•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

When is it time to call it quits?

wild horse

Forum Moderator
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Thanks wildBill ! Well at this point my B2 is way past the stock stage with the amount of lift it has and the v-8 and all , And I'm building it as a muddbogger or mud truck and the guy said he would sell me the lockers and diff for $400 so I'm thinking about it , but I hear what you are saying about just leaving it stock but thats all it's really worth now because of how beat it is but thats why I'm looking for a stock one to just drive around but around here they are going for alot of money that I cant afford so We"ll see what happens and keep going on yours and dont give up on it as it will all come togeather soon !

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Thanks wildBill ! Well at this point my B2 is way past the stock stage with the amount of lift it has and the v-8 and all , And I'm building it as a muddbogger or mud truck and the guy said he would sell me the lockers and diff for $400 so I'm thinking about it , but I hear what you are saying about just leaving it stock but thats all it's really worth now because of how beat it is but thats why I'm looking for a stock one to just drive around but around here they are going for alot of money that I cant afford so We"ll see what happens and keep going on yours and dont give up on it as it will all come togeather soon !
Do you drive your B2 on the road or is it a 100% trail rig? If you don't drive it on the road the lockers would be ok, but if you drive it on the road you really wouldn't like them it makes driving in bad weather extremely unpredictable at times. I drove a military K-5 Blazer one winter and the Detroit lockers made ice/snow driving kind of dangerous at times due to when they locked they would cause you to go into a slide really easily.

I wouldn't mind having a dedicated offroad toy but my wallet keeps tell me hell no LOL.

Mine just needs a major engine oil leak issue fixed, not sure if its the rear main or just from the back of the oil pan, hard to find it in this tight mess of junk they crammed into this small space. I'm going to slowly work on it, right now it just kind of upsets me looking at it knowing that it needs a lot of body work and no way I can afford to have it done, and I have no clue how to do any of it :sad:. The interior can wait I haven't really decided on how I want it, I really don't want carpet in it but don't want the bear metal either. The headliner I have an idea what I want to do there, but don't want to tackle any interior stuff until I get the rust problems fixed. I got it running pretty good and plan on putting a manual choke on it here in the near future as the electric choke crap I've never cared for and has never worked right on either my 84 ranger or this 84 B2.

Post some pics of your B2 as you go.

wild horse

Forum Moderator
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Well when I got mine I drove it on and off road , But now that it's as big as it is I cant because the cops will harass me . But I will probly drive it on the road once in a great blue moon so it will be a trailer queen from now on and with the gas prices and the fact that it gets lets less then 5 m.p.g I just can't see driving it on the roads and I'm shure nobody around here would inshure it . And I'm glad to hear that your rig is running better and as far as body work goes I can't help you there as I dont have any experince eather and pannels are very expensive to say the least.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
If you don't have any plans on driving it on road, other than an extremely rare occasion I wouldn't hesitate putting lockers in it then. My fear with people doing so is they'll put the lockers in and then winter hits and they end up in a wreck due to the unpredictable results of them locking up sometimes. These Bronco 2's and even the older 80's rangers are getting harder to find, I just wish I had someone around where I live that knows about body work that would be willing to teach me how and what to do. My B2 runs, just won't stay running when the engine is cold because it doesn't have a choke right now, but it does run a lot better, I'm trying to pinpoint a rattling or knocking noise under acceleration and have been told its carbon build up causing it, so I guess my next action is going to be figuring out how to get rid of that LOL.

So back to the original question, when is it time to call it quits: Answer, on a classic vehicle NEVER!!!!!!!

wild horse

Forum Moderator
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Amen to that my friend ! And you are right and I'm keeping it and will just take my time on it till it's done. And as far as body work goes - my brother has a friend that lives in meridan and if he does body work and your interested I'll see about you two getting togeather to work on it so just let me know ? And as far as the 2.8 parts go that I have - you can have them for free and all I would need is an address to send them to so let me know on that too if your interested? L8ter Bud !

