•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Ford Explorer vs Jeep Cherokee

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Article Contributor
Reaction score
I've been looking in to various vehicles that could be used off-road as public safety vehicles IE: Sheriff Patrol, Search Rescue / EMS, etc.

Two vehicles that jump to the top of the list is the Jeep Cherokee and Ford Explorer. These were chosen due to their size and potential off-road capabilities. I'm talking about the older Explorers.

It's funny that Jeep is considered an off-road vehicle just by its name, and the Explorer is looked at as being a soccer mom vehicle. But to me, it seems like the Explorer cmes with stronger axles right from the factory. Lord knows there is a crap load of Jeeps running aroud with Explorer 8.8's.

For those in the know, what do you think one vehicle has in advanatage and disadvantage over the other vehicle?

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
For the general public... TTB is a disadvantage. People don't know how to work it so.. They run and hide from it. Overall I think the explorer is a lot better. Motor. Space. Comfort. Frame. Real lockout hubs.

The Cherokee has aftermarket support.

shane96ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
In my opinion, they both are great wheelers. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Both motors are decent, but there's a lot more aftermarket support for the Jeep 4.0 than Ford's. The lack of a frame on the Jeep's is fixable, but still something I don't care for. Being around my buddy's XJ a lot lately has given me a better appreciation for them, but he's sunk 18 grand in this thing in the last 18 months - purchase price included. But it's stroked to a 4.6 and has gobs and gobs of torque.

He went from this:

To this with an additional 14 grand:

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
The Explorer is meant to butt heads more with the Grand Cherokee than the Cherokee.

And you can easily throw as much $$ at an RBV as you can a Jeep.

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Article Contributor
Reaction score
I drove a Highway Patrol Cherokee a little and hated it, but a couple years later I drove a Cherokee Sport that the Patrol had and actually liked it. Seemd to ride better. No idea why.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Well, the Cherokee is a Jeep, so you can just assume it has front end issues without any more information right there.

I'm not a fan of alignment procedures on Jeep D30 axles. Basically, you put the ball joint in, check camber/caster and if it is wrong, you take the ball joints back out and turn them around.

On an Explorer, you just tweak a sleeve.

shane96ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Nice. What's the specs?
It's got a Rusty's 8 inch long arm lift, which he's added another 1.5" to. He's also got Rusty's sliders, subframe connectors, and HD drag link. It's got a Dana 44's with e-lockers. Since this photo he's added a roll bar. I need to get some newer pics because I think this is just the 8 inch lift in these photos.

EDIT: I'm forgetting all kinds of stuff here.

He also put a slip yoke eliminator on the T-case. It has 4.11 gears as well. I'm sure I'll remember more.......

Here are some photo's of him going over white knuckle and cliffhanger in Moab over the Easter weekend - he tipped it on it's side because he had a crap spotter.

At the bottom of this page:
http://www.moabactionshots.com/search.php?search=04-07-2012&match_type=all~both&gid_search=986&gid=&sgid=&startat=75&perpage=15&page_num=6

And the top of this page (this is where he tips it on it's side):
http://www.moabactionshots.com/search.php?search=04-07-2012&match_type=all~both&gid_search=986&gid=&sgid=&startat=90&perpage=15&page_num=7

Cliffhanger pics:
http://www.moabactionshots.com/search.php?search=04-06-2012&match_type=all~both&gid_search=987&gid=&sgid=&startat=105&perpage=15&page_num=8

Last edited:

BDAB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
00, 99, 00
Vehicle
Ford, Ford, Bui
Engine Size
V10, 5.4L, 3.8L v6
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
I don't know ..... I give props to both...... atleast you didn't say Chevy S. Blazer.

toyota LandCruiser also comes to mind.

is this for doomsday prepping?

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
That's a really good question. At the moment I think they both suck, but that's just a temporary situation. The explorer has a bad ball joint and the jeep is peeing out tranny fluid, who knows from where. Anyway, with that minor rant out of the way, it's difficult to pick one over the other. The auto tranny on the jeep is definitely better than the one in the explorer but the manual tranny in the explorer is better the the jeep unit. The jeep t/case that has the full time option is a nice thing to have under certain road conditions. Every xj or zj I've been in has had a better heater and a/c than any explorer I've been in, the b2 was better than either on those things. Getting in and out of the explorer is much easier than the jeep and once inside the explorer is more comfortable, especially if you're tall, heavy or both. I find the ride in the explorer is more comfortable that the jeep but that could be just me. I could probably go on all day pitching one against the other. just flip a coin.

shane96ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I agree Martin. I am 6'4" and his XJ is no picnic. My knees touch the dash with the seat all the way back, and the wheel is right in my lap. I also agree with your statement about the ride. I also think there is a lot more road noise in his Jeep. All this talk makes me miss my Explorer even more.

EDIT: I found it weird that his is a 91 and still has the GM steering column.

Sent while I should be doing something else

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
I like the Jeeps. I've had a couple TJs and they are very simple, basic almost. The 4.0 is a great engine. Never really liked Exploders myself, I know they grew from the Bronco. I just think the basic mechanicals of the jeep are better.

