•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Updating the Tech Library Transmission section - Suggestions Needed

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Article Contributor
Reaction score
I want to update the Transmission Section in the Technical Library in the coming month(s).

The pages are old and I'm not sure how accurate the info is anymore. If you have ANY suggestions as to what should be added, changed or deleted from the page, please post them here. This includes part numbers, names of manufacturers, links, custom modifications, know problems or even cheap tricks.

Tranny Swaps -

I'm looking for as much info as I can get about transmission swaps. If you've performed a tranny swap or have information on a swap, please post up.

Thanks.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Are you adding any of the things in the submitted section on The forums?

There seems to be interest in the bushing write-up I did. Other than that I'm not sure.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Article Contributor
Reaction score
That page is done and waiting to get uploaded in the online mag here in about a week. By the way, what manual tranny is that for? I know people will be emailing me asking me if it will work on their xxxxx tranny.

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Jim,
If interested, i could write up a tech page/FAQ on the A4LD, 4R44E/5R55E auto trannys. A lot of questions I see here are very common issues.

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Subaru
Engine Size
I can also offer a write up on a 98+ Ranger 4x4 M5OD swap. Just let me know if you need me to do it, I'd be glad to write it up in a concise format.

Turbo-T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3Turbo
I'd like to see a writeup on swapping a M50D into an '83-'84 4X4 Ranger. Mainly a list of parts and changes.

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Article Contributor
Reaction score
I'll take any write ups you guys want to submit. Transmissions are topics that are frequently searched on this website. We can never have too much info.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Reaction score
I'd like to see a writeup on swapping a M50D into an '83-'84 4X4 Ranger. Mainly a list of parts and changes.
parts list will be roughly the same as any other Ranger a manual swap was done on...

Jim whenever i complete the write-up (sometime this week hopefully) i will get it to you...

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.5L-T
I'm interested in upgrading my turbo 2.5L's 4r44e to a 4.0L 5r55e.I've been told it can be done but I'm unsure how to mate it to my 2.5L plus wiring and internal problems.I don't think my eec can control a 5 speed trans.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Reaction score
Jim I started the write up in the Submission section. I hope to have it completed by the end of the weekend.

I didn't get quite as many pictures during the actual transmission swap, but I will be as descriptive as possible.

WildSide

Reaction score
How about some step by step rebuilds, can anyone do that?

Taragon

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and D60's F&R
If someone wants, I will do a step by step build of an M5OD. WITH pics!

PM me if youre interested in this write-up!

SuperRob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I'm doing an FM 146 - M5OD this week. Long as I can get ahold of a camera I'll do one as well. Otherwise I'll just do a text after its all said and done.

Bruce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Would you like some ATSG trouble shootin guides for A4LD, 4R44E and 5R55E i only go up to 2002 ?? Maybe at least the most common asked questions.

86freebie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
one thing that should be noted (and hopefully i did not just miss) is that the bushing replacement http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/winter2007/shifterbushings.htm is not for the 145 tranny:scare: i did buy the parts all of them...o_O. and does anyone know were to get the hole shifter assembly for the 145. as far as i can tell it AINT repairable. "parts in hand" it is one piece:icon_confused:

blind029

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I recently got a copy of the build sheet for my transmission that includes the shim thicknesses, rotating torques, exploded views, basically everything to tear down and rebuild for anyone who knows what to do with a manual transmission, is this something useful here?

rngrdngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
if i get some time i will do a step by step 4r44e/5r55e auto rebuild write up with the shift kit install.

RangerJake

Reaction score
I was going to start a new thread asking which transmissions a 4.0 will bolt up to but if you could just make that part of the website, I'm sure a lot of people would find that helpful. I have a '92 Explorer 4.0 and an '87 BII, not sure if it's Mazda or Mitsubishi but it's a 5 speed.

Fordman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Jim, if I would'a known, I just put an A4LD together. Coulda took some pics, and detail the dis n reassembly. Got a 4.0 tranny I will be tearing down and going through soon, setting it up for a 3.0 .