•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Wife is one lucky woman

fordever

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Mazda
Engine Size
So the wife just bought this 1986 Bronco 2 with 67,000 original miles second owner for $1600. And I couldn't find one for the life of me when I was shopping for one go figer :bawling::thefinger:. Any ways to the pics.

Attachments

RonD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Nice find, very clean and very straight :icon_thumby:

Frank The Tank

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
98 70
Vehicle
Protege' F100-R
Engine Size
1. sumthing 7.3 gasoline
Sweet Bronc. It's tough to find one in that good of condition.

fordever

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Mazda
Engine Size
Yeah not one dent in her, witch is amazing considering the age. And we only found 2 spots that my need to be touched up with some primer.

ashleyroachclip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 Ranger STX
Vehicle
1995 Explorer L
That dash pad is in amazing condition.

BroncoMama

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Thanks all! I'm pretty excited to have it. It drives great. There is no doubt it wasn't driven much by the previous owners. It's probably never even been off road, lol. Now comes the hard decision...what color to paint it!

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I do see one potentially fatal issue that may have been enough to steer me away from it.

It has an Aw-4ul-D.

BroncoMama

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Sorry, I'm new to this, but what does Aw-4ul-D mean?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
He means A4LD Automatic Transmission, they are notorious for failures. My 93 Ranger went through 2 when I had it, new owner put the 3rd one in it. Its sad because I would rather have an automatic but can't find anything I could afford I found someone with an 84 B2 in rough condition with manual everything and no A/C for $975 that would take payments so I'm stuck with it.

Anyhow you got yourself a really nice looking Bronco 2 (B2 as many people refer to them on here as). My suggestion is DO NOT repaint it unless the paint is damaged, and don't modify it in any manor either, just drive it like it is. Its about 27 years old, give it a nice easy life what's left of it.

I had a 1984 Ford Ranger that was the same color.

jhammel85

On here ignoring work
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Ahh just do your best with the transmission but don't be surprised if it dies. Be prepared, That's what I do. Mainly because it's original with a ton of miles on it.

Anyway, that looks great! I think you're lucky to have a wife who would want one!

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
my wife always tells me that she owns half of my shit.....that means that b2 is half yours.

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Nice B2. Don't be too scared of the transmission, they're not great and they cost about $1600 to rebuild, but it's possible to get a lot of miles out of them. I'd suggest upgrading the trans cooler with a larger one, possibly with a fan built into it, and changing the fluid and filter right away. Excessive heat kills them quickly.

fordever

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Mazda
Engine Size
my wife always tells me that she owns half of my shit.....that means that b2 is half yours.
Hell never even thought about that thanks 88_Eddie:yahoo:

fordever

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Mazda
Engine Size
Hey Shran thanks for the good idea. I will look into that this weekend, do you have a suggestion on the size to go up to on the tranny cooler?

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
My a4ld has been fine till I lost overdrive. I need a valve body tho.

I'll give you $20 for that shifter with bezel for the t/case and trans! I NEED one of those bad!

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Hey Shran thanks for the good idea. I will look into that this weekend, do you have a suggestion on the size to go up to on the tranny cooler?
The biggest you can find isn't going to really do much. My grandfather's 93 ranger had an aftermarket tranny cooler on it from the beginning when it was new, added a tow package later on and put in a larger tranny cooler, and still had 2 transmission failures and the most towing it saw was maybe 4k at the most and that was like 80 miles total a couple of times. The last tranny failure was luckily in the driveway at home, lost all forward gears and still had reverse. Sold the POS for $700. Biggest pile of garbage I've ever driven next to the Chevy Cobalt.

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Idk why people have so many issues with the a4ld.. I've had mine for 10 years with minimal issues.

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
I don't have any suggestions on a tranny cooler, just check out Summit or Jegs and buy a bigger one. My buddy got a real nice one for his C6 that is about 9"x9" square, built in fan. Works great. He does not have his trans cooling run through the radiator at all.

I've had a few A4LDs with pretty good results. Lost overdrive occasionally on one of them at 96,000, cannot explain it - it would work sometimes. Never figured it out before I sold the truck.

I used to tow an 18" fiberglass boat with an 80 horse Johnson outboard with my old 2.9/A4LD Ranger, never had an issue. I'd say just be aware that there are known issues but there are PLENTY of other transmissions in other vehicles that have issues too.