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Amen to that my friend ! And you are right and I'm keeping it and will just take my time on it till it's done. And as far as body work goes - my brother has a friend that lives in meridan and if he does body work and your interested I'll see about you two getting togeather to work on it so just let me know ? And as far as the 2.8 parts go that I have - you can have them for free and all I would need is an address to send them to so let me know on that too if your interested? L8ter Bud !
My problem is lack of money, lack of tools, and I live in Emmett and can't afford to leave town so probably wouldn't work but I appreciate the offer.

Parts would be nice LOL, but same issue there lack of funds for shipping. Having a hard time right now not knowing how my hours at work go week to week so I can't plan a head for anything. :annoyed: Plus I have 1 day off a week and unfortunately its Sunday so everything I need is always closed, or closes before I could get there grrr... LOL. Some day I'll figure things out and be able to do this restore at least somewhat, even if I have to paint the whole thing primer gray LOL.

MastuhWaffles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
My credo
I need more sleep.
Never give up, never surrender!

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Not exactly giving up but may just have to sell my Bronco 2 just for the fact that I'm not able to get the stuff done that it needs to have done to it. The only reason I was able to have the head gaskets done was because of a kid in the high school auto shop, and I already had the gaskets.

MastuhWaffles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
My credo
I need more sleep.
Not exactly giving up but may just have to sell my Bronco 2 just for the fact that I'm not able to get the stuff done that it needs to have done to it. The only reason I was able to have the head gaskets done was because of a kid in the high school auto shop, and I already had the gaskets.
Lol I had to say it, throw in some inspiration, I understand when you can't get stuff done, way it was trying to bring back my 88 F-150, if you can't sell it as a whole, you should try and part it out at the least.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Lol I had to say it, throw in some inspiration, I understand when you can't get stuff done, way it was trying to bring back my 88 F-150, if you can't sell it as a whole, you should try and part it out at the least.
Problem with parting stuff out is I don't have the equipment to do so. I have basic hand tools that's it. Anything that I need done has to be done at a shop due to my limited tools, and unless the weather is nice and sunny then working on something in the rain and snow doesn't work out well. It runs and drives just looks like crap and leaks oil all over because of the rear main seal. A shop quoted me $800 just to do the rear main seal, that's complete BS since they have all the nice equipment and all the tools.

It sucks I want to keep it, but at the same time it bothers me looking at it knowing what it needs and not being able to fix it. I've put quite a bit of time and money into it though to let it go now. How bad would it be to park it and let it set for several years given its already rusted pretty good on the passenger side.

Last edited:

MastuhWaffles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
My credo
I need more sleep.
Problem with parting stuff out is I don't have the equipment to do so. I have basic hand tools that's it. Anything that I need done has to be done at a shop due to my limited tools, and unless the weather is nice and sunny then working on something in the rain and snow doesn't work out well. It runs and drives just looks like crap and leaks oil all over because of the rear main seal. A shop quoted me $800 just to do the rear main seal, that's complete BS since they have all the nice equipment and all the tools.

It sucks I want to keep it, but at the same time it bothers me looking at it knowing what it needs and not being able to fix it. I've put quite a bit of time and money into it though to let it go now. How bad would it be to park it and let it set for several years given its already rusted pretty good on the passenger side.
Letting is sit is the worst possible thing to do, people let their cars sit and rot away when maybe someone else would love to have it... Well, I guess you can try and sell it, people out there that don't care about looks, they just want it to get to point a and b. And would take the time to fix it up and get it running well at the least. Then again, you can just rip it apart and make the most epic off road vehicle ever. Like I would love to make it awesome, I have all the tools, space and equipment you could ever imagine, but the main enemy is time, I'm already working on 2 classic cars and despite there simplicity they take up a lot of my time, and are a lot of work.

Last edited:

wild horse

Forum Moderator
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
I'm sorry to hear your having such a hard time with your rig wildbill - If I had a vehical I would come and help you work on it as I have alot of tools and time lol :) , But I'm not that luck in life and it took me all day today just to get the drivers side radius arm bracket off lol! But one of the other members is supposed to come over this weekend to help work on it and whatnot so we will see how things go? And as far as the parts go that I have I will ship them to you at my cost so it would not cost you anything , And I just beleave in giving foward to others and thats why I give stuff away on here for free - it's just who I am. Well ttyl bro !

