•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Ford Explorer vs Jeep Cherokee

shane96ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
And between the 5.0 and 4R70W it is rare to see one in the JY under 200k that hasn't been wrecked...
I hear you! This is exactly why I am still kicking myself for not buying the complete engine I got my heads from. It only had 68,000 miles.

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Stock for stock I'd take a Cherokee anyday, even so if we are talking SLIGHT mods (small lift, tires, long arms etc.)

Now if your talking axle swaps and heavy wheeling I'd take the expo since it has a frame.

The explorer is much bigger, inside and out. I've owned a few of both, they are good vehicles but I don't trust the expo's a4ld

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
To add to my earlier statement about the different interior dimensions. I just started my explorer today (I've been driving a zj for the winter) and the difference is dramatic, you could get lost in there with all the room.

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
To add to my earlier statement about the different interior dimensions. I just started my explorer today (I've been driving a zj for the winter) and the difference is dramatic, you could get lost in there with all the room.
The couple times I had been in a ZJ I never really thought there was much of a difference. I can't say that I think the 91-01 Explorer has a crazy amount of extra room either.

shane96ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Here's the most recent photo I've taken of his Jeep.

Mac

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I loved my '90' Cherokee. That old design straight six was unbeatable. Replaced a thermostat and then the front brakes went out at 140K. Body was starting to go but it sure got me thru some tough Winters. Would have bought another but they came out with that wimp-ass Liberty replacement.
Dave

shane96ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
It's got a Rusty's 8 inch long arm lift, which he's added another 1.5" to. He's also got Rusty's sliders, subframe connectors, and HD drag link. It's got a Dana 44's with e-lockers. Since this photo he's added a roll bar. I need to get some newer pics because I think this is just the 8 inch lift in these photos.
OK, sorry to make this a run on reply Jim, but I just talked to my buddy a minute ago and the front is a Super Dana 30 that has bigger axles and U-Joints. He is eventually going to get a 44 in the front. The E-Lockers are made by Eaton. He is going to go get a Teraflex High Steer Knuckle for it really soon (I guess they are located somewhere here in Salt Lake).

He was telling me his buddy that he wheels with is doing a stroker on his, and it will be in the 300hp range. :icon_surprised:

94xlt4.0

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9, 4.0
i currently own an 88 cherokee and a 90 bronco 2. previously had a 94 ranger which is still in the family so between the 2 ford i KINDA had an explorer. the jeep runs and drives well but there is definitely a lot more road and wind noise. the body on the fords feel like better quality metal IMO. the ford interiors are much better quality as well. the older renix jeeps are fairly well known for some cooling issues as well as a lot of stupid electrical issues. as far as reliability with proper upkeep on them the ford and jeep will last about the same mileage wise. (my jeep is at about 180k, b2 is 170k, ranger 220k). run an aftermarket tranny cooler on the ex and i feel like the ex is probably a little bit more durable.

shane96ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I don't know if anyone cares, LOL, but I went over and took some more pics of my buddies set-up on his XJ. We also found some more carnage from tipping it on it's side. The passenger side mount for the long arm on his Super D30 got all tweaked. Anyway, if anyone has any questions, or wants more pics of something, let me know. It's really a nice little machine.

Here's the bent bracket:

He has a monstrosity of a roll bar in this thing:

The e-locker switches:

Last edited:

s10 warrior

Reaction score
I've been looking in to various vehicles that could be used off-road as public safety vehicles IE: Sheriff Patrol, Search Rescue / EMS, etc.

Two vehicles that jump to the top of the list is the Jeep Cherokee and Ford Explorer. These were chosen due to their size and potential off-road capabilities. I'm talking about the older Explorers.

It's funny that Jeep is considered an off-road vehicle just by its name, and the Explorer is looked at as being a soccer mom vehicle. But to me, it seems like the Explorer cmes with stronger axles right from the factory. Lord knows there is a crap load of Jeeps running aroud with Explorer 8.8's.

For those in the know, what do you think one vehicle has in advanatage and disadvantage over the other vehicle?

that is a tough one!! i love both Explorers and Cherokee's. the older ones such as the Early 90's. IMHO , i dont think of the explorer as being a soccer mom vehicle.. both The explorer n cherokee have served me well ,as i have put both thru hell off while off the road :headbang: .

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
a long armed caged XJ is awesome...period.
but so is a long armed caged explorer...

shane96ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
a long armed caged XJ is awesome...period.
but so is a long armed caged explorer...
I agree. I couldn't ever own one, but my buddies XJ is pretty badass. He was just giving me a big list of things he still wants to do to it. For some reason he wants to get it painted, LOL. I'm going to try and talk him into rhino lining all or part of it.

