•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

can u guys tell me about 2.9 v6's

Hahnsb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Vehicle
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Other than running hot, mine never really gave me any trouble, I even hydrolocked it.

Never had an TFI problems. Lifters only ticked on cold startup and I beat the piss out of it, the power just sucks.

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Wow that thing is clean! Nice truck.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Ok, there is a word I'm looking for to describe what I am feeling. Can't quite think of it.

Its coming to me....

still working on it

Almost got it.....

Jealous. That's it. Totally jealous.

Nice find dude.

jhammel85

On here ignoring work
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Wow! Thats an awesome looking B2

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Absolutely amazing B2. If I could find myself a decent 5spd B2 I would run that and my Explorer.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
2.9l FI, 2.9L FI, 2.8L
First off, I love my 2.9l aslong as you switch out the radiator for a 4.0ls it will stay cool. I run a 160deg. thermostat in mine. As far as the headers, I have the pacesetter headers and noticed about 1-2 miles to a gallon increase with 31x10.50s and 3.45s and an intake. the sound from the headers is clean. but I have other upgrades to the exhaust. It is a dog going up hills with the 31s and 3.45s but cruses nicly down the freeway at 70mph. with the tire/gear setup a 4.0l clutch is almost a must.

I dont just drive mine..... I beat the living crap out of it! and never worrie about driving it to work the next day.
EDIT: And just so you know I am running the dana28 and 7.5 with no issues and it gets used...

See for your self.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjqVgdLhAGw The audio got a little jacked up from the upload but its not bad....

Last edited:

85rx7_93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
thanks guys haha its alright. i am deffinatly going to put pacesetters on it with flowmaster exhaust from oreillys lol. and im in school for high performance engine machining so im tkaing the 2.9 heads off and porting and doing a 3 angle valve job and prolly open the exhaust runners a bit more i should get some decent power form it :)

i am lookign for a hatch and maual warn hubs for d35 with the nuts and washers

chazzone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I have over 300k on my '89, and I've been pretty happy with the truck.

I added a 4.0 radiator, but I'd never use a 160 degree thermostat. It'll run rich, and in your neighborhood, it could really give you problems in the winter.

I've been real happy with pacesetter headers.

I'd also be sure to use 0W-30 motor oil in the winter, and switch to synthetic lubes in the diffs and trans..

I have 3.73 gears, and 29" tires are about the optimum size for performance and mileage.

I average 20 mpg, even towing a trailer or boat, and running bare, have gotten up to 25 mpg (with 5" of lift) on long runs in the summer.

If you're planning on keeping the truck and doing any more than just driving it, I'd seriously suggest an 8.8, and if you really want the larger tires, then pop for a gear swap and an 8.8.

85rx7_93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
i know everyone keeps saying 4.0 radiator but i just got a brand new 2.9 stock radiator for free so im putting that one in

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
I don't think the 4.0 radiator is really necessary. I have put them in two Bronco II's now, and it is almost like they keep it too cool. My temperature gauge doesn't even go into the "normal" range anymore, just stays at or near the bottom after the radiator swap. My buddy's B2 did the same thing. I have a feeling that it has a serious effect on fuel mileage too since it will run richer when it's cold, and since it's always cold now...well do the math.

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
get a different thermostat??? so it stays closed longer

in all reality the 2.9 is a great motor, not a lot of power but still good stuff. i ran mine a long time and it NEVER overheated. idk why so many of them do but i know of 3 different ppl, myself included, that never had an issue with it. now the 4.0 fits like a dream and gives so much more power. its awesome, so if it goes bad, swap the 4.0 in and be done with it all.

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
get a different thermostat??? so it stays closed longer
Hottest thermostat you can get is a 195, and that is what I have in it. The 4.0 radiators are just so frickin big that by the time the thermostat opens, the water in the radiator is very cold and the thermostat just closes again.

rusty70f100

Reaction score
Well after having an '86 Bronco 2 in high school, and an '87 now, here's the advice I can give:

1. Run an OEM Ford thermostat. The aftermarket ones, for whatever reason, seem to make the engine run cold. I don't understand it, but that's been my experience.