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I'm kind of at a loss right now due to I only have one day off a week from work, so I am afraid to tear into anything as I don't want to start doing something and forget what step came next when I left off. I need to change out the rear main seal, as its losing a lot of oil back there every day about a half a quart a day just around town. If anyone has any instructions on this, I have a manual transmission BTW, I would appreciate it. I got a floor jack to make this a bit easier LOL. However, I don't want to tackle this for the first time and screw something up. What all do I really need to remove, and what can I get by without removing basically is what I need to know for sure.

Parts don't do me any good when I can't really drive it reliably enough to make it worth while LOL.

I'll PM you my address, but I don't really want to have someone paying my way, I've never been that way, I've always been the person to help people so I don't really expect anything from anyone period, just some advice on how to easily do this seal replacement.

MastuhWaffles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
My credo
I need more sleep.
I need to change out the rear main seal, as its losing a lot of oil back there every day about a half a quart a day just around town.
You can always use sticky notes.. :icon_twisted:

It just reminded me on my motorcycle, it had an oil leak due to a seal, so I stuck duct tape on it and put in thicker oil. LOL :icon_rofl:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
You can always use sticky notes.. :icon_twisted:

It just reminded me on my motorcycle, it had an oil leak due to a seal, so I stuck duct tape on it and put in thicker oil. LOL :icon_rofl:
HAHA, I bet that seal was a whole lot easier to get to than the rear main in the 2.8L V6. I'm wondering really if it would be easier to pull the engine out than pull the transmission and everything, or does it really make a difference?

Actually I was thinking about a sharpie marker, and drawing arrows, circles etc. saying start here idiot LOL.

Last edited:

MastuhWaffles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
My credo
I need more sleep.
HAHA, I bet that seal was a whole lot easier to get to than the rear main in the 2.8L V6. I'm wondering really if it would be easier to pull the engine out than pull the transmission and everything, or does it really make a difference?
Maybe lifting the body off? You could get to everything easily if you did that..

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Maybe lifting the body off? You could get to everything easily if you did that..
HAHA!!!, engineers design stuff they way they do because they aren't the ones that have to work on the stuff they think up. If they did have to work on it, they'd come up with a lot better designs for sure. They need like quick disconnects on everything that would make an engine or transmission replacement like a 5 minute task LOL.

Oh well at least I have a vehicle to drive while the bronco 2 is undergoing surgery.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
I'm kind of at a loss right now due to I only have one day off a week from work, so I am afraid to tear into anything as I don't want to start doing something and forget what step came next when I left off. I need to change out the rear main seal, as its losing a lot of oil back there every day about a half a quart a day just around town. If anyone has any instructions on this, I have a manual transmission BTW, I would appreciate it. I got a floor jack to make this a bit easier LOL. However, I don't want to tackle this for the first time and screw something up. What all do I really need to remove, and what can I get by without removing basically is what I need to know for sure.

Parts don't do me any good when I can't really drive it reliably enough to make it worth while LOL.

I'll PM you my address, but I don't really want to have someone paying my way, I've never been that way, I've always been the person to help people so I don't really expect anything from anyone period, just some advice on how to easily do this seal replacement.

might be info in here that will help

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139198&page=2

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
That link makes the job sound more difficult than it really looks. My biggest thing is if I disconnect the clutch assembly to get the transmission out of the way, would I have to bleed the clutch hydraulics again when I get it all back together? If not I think I'm good, the clutch hydraulic bleeding sounded to be a big pain in the a**. Looks like it is going to just be very time consuming to do to get that seal changed, but at $4 a quart every 2 days that's quite a bit of money in oil every month.

MastuhWaffles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
My credo
I need more sleep.
Well for now all I can say is that my father told me, "If you work hard and do it right, you'll end up with something great."