•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Helga, My 88 B2 Build...

Boggin

Reaction score
sick truck man, I love it, and your doing some really good work there, keep it up,

oh yea, Im always watching your vids on youtube, lol, you got me wanting a Flowmaster now, haha

Hahnsb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Vehicle
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Thanks.

Still having problems with the clutch, my dads crawled under it and done some looking around, doesn't see the slave fading at all or any leaks, just wont bleed all the way. It's barely able to go in gear right now but I've driven it a little bit and man it kills the 2.9, not quite as much as I was expecting but but I'm not even sure if it's running right and my tach is waaay off too. Just from my little time driving it I'll say I'll pick up some MPG, don't have to work it nearly as hard as the 2.9. The sound of an explorer starting up is going to take a little getting used to :D

Last edited:

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
wait till you put those 4.56 gears in it, then it wills scream with the 32's!

crazy horse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Ew! I'm trying to stay focused. Very Nice build. but, what is that sticking out of your garage. :drool:

Hahnsb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Vehicle
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
69 RoadRunner Big Bad Green (AMC color), Dad's work in progress, 383 big block, 727 auto, LS rear. Outside is mostly done, just the interior needs to be finished.

On a side note I'm loving this 4.0, just want this damn clutch bled all the way so I can drive it worth a damn though.

Boggin

Reaction score
Your truck will deffinetly be my inspiration only flat black, do you plan on fender trimming any time soon?

Hahnsb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Vehicle
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
The fronts have already been trimmed, couldn't even steer with 34s without them hitting badly. Rears still need a small touch of trimming.

So driving in the rain earlier (Because that's what washington is like in august :rolleyes: ) going around corners just putting along in 2nd about 1500 RPMs, slowly roll the throttle and it's spinning both tires and I'm goin sideways, took everything the 2.9 had to break em loose in 1st, 4.0 does it without thinking twice in 2nd and this tranny is higher geared. Here's a pic under the hood, still some wiring to organize but overall it's 98% done.

Mechanickid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
looks shweet! I wish explorers were as easy to mod a 1st gen bronco ii / rangers

Hahnsb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Vehicle
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Well I dunno about that. You have the luxury of having all the good parts on your sploder already. After working on my sploder parts rig though I deffinatly prefer my B2 for various reasons, even if I have to spend a lot of time turning my rig into an essentialy glorfied sploder sport.

84projectFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The fronts have already been trimmed, couldn't even steer with 34s without them hitting badly. Rears still need a small touch of trimming.

So driving in the rain earlier (Because that's what washington is like in august :rolleyes: ) going around corners just putting along in 2nd about 1500 RPMs, slowly roll the throttle and it's spinning both tires and I'm goin sideways, took everything the 2.9 had to break em loose in 1st, 4.0 does it without thinking twice in 2nd and this tranny is higher geared. Here's a pic under the hood, still some wiring to organize but overall it's 98% done.

very nice. i hope my 84 turn out like that, lots more work though due to fuel lines and fuel pump, little more wiring, and teh adition of a m50d w/ a 8.8

Boggin

Reaction score

looks very sweet, congrats!

Hahnsb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Vehicle
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Drove to Hillsboro for my monday delivery today without any problems, nice to have power to cruise, hard to train myself to stop downshifting when I don't need to, it pulls most hills in 5th. Worked on covering up most of the wires and it's lookin a lot cleaner under the hood. Also took care of a couple exhaust leaks, I just can't stand exhaust leaks. Pic's a little dark but as you can see the wires are wrapped up nice and tidy.

Here's a glimpse of what's to come. 3" JD lift, home made extended arms I got from 84EB on B2.org for a pretty cheap (I'll beef em up a little since I've got a welder/time) and a 4.56 D35 pig.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
hard to train myself to stop downshifting when I don't need to, it pulls most hills in 5th. 4.56......
4.56 will probably seem too low geared.cruising in 5th at 55 to get a reasonable rpm sucks.your trucks not going to like 65 or more.but oh well thats the tradeoff.

make sure you check the clearance on the drop bracket for the driver side to the steering linkage while turned. the reinforcement that goes forward to a non stock bolt hole hit the linkage at full stuff on my truck before i relieved it with a grinder(the tab that goes out of the pic to the right

Last edited:

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Yeah, 4.56 on the highway kinda sucks, depending on your tire size of course..
You running 34"s?

I had 33's and 4.56 and a FM146, I was at nearly 3000rpm at 65-70mph or so(My speedo was way off, I was going off my girlfriends car riding next to me) and with a 2.9, that worked out pretty well, with the 4.0, I would think 34" and 4.56 should work quite nice at 65 or so

Last edited:

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
yeah that is if those 34" tires see much highway use. cheap 33" at's are what i run around on when the swamps aren't on.

now my isuzu p-u with factory 4.55's, 31's, and a sub-100 hp 4 wheezer feels fine at 70

Last edited:

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
yeah that is if those 34" tires see much highway use. cheap 33" at's are what i run around on when the swamps aren't on.
Depends on if he listens to radio or not, when I was running boggers on the highway, the only thing I could hear was the jets flying overhead when passing the air base ;missingteeth;

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Depends on if he listens to radio or not, when I was running boggers on the highway, the only thing I could hear was the jets flying overhead when passing the air base ;missingteeth;
are you sure YOU weren't the bomber coming in for landing? LOL. thats what my ranger sounds like with the boggers on.i let a buddy go on a beer run with it and was surprised how loud it is coming in for a landing,er pulling up i mean. and yeah my stock stereo with 1.5 speakers working can't be heard,haha.

Hahnsb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Vehicle
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
I'll be running 33s on the street. According to my calculations I'll be right around 2700 RPMs at 70, that's assuming they measure 1.5" short I'll try to find the tallest 33s I can.. 65 drops it to 2500, a better spot for a 4.0, I like to do 65-70 on the freeway so it should be alright. It drops it another 100 RPMs at the same speeds with 34s on. With my 31s and 4.10s I'm at 2600 RPMs at 70.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
i'm at 2500rpm at 65 in overdrive,with 4.10 and 33's(31.5")

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
FYI, Maurice (mjones) '97 Ranger with the 4.0, M50D-R1, 4.56's, and 35's (actually 34.7) ran at about 2500 rpm at 75 mph. He got around 18 mph on the highway with that configuration.

Looks like it is coming together.