•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Josh's Bronco II Body Restoration Thread

88B2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 2.3L
Looks exactly like yours!
Yeah it sure does :icon_thumby: The EB's seem to pop up from time to time, always in that color scheme for some reason.

Last edited:

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Yeah it sure does :icon_thumby: The EB's seem to pop up from time to time, always in that color scheme for some reason.
and always double the price that i want them for...i'd rather have a B2 Than my ranger!

88B2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 2.3L
Got the buffing thing all figured out today! PetesPonies offered some really good advice that I basically did word for word and it turned out really nice. First thing was to drop the orbital buffer then drop some cash on a nice rotary buffer/polisher by ATD. It's got great reviews and is very comparable to professional buffers but at a lower price ($80). I also ordered a yellow foam pad for it ($15) and some SureFinish compound from Autobodystore.com ($37).

Here's some experimenting on the hood. The left side (passenger) was done with the orbital buffer, the top right was just wet sanded with 1500 grit, and the bottom right was done with the rotary buffer.

This was the temporary shop today. The garage was too dark to see all the sanding scratches that needed to get buffed out so I pulled everything out into the daylight. You can see all the body panels lined up in the garage ready for their turn on the bench.

First step was a wool pad at the lowest setting (1000rpm) with firm pressure (being careful not to burn the clear coat off the edges):

After that I followed up with more compound and the yellow foam pad with firm pressure (always at 1000rpm). Then some water on the pad and very light pressure. Here's all finished:

So paintwork is officially done today! :yahoo: Next will be the slow process of putting everything back together. It's already too cold for pinstriping and decals so that will need to wait till Spring. In the meantime there are some things that make sense to take care of while it's all apart like a new sending unit, fixing a PO's radio wiring disaster, possibly new body mounts (hint), etc. Still a long way to go on the old B2 and will keep you posted.:icon_thumby:

Last edited:

hende

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
VERY nice work:icon_welder:

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
It really is amazing isn't it? How nice the finish can work when it's done correctly. Good job!! It's going to look brand new and that is not an over statement. But you realize why it's costs so much to have good work done right?? time!!

88B2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 2.3L
Thanks guys. I hope it looks as good as you say it will Pete. Seeing some of the work by other members like Multiranger's STOTM is really humbling. Here are a few thing's I was able to get done over the past few weeks:

The fenders are on. Have to say I was a little disappointed with the repro fenders. The fit just isn't at the same level as stock and I had to grind down the flanges in the side openings so the marker lights would fit as well as a few other places. I'd recommend dry fitting them before painting, it just would have made it a whole lot easier to grind/bang the panels into shape. Aside from that it just took quite a while adjusting everything to get the fit as close as possible without the door hitting.

Dropped the fuel tank to install a new sending unit. A lot easier than I would have expected but still a pain getting all the hoses and wires hooked back up.

Here are some pictures of the liftgate going back on. I used this same set-up to take the liftgate off and also when my truck box needs to come off, really makes easy work of it. Once the liftgate was mounted it took about an hour to get the alignment right.

Next up is liftgate hardware and door trim. Oh, and I was wondering if anyone's ever had their name put on the truck above the door handle? I used to see that on older trucks but haven't in a while. I think it would be cool to put my family members' names really small under the windows. Was thinking about custom decals or hiring someone to paint them on. Not really sure how to go about it.

More to come...

dieseldane

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/1995
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/5.0
That b2 is looking gooooooooooodddd. Let me know when you're finished so I can send mine your way.

I've seen the name thing on semis and race vehicles, but I don't think I've ever seen it on a regular daily driver.

88B2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 2.3L
Thanks man. Yeah, I guess it's more the lifted 1970's trucks I've seen it on. Would it be out of place on a restored B2?

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Looks great!! As far as the front fenders . . well welcome to the world of repro parts. It is standard fare . . you have to message them to make them fit correctly. It's why sometimes the repro parts just aren't worth it. But yours look good now.

