•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

3.8 swap?

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Who here has done this swap? I'm interested in whether it seemed worth it after it was done? Enough power now? Economy? Ease of this swap?

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Even better, has anyone swapped in the supercharded version?

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Duh!
its been done, but your best bet is a 4.0 or 5.0(mountaineer or X), imo i would rather have 5.0 because it has more potential, more torque, plus it sounds good, and either one would be easier to install then a 3.8

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
I guy there are other options and that there is a write up in the tech section. I was looking to see if any posters here had done it. Not interested in other choices right now, just want to know about that one.

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
I've done the 4.0 swap. Its definitely worth it.

I'd like to do a 5.0 swap, but I'd wanna do a sas with it. That seems like a ton of power for such a lil truck. The 4.0 is pretty torquey in the B2.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
My 84 is carbureted, so a 4.0 is not an option. Again, looking for 3.8 info . . . .

Hahnsb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Vehicle
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Just gotta swap the fuel system...

To my knowlege there isn't anyone on this board that has done a 3.8 swap, you're entering uncharted territory.

birddog321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
What is the donor vehicle? Just curious because mine is Carb'd too.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Duh!
I've done the 4.0 swap. Its definitely worth it.

I'd like to do a 5.0 swap, but I'd wanna do a sas with it. That seems like a ton of power for such a lil truck. The 4.0 is pretty torquey in the B2.
my wheeling buddy has a cj5 with a built to the hilt 304 with 31's and 4.10's...the thing is nasty quick

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
holy cow, could you take this thread more off tpoic?? A 304 AMC engine? jeesh

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
No one has done the 3.8 Swap because....

Its not bolt in
Needs a different tranny
Who knows on the wiring and what you would have to do to use your stock dash
Less power than the 4.0

There's not a lot of info because it hasn't been done on this board..Im sure someone has done it, but not one that I've seen around here.

It's fuel injected, so 4.0 or 3.8, your going to need to swap the fuel system anyway. ?? And the Carb'd 3.8 doesnt seem worth it...

4.0 is easier, bolts in, makes more power etc.

All the info on this swap on this site is here:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/3_8_Conversion.html

Last edited:

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Its not bolt in- no different than a 302

Needs a different tranny- needs a different bellhousing

Who knows on the wiring and what you would have to do to use your stock dash- huh ?

4.0 is easier, bolts in, makes more power etc.- ok, but not everyone wants fuel injection . . . mine is carbureted and not interested in going FI. So for 84/85 owners, its more viable.

I guess no one reads all the previous posts before they post them self??

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
You asked "I'm interested in whether it seemed worth it after it was done? Enough power now? Economy? Ease of this swap?"

I answered from the knowledge I have.

Worth it? No, not in my opinion.

Enough power? No, not in my opinion.

Ease of swap? Never done it. But, it sounds a hell of a lot harder than a 4.0, and will make less power. Just seems impractical to me, which is why I suggest a 4.0, not a 302 or 5.0.

FI is better. :icon_thumby:

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
I'm an automotive pro. I have been a auto teacher for over 20 years and have a restoration business presently. I know about fuel injection verses carburetors. I have taught that for years. I own 5 vehicles that are fuel injected . . just that I have 13 vehicles that are carbureted. But thats because I like vintage automobiles. If I didn't, I wouldn't have an '84 Ranger :icon_hornsup: So try not to talk me into FI, I love it . . in the right vehicle and under the right situation. I just don't like my 2.8 and wanted to see if anyone had done the 3.8. For an 84/85, the 3.8 is an option.

Last edited:

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
If you want to do a 3.8 swap, go for it. Doesn't seem worth it to me, it isn't enough of a power increase to justify the work involved in doing the swap.

A Carb'd 302 would be the same amount of work, and will give you enough torque to do anything.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
i WOULD LOVE THE 3.8 IN A B2 but its a little more involved, If you want to do the supercharged version, it must be pre-98 with the single port intake to fit the m90 eaton. Otherwise you need a dual port adapter plate, which in this case you might as well go with a m12 eaton. I highly highly highly recommend if you do this 3.8 swap you use a 4.2 crank with 351W connecting rods. Simple stroker kit. The 4.3 crank is the same dimensions with a longer reach than the 3.8 crank and stronger. If you dont do the 4.2 crank then at least use hte supercoupe crank off the supercoupe 3.8l supercharged engine, its way stronger and will handle up to 500 hp. Not on Hp more though. ANd 500 is pushing it.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Who here has done this swap? I'm interested in whether it seemed worth it after it was done? Enough power now? Economy? Ease of this swap?
Not worth it

Even better, has anyone swapped in the supercharded version?

Doubly not worth it.

The 3.8 is prone to warping heads. The super charged version is prone to warping heads and only has about 15 extra hp available to the wheels. The supercoupe blower makes 35 HP, and produces a drag of about 20 on the engine.

If you are really looking to do this swap upgrade. The 4.2 is basically the same engine (taller deck) but much more sound. More power, rivaling the 4.6, decent economy, and they don't warp heads.

Last edited:

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
does everyone remember . . carbureted please. As for comparing power, also remember, we are talking about the 2.8 vs the 3.8. Have you ever owned a 2.8?? yikes!

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
You should really fill in your truck info in your profile dude. That way we all know what we are comparing to. Also, most of us don't have a tally sheet of who is vehemently opposed to FI in their truck (although I do remember you saying something about that in a previous post now).