 sided baffle in the center to straighten flow also. The adapter I made in a manner that the sampler hole had a straight shot of getting air flow. So the 3" pipe is not centered on the MAFS throat. Since the max opening on the MAFS is about 2.5" I had 1/2" of play to move the intake tube.

Now as for heat the turbine housing is not going to get to the point of glowing red in this application. It will not be run at 10 000 RPM under load for 4 Hours straight.

If you look close you will see that there is a heat shield I'm making that will separate the turbo from the intake filter.

I don't understand some people. They think that because your installing a turbo that your going to be running 30 psi and pushing the engine to it's full potential and have all the goodies that a fast and the furious car would have.

I'm not posting this to get help or criticism. I'm posting this to help other gather ideas for doing a similar setup. There are a bunch of turbo guys I'm friends with that have helped me with some advise. So thanks for trying to help.

You don't need 4 hours of WOT and a turbo to get glowing headers. I saw it on the dyno just two weeks ago when we were running a BMW bike motor at WOT for about 30 seconds. No turbo.
I also saw it on my ranger after a WOT blast when I had the stock turbo manifold and ihi turbo on it.

You may not care about any of this, and I can see that you are an excellent fabricator, but the fact remains, it WILL get hot and decrease power and increase tendency to detonate.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
You don't need 4 hours of WOT and a turbo to get glowing headers. I saw it on the dyno just two weeks ago when we were running a BMW bike motor at WOT for about 30 seconds. No turbo.
I also saw it on my ranger after a WOT blast when I had the stock turbo manifold and ihi turbo on it.

You may not care about any of this, and I can see that you are an excellent fabricator, but the fact remains, it WILL get hot and decrease power and increase tendency to detonate.
My heat shield I built has a heat reflective mylar coating on the one side. If it melts off no big deal I'll find something else to replace it with. There is a 3" air gap around the turbo and heat shield.

The added fuel system I am running is going to mist fuel right before the TB. this is going to be more than enough to cool the intake charge sufficiently.

When guys talk about detonation, I think of the engine going lean and getting knock. Not with having air that is 10° warmer, than ambient.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
your doing an excellent job and i wish i had half the fabrication skills/tooling u have, i indeed am looking to do a turbo project on a 3.3 in the future and i like the way your setup looks. my turbo will be mounted in a similar location and seeing setups installed helps my visual of what i want to do, thanks for your posts so far and keep up the good work.

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Those of us posting and commenting are doing so for constructive purposes, not to be critical. Most of the comments come from people with turbo experience, and if we can help avoid a conflict with your installation, it is a plus for you. Whether you take the advice or not is up to you, but it is there for you if you want it. But, self education can sometimes be expensive as hell.:)shady

fastpakr

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Lima
Looking good. Good luck tonight!

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
looks great get it started. Do you have a wideband to monitor the AFRs?

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Looking good. Good luck tonight!
I still have a bit to do. I was hopping to work on it all day but that got canned right away with a power outage. I've got my fingers crossed. Only thing that could slow things down is that my batteries are dead.

looks great get it started. Do you have a wideband to monitor the AFRs?
My brother inlaw has one that hass a sampler pipe. It will be used to tune the extra injectors. I've got the wastegate wide open right now and plan to keep it like that for the first startup. I'll start adding boost when I start tuneing it. We are in the middle of a blizzard right now and i'm not going to be tuning when it's like that outside.

99RangerBoss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
hey copykat do you live in winnipeg by chance?