Sent while I should be doing something else

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
I don't know if anyone cares, LOL, but I went over and took some more pics of my buddies set-up on his XJ.
I'm kindof liking those rollcage clamps. You know the source for those by chance?

shane96ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
He was down at Moab with the owner of Rock Hard, and the guy gave him a deal on it. They call it a fabrication collar on their page. They are a bit pricey, but it allows you to remove and move pieces if you need to. Luckily he was able to move the bar across the top if the dash because after he installed it, his glove box wouldn't open.

http://www.rockhard4x4.com/default.asp?m=0

Sent while I should be doing something else

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Cool, thanks for the link. You're right about the price... I got a small bit of the 2" DOM left over from when I built my radius arms I wonder if I could successfully make some out of... :icon_idea:

shane96ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
My buddy put a high steer on his Jeep last week, and I thought I'd share the pics I took:

This is the new bracket he put on it. The OEM piece got bent up when he tipped it on it's side.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
The first generation ford explorers with the solid axles would make a great offroad vehicle, the newer ones with independent suspension should be trashed, I don't know but the whole independent suspension just turned me against it when I bought my Toyota pickup and first washout I hit pulling an ATV trailer knocked the alignment out. I never had a problem like that with solid axles in my jeep, the old explorer I used to drive for work, or my old Dodge Ram.

However the weak link in a jeep is the cost of accessories because it is associate with a "JEEP" the price triples on everything it seems like.

The only good jeep out there came with the Selec-Trac transfer case IMO best 4WD system ever made, gave mechanical selection of 2WD, 4WD High Part Time, 4WD High Full Time, Neutral of course, and 4WD Low. I never played with the AWD setting in the explorers but have heard it was never that great, but who knows. I could care less about who says what really its all a matter of which brand you want to buy.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
My only beef with the new Cherokees is the uni-body. And the fact that Jeep's have the worst drivetrains IMO. I wouldn't want an Explorer either except the 302 so I can scavenge it for parts.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
stock for stock year for year 4.0 to 4.0 i would take the jeep any day.

the cherokee blows the explorer away stock to stock off road. and the explorer is no slouch in any terms. the xj is just that good ime over the other offerings except certain year full locking center/front/rear Landcruisers/Sequoya, that went for hi-40's to 50k back then!!

but when it comes time to majorly upgrade for serious off road/expedition type use i am definitely gonna build an explorer over a xj. just too easy to go past the stock axles in the xj....but that is why the xj works so well stock...its right at the limit.

Krwlnrx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
To the OP...
A lot depends on the use the vehicle will see. For a patrol type vehicle, I'm assuming a mild build, nothing crazy. IMO, a XJ would be the way to go. 91 or newer to get the H.O. engine and less problematic renix electrics. A 91-94 should also have a high pinion D30, which is stronger than a LP D30 in the newer jeeps. (LP, or low pinion, use a reverse rotation cut on the gears). A mild 3" lift, which you can install in your garage in under 2 hrs with hand tools, clears a 31-32" tire easily and still has really good street manners.The Explorers have a little bit more complicated suspension and are a little more involved install, although I'm sure it can be done in the garage. Explorers do have the manual hub advantage, but again, in a patrol vehicle, in an emergency, the ability to just engage 4wd on the fly, like in a jeep, is the way to go. Jeeps dont use vacum hubs either like some of the earlier fords, so more reliable 4wd that way. The NP242 case is also a great feature with 2wd, full time 4wd, 4hi, N, and 4L...which if you send the case to Terraflex, they will install the 4:1 low range kit, and the 2 low kit, which gives you 2wd, full time, 4hi, N, 4L, and 2 low, all with one lever.
Try to find an XJ with a Chrysler 8.25" rear axle, fairly common, this axle has very similar strength as a D44. An 8.8 w/ disk is an easy swap also, and cheap if you an weld the brackets on. The aftermarket support and popularity of the XJ means you will have readily available parts more or less at any auto parts store. Older Jeeps are often more well cared for and better maintained, at least in my area, than exploders, which are generally all beat to crap and junky. As far as off road and hard to access areas, the Jeep is going to get you in and out with less work and effort than the same year explorer. Especially when you pull the front axle sway bar disconnects. The mechanical aspect of an XJ is just better suited to rough terrain use.
Explores of the same era were not built to be used off road in harsh conditions like an XJ, they had less robust suspension and less travel, and were more based towards daily driving, occasional light off road use.

Ramblings from a Jeep addict....that's my .02c worth.