CarsonChris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990/87
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0/2.9
Amazing job. How long did it take you start to finish? I have one BII the same color that needs paint. Just bought another that's clean. Now I'm thinking I should keep red and paint her myself. Did have zero dents but my son put in a few wheeling.

88B2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 2.3L
Amazing job. How long did it take you start to finish? I have one BII the same color that needs paint. Just bought another that's clean. Now I'm thinking I should keep red and paint her myself. Did have zero dents but my son put in a few wheeling.
That looks to be a really clean truck you just picked up. Great price too. Body/paintwork can be very time consuming and expensive. How long start to finish? Will have to get back to you when it's done (eyes rolling). I started back in March but nights and weekends are all I've been able to do so it's taken a while. Taking it on myself has been a great learning experience but truth is places like Maaco could have done it for me cheaper so just keep that in mind. Let me know if you decide to paint yours. Happy to answer whatever questions I can.:icon_thumby:

Josh

Ultraspontane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Looks great! I'm glad people people are investing time into restoring these trucks. I've fallen in love with my BII in the one week that I've owned it so far. I'm holding on to mine, and perhaps I'll be doing something similar down the road when I've got a garage. Thanks for taking pictures along the way.

88B2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 2.3L
Looks great! I'm glad people people are investing time into restoring these trucks. I've fallen in love with my BII in the one week that I've owned it so far. I'm holding on to mine, and perhaps I'll be doing something similar down the road when I've got a garage. Thanks for taking pictures along the way.
You're welcome:) Personally I wish a few more people were into restoring them. Everybody seems to want to lift theirs or throw in a bigger engine but I think there's value in keeping a few the way Ford intended. It's all personal preference I guess. If they go the way of most other classics 10 years from now it will be the original examples that are worth the most. So if when I'm done no one knows I did anything then I'm happy. Congratulations on your recent B2 purchase, hope it serves you well.

88B2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 2.3L
100 posts so I'm a real member now!

Last edited:

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
They are neat trucks, trucks being the key word...most have been used as such and are rusted out and beat up beyond repair or broken due to design flaws. Which makes it cool to see nice original ones.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Picking up an 84 B2 in a week that I've been making small payments on. Can't wait to get it home and plan on leaving it bone stock, well except maybe replacing the tires in a year or 2 as they're at about 50% right now.

CarsonChris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990/87
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0/2.9
After I get my new BII running a little better I'm going to park red in my garage and start sanding her down. I'm going to have furlough time this winter and need something to do.

88B2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 2.3L
Picking up an 84 B2 in a week that I've been making small payments on. Can't wait to get it home and plan on leaving it bone stock, well except maybe replacing the tires in a year or 2 as they're at about 50% right now.[/IMG]
That's a very original looking B2 you got there:icon_thumby: Maybe it's the mountain backdrop but I really like that color scheme. You just don't see it anymore. My B2 will be used for light towing too, although that's moving up from my current '94 2.3L that's been an absolute letdown when towing. 60-65 on the expressway with a snowmobile trailer isn't fun until recently when I swallowed my pride and put a trailer package on the wife's '97 Taurus. Something about using the family grocery getter to do what an RBV can't just seems wrong but that'll change as soon as the Bronco's finished:)

88B2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 2.3L
After I get my new BII running a little better I'm going to park red in my garage and start sanding her down. I'm going to have furlough time this winter and need something to do.
Very glad to hear you'll be taking it on! Be forwarned though you will come to hate everything sanding related and will wake up in the middle of the night in a puddle of sweat from nightmares about it. Seriously though just set goals like, I'm gonna do the hood tonight, and you will get through it. Just takes a lot of time.

88B2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 2.3L
They are neat trucks, trucks being the key word...most have been used as such and are rusted out and beat up beyond repair or broken due to design flaws. Which makes it cool to see nice original ones.
Well said Shran. Here in Michigan it's the rust that kills em and trying to find one without any is next to impossible.