2. The TPS (throttle positon sensor) likes to go bad. Hook up an analog multimeter, and set it to resistance. Go between the center and either the top or bottom pin on the sensor. Slowly open the throttle, watching the resistance. If it does not increase smoothly as you open the throttle, the sensor is bad. I find it's about a yearly replacement item. It will run a lot better, and get better mileage, with a good one.

3. If it doesn't want to start in the winter, suspect the starter. I learned this the hard way at -30F. It would crank over too slowly to start when it was that cold, but that was enough when it was warm. A new starter fixed it.

4. If, after you've taken a fairly long trip, there is condensation and / or snot on the bottom of the oil cap, you may have a cracked head. Every 2.9L I've seen that did not have a cracked head was dry as a bone inside the oil cap after a complete warmup.

5. I live in Iowa and I run 0w30 Redline synthetic oil in the winter. Not only does it crank over nice and fast, it keeps the engine cleaner too. The engine also doesn't tick on startup nearly as much as it did on conventional.

6. They like to leak out the back of the intake. Plan on putting that gasket in about every 60,000 miles. You can tell by the oil dripping off the bottom of the oil filter.

They're like anything else, you maintain them and they treat you good. My '87 gets 26mpg on the highway, and about 22 to 23mpg in town. The key is maintenance. Make sure you've got good plugs, plug wires, cap, and rotor. Make sure the O2 sensor is ok.

Just my suggestions. If I can think of anything else I'll let you know.

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I have the same problem with my 4.0 radiator, but I am not too worried about it.

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Well after having an '86 Bronco 2 in high school, and an '87 now, here's the advice I can give:

1. Run an OEM Ford thermostat. The aftermarket ones, for whatever reason, seem to make the engine run cold. I don't understand it, but that's been my experience.
a lot of times if you are not careful, autozone will give you a 180 or 165 degree... or at least they will here, you gotta watch it and make sure you get what you want... my 195 from autozone worked great in the 2.9..
but i don't have COLD COLD winters either here in missippi

85rx7_93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
well i work at oreillys liek i mentioned earlier so ive aldready replaced the radiator hoses belts and used a oem premium 195 thermostat.

today i brought it back to the dealership and they did a warranty on the brakes for me and replaced the pads and rotors for free! yay

next thing is im gonna weld up my auto 4x4 hubs like i did with my old ranger for this winter :))
liek this hehe

RacinNdrummin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The only reason to keep a 2.9 in anything is if you dont know how to swap an engine. The 4.0 is the best/easiest upgrade you can do to a Ranger or BII. The 4.0 is literally like a 2.9 on steriods, and the 4.0 SOHC (which really isnt that hard of a swap) is like a 2.9 x2.

In my opinion, its not even worth discussing the 2.9, its easier to swap in a 4.0 than to modify the 2.9 in any way that gains substantial power.

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
My 2.9L has given me no problems (has about 170K). Runs quiet (has a slightly audible tick from the fuel injectors, no lifter tapping whatsoever).
I find it has adequate power (it's only 20 less than the 4.0L), though it does need to be revved to get that power (which is why tall axle gears with large tires suck big time with this engine).
However I would agree that there's little to be gained from modifying one, it's already pretty well optimized (at 48.3 HP per liter, it beats a lot of engines even 10 or more years newer). Swapping in a 4.0L is the way to go if more power is what you want.

I have the 4.0 auto trans radiator and a 195° t-stat on mine... No issues with temps being too low (the factory gauge does like to read low, though I think it's just the gauge), it consistently gets MPG in the low-20s. A 4.0L will likely replace it when (if) it wears out, but so far it's been doing pretty good.

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
The only reason to keep a 2.9 in anything is if you dont know how to swap an engine.
Oh. :rolleyes:

Guess I should have scrapped the good 2.9 I had then and paid someone else for their 4.0 when I put an engine in my B2. My bad.

If you got it, use it.