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
I have owned a 1993 Grand Cherokee V8 and a 1990 Cherokee 4 door 4.0. Both good vehicles, and long lasting (200k on one, 265k on the other, both running/driving when sold.)

I was impressed with how much power both vehicles had. My butt dyno says that they had way more than any stock RBV I've ever driven.

My dislikes, apart from the usual fluid leaks, were mostly just with the gas mileage, as well as the jumpy steering in the Grand (it was AWD.)

I think the XJ's are a piss poor choice for a wheeling rig. Building one is like building a stronger pop can... you can only do so much with one due to the lack of frame. The ZJ's are marginally better with slightly larger axles and optional V8.

In summary, I think the Explorer is a great platform, with an inadequate drivetrain, except in the case of the V8 Explorers. The XJ/ZJ Jeeps have an excellent drivetrain but are quite lacking in terms of everything else.

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
I'm not sure I'd call the Ex's drivetrain inadequate myself (well maybe next to today's power standards it is). The auto trans seems to be it's only real sore spot, though I've read a number of reports the A4LD does quite well with a separate external cooler (which makes me tend to believe not so much that it's a weak tranny, but more of an issue with inadequate factory cooling). I don't have any personal experience with the auto though.

My thoughts...

Explorer ('91-'94):
Has stronger axles (both front & rear) with more options for ratios
Factory locking hub setup w/serviceable wheel bearings
Factory fixed-yoke t-case
Better MPG (often by a wide margin too)
Real frame underneath
Roomier, more comfortable interior w/more cargo space
Better ride
Less noisy

Jeep XJ:
Better aftermarket for suspension & body bolt-ons, engine
Lighter weight
Not as much undercarriage clutter (spare tire, fuel tank, rear suspension)
Won't be "shunned" by Jeep owners for not driving a Jeep (however I'd rather simply not be associated with people who do that in the first place)

The Explorer is meant to butt heads more with the Grand Cherokee than the Cherokee.
It's the other way 'round... Jeep (Chrysler) made the Grand to compete better with the Explorer. The Grand still shares some of the XJ's shortcomings though (most notably the no-frame issue). IIRC, early Grands I think also lacked a center-diff lockout with their fulltime 4WD system.

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Well if its a sheriff police type vehichle i would say explorer because you gotta do what you gotta do to catch the bad guy even if it means getting rough and rugged. You mess up a jeep and youve wrecked the frame you mess up a sploder and you mess up the body. Im not so savy on early sploders but dont they have optional v8s? v8 power just like any other police vehichle if things take twoards the road youre in good shape. all the explorers ive ridden in are snappy and not too bad on speed. This might not apply but ford being the most common police vehichles the mechanics would have an easier time maybe?

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'd call the Ex's drivetrain inadequate myself (well maybe next to today's power standards it is). The auto trans seems to be it's only real sore spot, though I've read a number of reports the A4LD does quite well with a separate external cooler (which makes me tend to believe not so much that it's a weak tranny, but more of an issue with inadequate factory cooling). I don't have any personal experience with the auto though.
I guess maybe I should clarify. The M5OD is great, A4LD is not, and the Ford 4.0 is marginal in comparison to the Jeep 4.0 (even the pre-HO Renix ones.) My old Jeep was just a ballsy old fawker compared to any Ford V6 from the same era. The AW-4 and AX-15 transmissions seem to be pretty stout, but the AX-5 was not.

When I was working at the junkyard, it seemed like every single Explorer that came in either had a 4.0 with blown head gaskets or a bad A4LD. Most of the Jeeps from that era were just plain worn out all over but usually had much higher mileage, leading me to believe their drivetrain is more reliable.

Im not so savy on early sploders but dont they have optional v8s?
Nope, 4.0 only until 1995.

backwoods

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Just stay away from 2000 era exploders. My 2003 is the biggest piece of junk vehicle I have ever owned.

My 92 grand cherokee ran forever with no problems. My 94 explorer was a money pit for the electrical. (just like my 94 ranger is). You could not keep the gauges working.

Sent from my HTC Mecha using Tapatalk 2

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
Actually, I believe it's 1996 when the 302 became available.
And between the 5.0 and 4R70W it is rare to see one in the JY under 200k that hasn't been wrecked... I looked trying to find a lower mile PS pump and had to settle on 170k being as young as I could find... :annoyed:

The parents old '94 (4.0, A4LD) Explorer ran and drove pretty good at 180k, it was pretty gutless but 3.27's will do that to about anything. :rolleyes:

I like the styling of the Jeep better, and I like the axle format better... but stock for stock IMO the only thing the Ex will come up short on is the trans for strength... the A4LD. One thing to remember, Ford pumped them Ex's out like crazy and right now they are pretty much at beater status... and beaters don't get the best care.

Last edited:

shane96ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Nice. What's the specs?
I talked to him last night, and the stroker kit puts it at just over 250hp and over ft. lbs of torque. Like I mentioned before, this thing has torque galore. It was unbelievable when I drove it. It broke the brand new 33" BFG's loose when I punched it, already going 10-15mph. If it weren't for the ergonomics of the interior, it would be tempting to get one.

Last edited: