•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

new here, but need advice

broncobuckinaround

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Vehicle
ford
hi every one. my names chris.

this is my sec bronco2, first one crashed and burned. not my fault.

so anyways, this one is a 07/86 with a 2.9 auto.

poor bronco has a cracked head, i didnt see this till after i did a head gasket set on it.

can these be welded and called good for a long time, or am i better off buying new heads.

or is it much better to just rebuild the whole motor.

jhammel85

On here ignoring work
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
How much coolant is in the oil? Did you run it for a while?

Replacing the heads is the only way to fix it IMO. Flush out the engine with lots of cheap oil before finally driving it and you should be fine....

The engine isn't making any noises right?

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The proper fix is to remove the engine, tear it all apart, and add 1.1 liters of displacement to the engine before reinstalling with a revised harness, new computer, and upgraded starter.

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
The proper fix is to remove the engine, tear it all apart, and add 1.1 liters of displacement to the engine before reinstalling with a revised harness, new computer, and upgraded starter.
This is a fancy way of saying, drop a 4.0 in there. You will never regret it:icon_thumby:

broncobuckinaround

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Vehicle
ford
thanks guys for your replys. im looking to up grade the engine to a 4.0. nice lingo tho. lmao very fancy.

as for noise in the engine thankfully no noise it sounds great, there was tho a lot of water in the previous oil. i had drained it and let drain for about 30 min. changed the filter, filled with CHEAP oil with motor flush, flushed radiator, cuz it had oil in it to.

so anyways, thing also needs a fuel pump. theres not enuff pressure in the rail.

finally got it started and let it run, ran rough for a few min cuz from what it sounded like was lil to no compression. but it smoothed out after it got warmed up. then i noticed water coming out of the head write above cyl 1. for a sec i thought i it was coming out of the valve cover. but then saw it seeping out of the head.

if all i need to do is get some new heads, ill do that when the time comes. aka funds. after i saw the head leaking i just shut it off and my cuz and i pushed it to its resting place for now.

does anyone know if the ebay heads are a good buy. they are 319 for a pair.

jhammel85

On here ignoring work
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Honestly, I haven't heard. Whats the brand? Do they give it? I'm sure they're fine...

How about junkyard 2.9 heads since you're on a budget? Just make sure they have the right markings indicating the better cast.

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
be careful with Junkyard heads... check them carefully.
I'd do the 4.0 swap, as you can tell by my name.

However, we ran a 2.9 in my b2 awhile and NEVER had problem with it..heads/cooling/nothing.

broncobuckinaround

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Vehicle
ford
the company is j and c enterprises

they have a lot of good comments.

so im betting they will be fine.

ok next question. can i reuse the headgaskets i bought and just put on. or are they trash cuz the amount of torque put on them. it only heated up one time.

birddog321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
They have to be replaced. The torque crushes the seals around the cylinders and renders them useless

Twister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1987
Vehicle
Duh
Engine Size
2.8L, 2.9L
the company is j and c enterprises

they have a lot of good comments.

so im betting they will be fine.

ok next question. can i reuse the headgaskets i bought and just put on. or are they trash cuz the amount of torque put on them. it only heated up one time.
I bought a set of heads from them when my heads cracked on my 2.9. They seem to be doing ok, the only problem i had with them was one of the holes on the head where the alt bracket bolts on was the wrong size, so i just bought a bolt from the hardware store.

broncobuckinaround

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Vehicle
ford
well thats not to bad i guess. dont they paint the new finished heads. maybe the paint was to thick. idk. thanks tho. ill buy those since i now know they are worth it. thx

Twister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1987
Vehicle
Duh
Engine Size
2.8L, 2.9L
well thats not to bad i guess. dont they paint the new finished heads. maybe the paint was to thick. idk. thanks tho. ill buy those since i now know they are worth it. thx
The heads i got were not painted, but i recommend painting them, not more than a week later the heads were rusted lol.

broncobuckinaround

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Vehicle
ford
nice, maybe ford blue hahahahaha. they dont have a lot of choices for color. lol. thx man

jhammel85

On here ignoring work
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
I may have missed it but buy new bolts too when you reinstall these new heads.